It's not bad. It sounds like a lot of the other stuff that's going on nowadays, but I do like where it's going. I guess it sounds a little 'safe' to me. Keep cracking at it, and I'm sure it'll turn into a pretty cool tune You might consider doing something interesting with the vocal melody so that it has something unique about it to make it pop a little more.

I would certainly try to start getting together the other instruments. I don't like the tone you've got going on, but I'm sure that has something to do with the recording more than anything. Maybe try rolling off some of the gain on your amp or preset or whatever? You've got a little too much distortion going and it's getting screechy/sounds like a Boss Metal Zone cranked (not good). You could also try mixing in a clean guitar for each of those guitars playing the same notes to retain some of the clarity. I promise either way will actually make your guitar tracks sound heavier and fuller.

I can tell you right away that one of the three guitars loses all of it's importance when that lead hits (it gets drowned out) and the rest of the time, whichever one is in the lower register could easily be replaced by the bass. I would actually run with that idea if at all possible (making one of those tracks the bass track). 3 guitars CAN work (Maiden proves that), but if your intention is to start playing this with a band, 3 guitarists is, more often than not, more hassle than it's worth.

Sorry, I kind of assumed you wanted constructive criticism so that's what I gave you
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 21, 2014,
Well, not bad from what I can tell conceptually but the recording itself was real rough. If you don't mind me asking what are you recording through?

The recording makes it hard to really critique this because its hard to differentiate the guitars. Sounds workable though. Good Luck!!
Quote by mjones1992
It's not bad. It sounds like a lot of the other stuff that's going on nowadays, but I do like where it's going. I guess it sounds a little 'safe' to me. Keep cracking at it, and I'm sure it'll turn into a pretty cool tune You might consider doing something interesting with the vocal melody so that it has something unique about it to make it pop a little more.

I would certainly try to start getting together the other instruments. I don't like the tone you've got going on, but I'm sure that has something to do with the recording more than anything. Maybe try rolling off some of the gain on your amp or preset or whatever? You've got a little too much distortion going and it's getting screechy/sounds like a Boss Metal Zone cranked (not good). You could also try mixing in a clean guitar for each of those guitars playing the same notes to retain some of the clarity. I promise either way will actually make your guitar tracks sound heavier and fuller.

I can tell you right away that one of the three guitars loses all of it's importance when that lead hits (it gets drowned out) and the rest of the time, whichever one is in the lower register could easily be replaced by the bass. I would actually run with that idea if at all possible (making one of those tracks the bass track). 3 guitars CAN work (Maiden proves that), but if your intention is to start playing this with a band, 3 guitarists is, more often than not, more hassle than it's worth.

Sorry, I kind of assumed you wanted constructive criticism so that's what I gave you

Thanks for feedback! It's my first song, so I'm trying to keep it simple.
I will definitely have to work on the tone, as well as recording process (recorded it with a tablet... :/).
I agree, three guitars seem unnecessary, maybe I could do it with only one (bass would play root notes of chords, like you said). I'll think about adding one more when I get some experience in songwriting.

The only problem is with the other instruments. I have drums, so I could probably record drums track (even though I'm not much of drummer), and use some effects to make electric guitar sound like bass, but I think that'd be very unprofessional. Unfortunately there are no musicians where I live.

Quote by pushingthrough

Well, not bad from what I can tell conceptually but the recording itself was real rough. If you don't mind me asking what are you recording through?

The recording makes it hard to really critique this because its hard to differentiate the guitars. Sounds workable though. Good Luck!!

Thanks!
I'm a little ashamed of it, but I recorded it with my tablet camera... I know it makes quality shitty, but I don't have the necessary cable (jack-mini jack) to record through a sound card yet. Haven't put much thought into tone/distortion setup, too. Sorry. I'll upload a better quality version soon.

Quote by 666monkeys

get rid of the dead notes at the beggining, try using some feedback noise.

I used them only to mark the beginning of the track (all guitars played by me). Actually, I was thinking about using some natural harmonics in the verse.