I know you are supposed to love the bridge, but I just don't. I have a strat and usually play on the neck and middle. The bridge just seems too bright. Anything I can do to change that?
"Sometimes you have to go insane, to out sane the sane"- Mortecai
FWIW, I'm not wild about strat SC bridge pickups either. Here are some options, some of which I have used:

Get an HSS strat.

Put a small cap between pickup hot and ground, to take some of the edge off it.

Put some grounded shielding (eg aluminium foil) under the pickup cover.

Wire the bridge pickup into the tone control and use treble cut on it.

Get a strat SC-sized humbucker.

Wind the treble off at the amp.
What type of a sound are you going for?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
is your tone knob connected to your bridge pickup? on vintage-style strats it's generally not. if it's not, that's (probably) the first thing to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didn't like mine either. I got a DM Tone Zone S. Not much treble. Problem solved!

Is changing pickups an option for you?
Quote by Dave_Mc
is your tone knob connected to your bridge pickup? on vintage-style strats it's generally not. if it's not, that's (probably) the first thing to do.

+1. Move one wire and you get a tone control on the bridge. Do that and mess with the height of the pickup before you go spending money on new stuff.
Another Strat player here. I'd say it is generally about how you play. A Strat bridge-pickup is generally quite bright, but that is definitely not a disadvantage. With that said, there are of course ways to change the gear to suit a particular playing style.

As a Strat and Tele-player, I find that other players who are used to humbucker-equipped guitars really struggle to play these at first, because you have to approach it in such a different way. Especially if we're talking about quite heavily distorted hard-rock, which is what I play.

A slightly hotter Strat bridge pickup is my absolute favourite guitar sound ever while distorted. What I like about it is that it cuts through, allows dynamics and does not have a lot of unnecessary bass. You can do a lot of rakes and other percussive effects before striking a note, something that doesn't work that well on a Les Paul with humbuckers - it just creates a boomy noise that isn't musical in the slightest.

One does really have to use these characteristics to an advantage - if you play it like you wish it was a Les Paul, or an Ibanez RG etc - you will not get much use out of the sounds, because it will not sound particularly good. Dig in, and see where it takes you.

If you're really set on your playing style and do not want to experiment, I'd recommend you a single-coiled sized humbucker from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio. A direct swap for a Strat-pickup.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Dave_Mc

This is what I was gonna say. And it's not just the vintage-style ones, either. The majority of Strats, old and new, have no tone control on the bridge pickup. Wire a tone knob to it, and you can roll off some of that high-end. Probably all you need.
Generally, I dislike any bridge pickups I've played, I always stay in the neck and/or middle position. I didn't know you were supposed to love the bridge pickup.

I actually find that the bridge pickup is much more harsh on a Strat when it's a humbucker, which I hate in clean in most situations, but I like with some dirt.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm definitely not savvy with electronics. Do you mean, can one of the tone knobs control the bridge pickup? I might try giving this a go.
Agreed. I pretty much only use it for hi-gain leads. That being said on some guitars it sounds really nice. Check out the D. Allen voodoo 69 pickups demo on their website. They sound really, really good, regardless of the position.

That being said, yes, you can do that (tone control). Check out DiMarzio's website, they have all kinds of wiring diagrams for all your needs, and I'm sure that other websites have plenty as well... I think it's pretty much unsoldering the connection of the tone pot to the middle pickup lead and moving it to the bridge pickup lead (see Roc's post above)...

Actually that could make for a neat little mod: you solder a wire to each of the middle and bridge pickup and to a switch, and another one from the switch to the tone pot, and you can select which pickup your tone pot will affect. Right? That'd work...
Last edited by OliveG at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
Generally, I dislike any bridge pickups I've played, I always stay in the neck and/or middle position. I didn't know you were supposed to love the bridge pickup.

I actually find that the bridge pickup is much more harsh on a Strat when it's a humbucker, which I hate in clean in most situations, but I like with some dirt.

I'm definitely not savvy with electronics. Do you mean, can one of the tone knobs control the bridge pickup? I might try giving this a go.

Yeah. By default, your bridge pickup is probably not wired to either of the tone knobs. But it's very simple to make one of them do it. Here's a good guide on how to do it. Or, if you're not confident doing it yourself, any guitar tech can do it for you, and probably won't charge you more than 5 or 10 bucks, if anything, since it'll only take him like 5 minutes.

http://menga.net/why-doesnt-the-tone-control-work-for-the-bridge-pickup-on-a-stratocaster
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah. By default, your bridge pickup is probably not wired to either of the tone knobs. But it's very simple to make one of them do it. Here's a good guide on how to do it. Or, if you're not confident doing it yourself, any guitar tech can do it for you, and probably won't charge you more than 5 or 10 bucks, if anything, since it'll only take him like 5 minutes.

http://menga.net/why-doesnt-the-tone-control-work-for-the-bridge-pickup-on-a-stratocaster

Thanks. Mine actually is connected, though.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 21, 2014,
I'm not a fan of bridge single coils either, really. Too bright.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Roc8995
+1. Move one wire and you get a tone control on the bridge. Do that and mess with the height of the pickup before you go spending money on new stuff.

Even with the tone knob on 10 you'll get a little less treble than with no tone knob there at all.

Quote by the_bi99man
This is what I was gonna say. And it's not just the vintage-style ones, either. The majority of Strats, old and new, have no tone control on the bridge pickup. Wire a tone knob to it, and you can roll off some of that high-end. Probably all you need.

Quote by chrismendiola

yeah. if you can solder competently (i can't ) you can rewire it pretty easily. The easiest way is probably to do what roc/colin said.

personally i'd probably prefer one tone knob for the bridge pickup and the other one for both the middle and neck singles, since i'd generally leave the tone knob full-up for the neck and middle and it's only really the bridge pickup which i'd have it rolled back on (though as i said above, even just having the tone knob there, even if left to 10, might roll off enough highs already).

that's in theory, though, i haven't got as far as trying it yet

Quote by chrismendiola
Thanks. Mine actually is connected, though.

if yours is connected then that's different

does yours have the no-load tone knob, though? most of the USA strats have that, I think. that means the tone knob is out of the circuit when on 10 (unlike with a regular tone knob).

i guess what i'm saying is, it's definitely possible to still think a strat bridge pickup is too bright even if you do have a tone knob there. But if you don't you might as well try it first before spending money, just in case it solves your problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by Fret Frier
I know you are supposed to love the bridge, but I just don't. I have a strat and usually play on the neck and middle. The bridge just seems too bright. Anything I can do to change that?

I'd suggest leaving it alone.

I'm guessing you're relatively new to guitar playing (don't mean to insult you if you're a 40-year veteran). If you pick up an acoustic guitar and strum it very close to the bridge, you'll notice a much brighter sound overall than if you strum over the sound hole. By the same token, if you put exactly the same pickup in three different spots along the string length, you'll get three different sounds. Thus, the bridge pickup's location gives you brighter sounds (and usually less volume) than the one near the fretboard.

While you may not care for it now, you'll find that your tastes change over time as you play guitar. And you'll begin to find uses for that bright, trebly sound. If not, you've got four other positions on that selector switch, plus a lot of tone control on both the guitar and the amp. There are also a lot of EQ pedals on the market. Try one of those for a while. If you're determined to spend money, buy an EQ pedal first.
^ if nothing else you'll get older and not be able to hear high frequencies as well
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?