Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some help on a bit of a fixer-upper I recently picked up for 40 bucks from an old music store display.

As far as I know, it's a 60's model Japanese guitar. It looks similar to some Teisco models, particularly the Audition Zenon, but it has the paint stripped (which I actually love) and a few of the details look different from what I've seen online.

Anyway, I'm in love with this thing. It's got that sweet Jaguar-type feel to it, but with some Ry Cooder (I think) gold foil pickups. I love the sound it puts out, and I just cleaned out the electronics so it sounds brand spankin' new.

The only real downside I've found is that the intonation is off. For every string, the notes get progressively sharp up the neck (they're all equally sharp at the 12th fret compared to the open note).

But, this thing has a weird roller/spacing adjustment bridge that doesn't have an intonation adjustment.

I'm not sure what to do. I took it to a guitar tech and he basically looked at it for 30 seconds and said "well, the neck looks pretty straight so there's nothing you can do except get a new guitar." Obviously that wasn't a fun conversation.

Any thoughts? Neck adjustment? Bridge replacement?

You'd have to replace the bridge. A neck adjustment isn't going to do anything if it's straight already.
I'd look around for a few more tech opinions. That's a unique bridge, it'd be really cool to preserve it. The guitar looks a lil classier than a Teisco, but spiffy aesthetics and playability issues definitely fit Teisco's "m.o.". At $40, with the killer looks, I'd think it'd be worth paying a couple hundred bucks to get into player shape. Good luck with the bridge though, I'd do all I could to save it but if its gotta go hopefully it won't take too much of the aesthetic vibe of the guitar with it. HNGD! Wish I'da stumbled across that for $40, the looks alone would make it worth the gamble.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You might be lucky. If you removed the block that the bridge is mounted on you might be able to fit a tune-o-matic in there. You'll need to get the measurements and work out if it's possible. I daresay that you may have to do some surgery but it would certainly be worth at least investigating. There are quite a few types of ToM bridges. Take measurements of the guitar and compare them to what you can find.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I bet that either the neck or the body is not original. After looking at various Teisco zenon auditions on ebay, I noticed your guitar neck has 1 more fret than the other Zenons. Another difference from alot of the zenons I see out there (especially those with the white plastic pickguard instead of the metal) is that the truss rod is accessed on the bottom instead of on top by the tuners. The distance between the 12th fret and the bridge must be exactly the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the nut for the instrument to tune correctly. Hope this helps! Nice looking guitar so far.
Not sure if you ever did anything with this yet, but I have the same guitar. I just unscrewed the bridge and moved it back some... Intonation is pretty close now.
Edit: I just taped it in place. Didn't effect the sustain any that I can notice.
Last edited by nkdldytnr at Feb 5, 2015,