Before you laugh at me, hear me out. I've been playing the guitar for about 3 years now and I know a lot about playing. In my opinion, I think my guitar sounds all right. But whenever I record myself playing, it sounds terrible. Why is that? Do I just suck? Is it the guitar or its strings? The microphone I'm using?

-My guitar is tuned.
-Using a Rouge RD80 Dreadnought Acoustic to play and a yeti microphone to record
-Using D'Addario light phosphor bronze strings. (last replaced 1 month ago)

Thanks!
It's probably either your mic or mic placement or both, I don't know much about recording but with acoustic both of those things are phenomenally important when it comes to getting a good sound.

You really should ask this in the recordings forum, they'll be able to help you out. Although I would suggest that when you ask you be more specific about the mic you have. "yeti mic" isn't very helpful. I would also suggest that if you can't specify exactly what mic you have then that will be the first thing they point you towards as a solution.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If possible, try recording by plugging your guitar through your computer's line in in conjunction with a rig simulator like AmpliTube.

If it sounds okay-to-good, then it's your equipment and how you use them; if it sounds bad, then congrats on finding a good way to practice: recording and listening to yourself.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
You should start off by posting a recording of your playing. That would help anyone try to find the problem.

It's probably one of the following
1.You can't play to a metronome
2.No sense of time
3.Bad mic placement

I'm just guessing until you post something.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by Kyleisthename
You should start off by posting a recording of your playing. That would help anyone try to find the problem.

Archer didn't even read your post so ignore his advice.

It's probably one of the following
1.You can't play to a metronome
2.No sense of time
3.Bad mic placement

I'm just guessing until you post something.

I didn't read the gear part. Sorry.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
When you asking these kind of question post an example. It will help a lot.

A large part of the reason is your room youre recording in sucks. I don't need to see it or even hear about it but I know it sucks. Why? Because most every home recording room sucks. You need to acoustically treat a room to make it suck less.

What gear are you listening back on? Headphones? Crappy computer speakers?

Where are you are placing the mic? Have you done any research on mic placement at all?

Recording the part again and panning in stereo with a little reverb can go a long way too.

There are lots of reasons it can suck, we need a sample recording.
Last edited by mogo22 at Sep 21, 2014,
Meh I don't care how good your guitar playing is if you record with shitty equipment you're bound to sound like shit. Not to mention it has a lot of different things to do with it like mixing... Have you ever heard a song composed before it's mixed? It sounds like pure chaos everything's all over the place.. It sounds like everyone's playing in different rooms this is why mixing is a huge part of the recording process man.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I probably should've placed a sample recording for you guys to hear but I forgot :P Anyway, I'll definitely be taking your advice of recording in a better acoustic area and better mic placement. Thanks again everyone!
Quote by CordialMoss21
Thanks to everyone who replied! I probably should've placed a sample recording for you guys to hear but I forgot :P Anyway, I'll definitely be taking your advice of recording in a better acoustic area and better mic placement. Thanks again everyone!

Or just post a recording now...
Chances are you wont be able to fix it to your liking by just attempting to do what we say. If you really want to fix it there is nothing that will help more than us hearing a recording.