Hi guys, over the past few days I got some new pedals!

-Krank footswitch
-Maestro PS1A
-MXR M75 Super Badass Distortion.

Not much to say about the FS, pretty much nothing special about it, very solid construction though.

The phaser is a HUGE pedal, but with huge pedals comes huge gobs of yummy tone. These phasers are the best hands down (not that I've played any others, but I'm pretty darn sure of my assumption). I had the maestro MSP, but I sold it due to a car bill... I was lucky enough to snipe this one on ebay for $105, a steal compared to the normal $200-300 they go for. I have it on ebay now, not too sure I want to sell it but I kinda want the monies for a MFX unit or more pedals. Here is a poor attempt at some EVH, I played it really well but then realized I forgot to turn on my recorder, and got kinda psyched out and delivered this mess:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/jgm258/media/IMG_4376_zps1f365754.mp4.html

The EVH is on the slow phase, the clean on medium. I didn't bother with the fast phase, it pretty much sounds like really trippy circus music lol. The video really doesn't do it much justice at all, it sounds way better in person.

Now for the MXR,

NOT happy with this guy. Here are the tones I'm looking for:

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Iron Maiden - The classics
Dream Theater
Dokken (Mr. Scary type of tone)

And here is my gear:
Fender USA Deluxe HSH
Krank Chadwick 2x12 combo amp
Pedals in this thread

This pedal really failed to deliver, I couldn't get close to anything when boosting the clean channel. Using the OD channel, (envelope and gain knobs were at one each, any more led to extreme fizz), my tone was almost exactly the same as when I tried to dial in the mentioned tones running my amp without any effects (except a little punchier but fizzier). I messed around with it for probably 3 hours over two days and I was never convinced that I had a better tone than I did without it... Its going on ebay tomorrow.

Now I'm looking at the HD500x again... Any suggestions about what I should do with my budget of less than $500? As usual I'm lost again in my search for these tones. Maybe I need some new pickups? idk....

Pic:

Thanks friends!
Last edited by JGM258 at Sep 21, 2014,
i could have told you that. i keep telling people to stop buying the generic crap out of guitar center. MXR makes "SOME" good stuff. about half their stuff i wouldnt use if you gave it to me.

HD500X? the line 6 modeller? jeez dude. thats a bit more than a pedal dont you think? so you dont like a 70 dollar pedal and your response is to buy a 500 dollar multi-effects? a bit drastic here.

chances are what you want exists in abundance, but unless in the used section no fool in guitar center will ever sell it to you. there are awesome distortions out there in the 150-200 range. sure some lower but for the stuff that starts to stand out, i find the "up to 200" can be really great. there are awesome ones over 20 but man thats a lot of cash (the bogners, custom made ones, wampler wreck, etc).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Holy shit that phaser is impractically gigantic! HNP(the size of a shoebox)D!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You need an overdrive pedal meant for boosting your amp. Ibanez ts9, ehx soul food, fulltone ocd, xotic Bb preamp....I mean there's tons.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ikey_
i could have told you that. i keep telling people to stop buying the generic crap out of guitar center. MXR makes "SOME" good stuff. about half their stuff i wouldnt use if you gave it to me.

HD500X? the line 6 modeller? jeez dude. thats a bit more than a pedal dont you think? so you dont like a 70 dollar pedal and your response is to buy a 500 dollar multi-effects? a bit drastic here.

chances are what you want exists in abundance, but unless in the used section no fool in guitar center will ever sell it to you. there are awesome distortions out there in the 150-200 range. sure some lower but for the stuff that starts to stand out, i find the "up to 200" can be really great. there are awesome ones over 20 but man thats a lot of cash (the bogners, custom made ones, wampler wreck, etc).

I really want the tones mentioned pretty bad(not exactly, just reasonably close), whether that means getting the HD500X(been interested in this for more than one effect of course) or a $300 OD and then building up from there. I've always heard the Bogner Red Ecstasy was really good, is that what I want? Whenever I get burned on a piece of junk like this, I feel like only the best will satisfy me, and I'm willing to pay for the best.

Quote by lucky1978

Holy shit that phaser is impractically gigantic! HNP(the size of a shoebox)D!

Quote by ibanezguitars44

You need an overdrive pedal meant for boosting your amp. Ibanez ts9, ehx soul food, fulltone ocd, xotic Bb preamp....I mean there's tons.

Yeah, I just was really swindled by the demos on youtube. and because it says super badass on it
Why would you need to spend $300 on an overdrive? Just grab something decent like a Green Rhino or a Hardwire CM-2 or a Timmy or a Soul Food. Really, the choices for good overdrives is immense without having to go crazy.

Btw. I really want to see a gut shot of that phaser.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Why would you need to spend $300 on an overdrive? Just grab something decent like a Green Rhino or a Hardwire CM-2 or a Timmy or a Soul Food. Really, the choices for good overdrives is immense without having to go crazy.

Btw. I really want to see a gut shot of that phaser.

I guess I'll go try some at Sam Ash, but I would expect that a highly regarded $300 pedal will be better than a respected $100-150 boost.

If you want anything more specific, lmk.

Quote by NakedInTheRain

does your amp get the tones you want? if not, time to go shopping for a new amp. pedals won't fix shit.

That is one thing I did not want to read. I'd say my amp gets about 40-70% the mentioned tones on its own. but does that really mean I need a new amp? Not looking forward to that if its true...
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

+1

Boss SD1 is another good one.

Basically, do you want something middy/compressed/tightening of the low end to make pinch harmonics jump out and generally make everything awesome? Get something tubescreamer- or SD1-based.

Do you want something more transparent, more like just turning your amp up a little bit? Get a timmy/soul food/digitech screamin blues/boss bd2/something marshall bluesbreaker (v1)-based/nobels odr1.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard

Haha, whats so crazy about it?

Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Boss SD1 is another good one.

Basically, do you want something middy/compressed/tightening of the low end to make pinch harmonics jump out and generally make everything awesome? Get something tubescreamer- or SD1-based.

Do you want something more transparent, more like just turning your amp up a little bit? Get a timmy/soul food/digitech screamin blues/boss bd2/something marshall bluesbreaker (v1)-based/nobels odr1.

I'm pretty sure I want something SD1 ish. I guess that's what this sounds like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehLzY8sjKUg
Sounds compressed to me, I doubt a OD by itself will get me this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmxXApFGc48
First 40 seconds is what I'm looking for in this one, super crunchy.

Idk, I guess I'll just go to SA and see, but some prior input is always much appreciated.
yeah i'd go with an sd1 for that (maiden, the queensryche one is more 50:50 between it and a tubescreamer).

bear in mind it only gets saturated like that if you use the pedal to boost your amp's od channel. (the chadwick is one of the marshally kranks, isn't it? i've only tried the original rev and krankenstein.)

and also that that sort of fizz can also be the speakers- g12t75s are kind of fizzy like that, for example. you can have too much fizz if you combine, say, an sd1 with g12t75s. in most instances I'd probably want one or the other, unless i actually really wanted fizz. what speakers are in your chadwick? i'm guessing eminence v12 legends, but I could be wrong. If so they're smoother so an SD1 would be the thing.

And yeah I actually bothered reading your initial post I'd also use an SD1 for mr scary. it's pretty fizzy-sounding too. queensryche is probably fairly marshally/fizzy too, at least from what i can remember (i have the best of so i'm a bit hazy on which QR stuff is from which album )

Dream theater would be more 50:50, maybe more towards a tubescreamer. there's not an absolute ton of difference, though. I reckon an SD1 would be just fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2014,
Is it just me, or does that circuit board look like it's about 1/4 the size of the enclosure?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
Is it just me, or does that circuit board look like it's about 1/4 the size of the enclosure?

Just you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i'd go with an sd1 for that (maiden, the queensryche one is more 50:50 between it and a tubescreamer).

bear in mind it only gets saturated like that if you use the pedal to boost your amp's od channel. (the chadwick is one of the marshally kranks, isn't it? i've only tried the original rev and krankenstein.)

and also that that sort of fizz can also be the speakers- g12t75s are kind of fizzy like that, for example. you can have too much fizz if you combine, say, an sd1 with g12t75s. in most instances I'd probably want one or the other, unless i actually really wanted fizz. what speakers are in your chadwick? i'm guessing eminence v12 legends, but I could be wrong. If so they're smoother so an SD1 would be the thing.

And yeah I actually bothered reading your initial post I'd also use an SD1 for mr scary. it's pretty fizzy-sounding too. queensryche is probably fairly marshally/fizzy too, at least from what i can remember (i have the best of so i'm a bit hazy on which QR stuff is from which album )

Dream theater would be more 50:50, maybe more towards a tubescreamer. there's not an absolute ton of difference, though. I reckon an SD1 would be just fine.

Yes the Chadwick is more Marshally, but its not like a DSL, less gain that that. It has Eminence Texas Heat speakers, I hope they are suitable for my genres?

I'm watching a SD1 and a OCD Fulltone right now, I'm going to pick up both if I can.
Are the vintage SD1's better (Japan)? I can get one of those instead. If these don't work out I'll get a TS.

@tas38 You are right, the circuit board only makes up maybe 40% of the enclosure!

EDIT
I went ahead and bought a Japan SD1 on ebay for $40, the color is better and i like MIJ stuff. However people say the tone is the same, w/e
Last edited by JGM258 at Sep 22, 2014,
^ i've never tried the MIJ bosses. As you said, I'm not sure there's meant to be a ton of difference with the sd1, but for $40 it's not like it's going to be the end of the world.

texas heats are more american-sounding and pretty warm and chunky (and modern). they wouldn't be my first pick for those tones. i wouldn't necessarily run out and swap them immediately or anything like that, but they're not helping, either. you'd ideally want something british-sounding, and not too modern, for those type of tones you listed.

i'd wait until the sd1 arrives before you do anything, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out some TS style pedals with clipping/character options. For the ultimate, be all end all in TS versatility, look at the Earthquaker Palisades. That's what I'm talking about. But also look at the CMAT Signa Drive, that's similar to a far less extreme degree.

EDIT: SD-1s are noisy as shit, I don't consider them high quality or worth having. I didn't have an MIJ one, but I did have a transitionary MIT black label version, which I assume was built the same way as the MIJ. I have an MXR M77 now, which sounds extremely close to the SD-1, but is quieter and has a lot more tone shaping options. Nothing special or worth having about the SD-1 when the M77 is an option, IMO. The only thing the SD-1 has going for it is the price, which doesn't appear to be a big concern in your case.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 22, 2014,
okay you kinda went the wrong direction. i mean, im nto trying to get youto spend 500 bucks but also not 40, or on an SD-1. i mean, it does it job. but i find it generic. i also dislike boss's buffering in general.

i personally think in the 130-200 range, you can get a totally boutique, unique, 100% pedal for you if you search hard enough. i oersonally would squeeze that into a 135 - 175 price range. perhaps for a TS clone i would go about 135 max (a la my SIGNA drive) but perhaps for something unique, or with a built in boost, etc up to 175-200.

but personally, pedals like OCD are up to 150 bucks in guitar center. not bad. quality. built to last and gig worth, but really? generic, everyone has it, not unique, and personally, it think it just sounds dull and like an over gained mainstream tone. i think people just like it cause its like a hot rodded tube screamer and because of that its "special".

no. not really. for 150, there are 5000 pedals out there that do teh same or more with more quality and uniqueness.

my 2 cents. it just may involve buying them without testing in person. hopefully the organization has a good return policy and you did your research. or...you may live in close proximity to teh builder.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by JGM258
Haha, whats so crazy about it?
Extremely amateurish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ikey_
okay you kinda went the wrong direction. i mean, im nto trying to get youto spend 500 bucks but also not 40, or on an SD-1. i mean, it does it job. but i find it generic. i also dislike boss's buffering in general.

i personally think in the 130-200 range, you can get a totally boutique, unique, 100% pedal for you if you search hard enough. i oersonally would squeeze that into a 135 - 175 price range. perhaps for a TS clone i would go about 135 max (a la my SIGNA drive) but perhaps for something unique, or with a built in boost, etc up to 175-200.

but personally, pedals like OCD are up to 150 bucks in guitar center. not bad. quality. built to last and gig worth, but really? generic, everyone has it, not unique, and personally, it think it just sounds dull and like an over gained mainstream tone. i think people just like it cause its like a hot rodded tube screamer and because of that its "special".

no. not really. for 150, there are 5000 pedals out there that do teh same or more with more quality and uniqueness.

my 2 cents. it just may involve buying them without testing in person. hopefully the organization has a good return policy and you did your research. or...you may live in close proximity to teh builder.

Thanks for the input, I'll try to go to SA tomorrow and see what they have on tap.
I just bought the boss just in case it happens to sound amazing and i could resell it for maybe a $10 loss, no bigge.

@Cathbard
Yeah it doesn't look very complicated lol. How electronics have changed since '74!
Still sounds incredible though!
Quote by ikey_

Could you give some examples? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but there's a lot of talk of options but none listed. I'm sure a little list could help OP and I'm curious as well
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Offworld92

EDIT: SD-1s are noisy as shit, I don't consider them high quality or worth having. I didn't have an MIJ one, but I did have a transitionary MIT black label version, which I assume was built the same way as the MIJ. I have an MXR M77 now, which sounds extremely close to the SD-1, but is quieter and has a lot more tone shaping options. Nothing special or worth having about the SD-1 when the M77 is an option, IMO. The only thing the SD-1 has going for it is the price, which doesn't appear to be a big concern in your case.

How close does it sound? I'm seriously considering pickup up an SD1 (currently have a cheapo daphon clone), I don't much want to spend over double for the MXR. I find the daphon just fine, for example.

I'm also kind of wary because I've tried pedals before which supposedly "improved" a classic circuit and I didn't necessarily like them as much.

Quote by ikey_
(a) okay you kinda went the wrong direction. i mean, im nto trying to get youto spend 500 bucks but also not 40, or on an SD-1. i mean, it does it job. but i find it generic. (b) i also dislike boss's buffering in general.

(c) i personally think in the 130-200 range, you can get a totally boutique, unique, 100% pedal for you if you search hard enough. i oersonally would squeeze that into a 135 - 175 price range. perhaps for a TS clone i would go about 135 max (a la my SIGNA drive) but perhaps for something unique, or with a built in boost, etc up to 175-200.

(a) I disagree. I think an sd1 is what he wants. He doesn't want or need something boutique, because back then, with those tones he's after, they were most likely just using an SD1 or a tubescreamer.

(b) granted

(c) You mean like a glorified tubescreamer with clipping options?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I went to Sam Ash today and was really disappointed by the lack of selection.
First off was a Green Rhino which was an ok pedal, nothing jumping out at me at all. Next were the Pigtronix Fat overdrive and the XL, both were fizzy as hell and I barely touched them before deciding they were a definite no. Then I had a three way battle between the Wampler Paisley, Pinnacle Standard, and Euphoria. I quickly decided the Euphoria was not for me but the other two seemed great in store. They really didn't have much else for OD/s and distortion.

I took the Paisley home for further testing and am not really impressed, especially for$220 + tax... I guess the other people playing made me think it was better than it was. I'm SUPER curious to see what the BOSS SD1 sounds like, if that one is lackluster too, I may be in the market for another amp pretty soon...

Interesting, I'll kep ya'll posted.
does your combo have an extension speaker socket? I'd want to try it with more british-style speakers before I wrote off the amp just yet. I've tried my laney gh50L (more or less a hot-rodded marshall) with my texas heat/swamp thang combo and it doesn't really sound marshally any more when I do that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does your combo have an extension speaker socket? I'd want to try it with more british-style speakers before I wrote off the amp just yet. I've tried my laney gh50L (more or less a hot-rodded marshall) with my texas heat/swamp thang combo and it doesn't really sound marshally any more when I do that.

Yup, its exactly the same as the head, just mounted on a cab. I will try your suggestion, but it might be a while before I can get back there. I'll probably go to GC next time, I don't like popping in the same music store too often.

More on the Wampler, it DOES give my amp a little (note little) more punch. But I don't feel like its doing that much, maybe this amp doesn't take OD pedals so well, but it takes the phaser just fine... I don't really know what to think.

Yes I'd love to try the HD500X, I'll try it at GC too.
My instructor sent me this link and you know what? I'm done searching for tone, for now at least.
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=13100.0

Otherwise, the SD1 is VERY similar to the Paisley, and at 1/5 of the price its no contest. The Wampler is going back and I am going to try to focus more on practicing instead of fraking about my tone, which there ain't much i can do about anyway.
A little inspiration that backs my decision:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he7WgkbiWwU

I'm not getting there fretting over gear!

Thanks guys!
yeah you can worry too much about gear

that being said you can not care at all about it which i think is silly too. some gear (not necessarily the super-expensive stuff) does make it easier to sound the way you want, especially if you're currently using totally unsuitable kit.

also from that link, lol, they mentioned thaddeus hogarth. if i were someone who couldn't tell a joyo OCD clone from a boutique overdrive I'd probably keep quiet about what's important when it comes to tone
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?