I've been a part of a temporary band for a few months now, we play 80's thrash which isn't really my thing, but I wanted to have some experience playing in a band, and maybe even some live experience. So the point of the band is that the other guitarist wants to play his own songs before he hits the army in January, and since I have nothing against thrash I agreed in being a temporary lead guitarist for his project. It's pretty fun and all, I'm now good friends with everyone in the band and It's somewhat fun, even though I went through the Metallica phase years ago.

The first and the most annoying problem however is the other guitarists, the "leader" of the band. He really doesn't think that he's that much behind me in guitar playing (he has only played half the time I've played), even though he has huge problems with his rhythm playing. He is completely oblivious to the fact that he can't even play Metallica songs like Fight Fire with Fire or For Whom the Bell Tolls correctly, since his phrasing and timing are way off. Now, I don't want to play a live gig where we cover a Metallica song and we can't play it correctly, that would be just embarrassing. I don't really know how to tell him, I've tried mentioning it a few times but he just shrugs it off saying that it sounds the same anyway.

The more serious problem is money. I'm a poor guy, really. I finished upper secondary school in June and I've worked for three weeks in the following three months, barely having enough money for basic needs. We bought a PA system for the band, and all agreed that we'd pay some money for it. I'd only pay 100-150e and they said that I could get it back when I quit the band. I haven't paid it yet, I get my paycheck in the end of the month. This all sounded like a good deal, but then I got a letter from the freaking government ordering me to start my civil service in November. So now I only have a month left before I have to quit the band, and there is no bloody point in giving away my money and then getting it back in a month, especially since I really can't be sure that I get paid back. But how do I explain this? "Sorry, I'm a dick and I'm not paying even though I agreed to"? You need to understand that the other guitarist earns almost 2000e a month, and I earn maybe 600e if I'm really lucky.

This is the most successful band I've been a part of so far, which is pretty ironic. I appreciate any help from more experienced musicians.
you just have to be honest and up-front with your band members with both subjects. I would never want to cover any song live if it can't be played correctly, tell him to practice his ass off!! nothing wrong with that, and if you're going to have to quit the band in a month and a half, they should be understanding about the PA thing too
I have no idea what you should do about the PA system. Maybe someone else can address that with some proper advice.

Regarding the 'leader'. A band I quit about 6 months ago had the same situation. Our 'leader' had issues with rhythm and articulation and had an attitude or would brush it off when someone would say something about it.

It turned out, that he really did know he had issues with those things, but was insecure about it. People can be incredibly insecure about music, as you probably well know. That's why most people say they "can't sing" even though nearly every human on the planet has the ability to sing.

What really got him to make some efforts into fixing it was to listen to himself play. Do you have any way to record what you guys sound like? We had this Sony (or was it Tascam?) thing that the drummer owned and we'd record our practices and listen to them back at the end. Hearing his mistakes and how it was ruining the sound of entire sections got him to make the effort.

If that fails, maybe playing it 'to the record' at practice for awhile will help. I know that that's helped in a number of cover bands I've been in. Just throw that song on the new PA system and play along to it 2-3 times then play it without the record.

If all of that fails, it may be time to just bite the bullet. I've played in bands (live) where the incompetence of others has made the whole band sound pretty 'eh'. It's part of playing music, and would actually be a good lesson/experience for you if your main goal was to get more experience playing with a band.

It's called 'Damage Control' and it's an awesome skill to have. You have to be able to react to other's mistakes on stage and make things sound better or at least passable. It'll also make you less nervous the next time you go on stage with a new band some day, because no matter what, it won't be as bad as that one time

If you have to go that route, make sure you know your parts backwards and forwards and can play the song all the way through without making mistakes (also make sure you can start from other parts of the song. i.e. start from the chorus). I know it seems like the most embarrassing thing in the world, but at least you know you have YOUR bases covered, and playing bad shows is an important thing to experience if you plan on doing this more in the years to come.
Stepping out, I'm leaving here,
No use crying, crying in my beer,
Enough's enough, believe it's true,
Bite The Bullet, I'm leaving you
Said goodbye, I left a note,
But I don't remember, just what I wrote,
The same old words, to say we're through,

So that's the way it always ends,
Get sympathy from all your friends,
Seems there's nothing, nothing else to do,
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Thank you for the advice, however I know that I should be honest and up-front, I'm just trying to figure out if I'm the one who is right here. And I never even considered going through with it even if he doesn't practice them, I always just thought that I would just decline if I were to be asked to play live with them in this state. Recording is also a good idea, we have only recorded our own songs which he can play so far, and I'm not sure if they want to record the covers. And sorry 91RG350, I have no idea what you're trying to say
Quote by guitar/bass95
And sorry 91RG350, I have no idea what you're trying to say

He was giving you the chorus to a new Thrash song, titled "I'm Outta Here".

OT:
Just be honest with the band, man. If they can't understand, then it's not worth it in the first place.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
He was giving you the chorus to a new Thrash song, titled "I'm Outta Here".

OT:
Just be honest with the band, man. If they can't understand, then it's not worth it in the first place.

Oh, I see

And you're probably right, I consider myself a pretty musical guy, I'm at the moment really into genres like jazz and prog, and it just makes me cringe when someone can't the tell the difference between a quarter note and an 8th note by ear. It just doesn't feel that healthy to be practicing pentatonic solos and thrash riffs when I'm really trying to write modal jazz fusion at home. Especially when the bandmates can't even handle the thrash
Pfft.... peoples....

Its the lyrics to "Bite The Bullet" by a little known band called Motorhead off a little known album called Ace Of Spades

I was echoing Lemmys mindset as it applies to your situation, TS... that is to say...pack up and leave.

You will find other people to play with...after all..... the chase is better than the catch....

(I can't post those lyrics here.... too sordid!)
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
I don't know enough Motörhead to recognize lyrics However I firmly believe that Lemmy is the god.

Quitting the band does seem like the best option though. And it would let me focus on more interesting music. Damn, it would be nice to find a small jazz/funk/prog group to jam with, nothing serious but just for fun. Good luck finding that here though.
Quote by 91RG350
Pfft.... peoples....

Its the lyrics to "Bite The Bullet" by a little known band called Motorhead off a little known album called Ace Of Spades

Why did you ruin it? Damn it, RG!

Quote by guitar/bass95
Quitting the band does seem like the best option though. And it would let me focus on more interesting music. Damn, it would be nice to find a small jazz/funk/prog group to jam with, nothing serious but just for fun. Good luck finding that here though.

So...why can't you find that online? I imagine there's got to be someone else within driving range (or train range or whatever) who has interest in one of those genres. Get on Craig's List (or whatever the Finnish equivalent is).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why did you ruin it? Damn it, RG!

So...why can't you find that online? I imagine there's got to be someone else within driving range (or train range or whatever) who has interest in one of those genres. Get on Craig's List (or whatever the Finnish equivalent is).

I've been on the Finnish equivalent for years, and the "job market" for musicians is really limited here. I've tried finding a band that plays my kind of stuff ever since I was in my early teens, and I just haven't gotten lucky. When I finish my civil service, I'll probably move to a bigger city for studies, and hope that there are more unemployed musicians.