So we've recently hit some pretty rough extra expenses, and I'm selling one of my guitars to help. The question is, which one do I sell? I've narrowed it down to two and am trying to figure out which one would be a more valuable asset to keep. That's where you come in. I'm trying to decide between a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Special with P90s and a 20xx (not 100% sure) Gretsch Electromatic G5120. For what it's worth, I play everything from Rockabilly to Pseudo-Metal.

Here's what I've got that I'm keeping:

-Gibson SG Standard

-Epiphone Wildkat Royale

-Rickenbacker 360/C63

-Danelectro Innuendo

-Summco Les Paul knockoff

The Summco is a great little guitar but doesn't have quite as bright a sound as the Les Paul, which is why I didn't immediately say "Les Paul". However, I've noticed that the Les Paul doesn't have quite as much punch as my other guitars which makes switching between them in a live setting pretty much impossible without stopping to adjust levels.

What are your thoughts, guitarists?
In an absolutely ideal world you sell whichever one is worth the most (or at least worth closest to the amount of money you need to raise), but which is easiest to replace down the line, and absolutely ideally it's worth a lot now but you suspect it'll be worth less in the future when you go to buy it back
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I should try to dig up my crystal ball, haha. I imagine that the Gretsch would be the easiest to replace cheaply as I got it for $450 used to begin with. I was also told by a luthier friend that 2001 was the last year that the LP Special model that I have was "good" before they changed the way it was made.

Still, as a HUGE Beatles fan it's hard to convince myself to part with the only Gretsch (and hollowbody) in my collection. The Wildkat holds its own, but I never saw John or George with one of those.
Keep two guitars and sell the rest. Hording guitars is pointless - you can't play them all regularly and any increase in value, if any, will be marginal since they are mass produced instruments. If anything, those guitars will probably just drop in value with time. The days of vintage instruments being superior are far past us. No one's going to want a 90's anything.

I purged my collection a few years back. It's liberating. keep what you play - sell the rest.
Quote by reverb66
Keep two guitars and sell the rest. Hording guitars is pointless - you can't play them all regularly and any increase in value, if any, will be marginal since they are mass produced instruments. If anything, those guitars will probably just drop in value with time. The days of vintage instruments being superior are far past us. No one's going to want a 90's anything.

I purged my collection a few years back. It's liberating. keep what you play - sell the rest.

That saved me a lot of typing. Just what I was gonna put.
Keep what you play and sell the rest. Ohhh somebody already said that.

Everybody needs 2 IMO but everything else is replaceable when you get flush and can't fit any more McLarens in your garage. I would choose 1 single coil and one HB and turn the rest into cash. Great players have been selling or pawning guitars to make rent since the beginning of time.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 26, 2014,
Quote by reverb66

What if you play all of them? Equally? I've got only 15 though.

If money is tight you do what you have to do, but not owning more than 2? The posters in this thread is the most responsible and reasonable guitar players ever.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Sep 27, 2014,