https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2CbXOJCa8&list=UUIjiKQE6KL_UkYC052cGQvQ&index=4

Ok... I know I'm supposed to appreciate different types of music and accept with other peoples opinions, but why is it that technical music sounds like Satan taking a dump on children, and you record their screams? I'm not saying that his skill isn't impressive per say, but why don't people stop posting videos of chromatic wanking?
"These strings will last longer and sound better because I said so."- Dave Mustaine
Well, basically like everything, there's good technical music and bad technical music. I don't want to be hard on this guy since he looks really into it but yes, this does sound a bit weird...

Makes me think of technical death metal for example, there are those bands who sound basically like BLBBLBLLBLELELELELBLEBLELBLEBLELB with endless sweeping for some random reason, and then there's stuff like Conquering Dystopia which is complex, but the complexity serves for some really awesome riffs and really epic-sounding solos. I think that the line is basically drawn at whether something is technical in order to be technical, or technical in order to get a cool end result.
Don't know about you but when this guy went for the more complicated parts I could only hear the distortion. If he brought the gain knob down I think it could be enjoyable, everyone who has a brain knows classic music is not meant to be played on a distorted guitar, that's why people created neoclassical (which I think is the dumbest name that could be given to that style), so they could lie about their instrument limitations and make people who know s**t about classic music believe them.
Quote by dvanhandel96
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2CbXOJCa8&list=UUIjiKQE6KL_UkYC052cGQvQ&index=4

Ok... I know I'm supposed to appreciate different types of music and accept with other peoples opinions, but why is it that technical music sounds like Satan taking a dump on children, and you record their screams? I'm not saying that his skill isn't impressive per say, but why don't people stop posting videos of chromatic wanking?

Well for a start that dude's playing terribly. His playing is messy and his timing is all over the place. That piece is supposed to sound more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44QmaY4_VA

Secondly: It may or may not sound bad, since that's an entirely subjective thing (i.e. like all opinions) the only one who can say with any certainty is you. You must realise, however, that this isn't a fact; it is only an opinion.

Thirdly: No one is expecting you to like it. You can appreciate the skill (or how little of it there is in the example you gave), the compositional techniques, whatever; there is something to be learned from everything. But you don't have to like it.

Fourthly: Do not make the mistake of equating "fast" and "technical". Once you know what to look for outside of fast playing you will become aware of myriad things that are slow and hard as balls.

Quote by TheLiberation
Well, basically like everything, there's good technical music and bad technical music. I don't want to be hard on this guy since he looks really into it but yes, this does sound a bit weird...

Makes me think of technical death metal for example, there are those bands who sound basically like BLBBLBLLBLELELELELBLEBLELBLEBLELB with endless sweeping for some random reason, and then there's stuff like Conquering Dystopia which is complex, but the complexity serves for some really awesome riffs and really epic-sounding solos. I think that the line is basically drawn at whether something is technical in order to be technical, or technical in order to get a cool end result.

So you know what's going through the minds of the composers when you listen do you? You can accurately judge that from the abstract nature of music? The line gets drawn in the mind of the listener when they decide, unconsciously, whether they like it or not. Everything else after that is pretty empty justification.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by dvanhandel96
but why is it that technical music sounds like Satan taking a dump on children, and you record their screams?

I wouldn't call this "technical" music. I'd call it an attempt at neoclassical. When I hear "technical" I think of mathcore or another form of complex music. This is a guy just dubbing over the violin part with his guitar. A few problems:

His tone is trash, the backing track was trash, his recording process was trash, and he wasn't clean at all with it. But he seemed to be expressive, and that's what counts.

However, as this guy matures musically, he'll understand that he needs to fix his tone, write a new neoclassical backing track, get better recording equipment, and improve a lot on his guitar playing and musicianship.

I didn't enjoy it because of those things. But that guy is still learning (and I/we are too) to be more and more a musician, not just a neoclassical player.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Fourthly: Do not make the mistake of equating "fast" and "technical". Once you know what to look for outside of fast playing you will become aware of myriad things that are slow and hard as balls.

Any immediate examples you can show me? I'd love to hear them and try it myself...
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane
Any immediate examples you can show me? I'd love to hear them and try it myself...

Anything from the modern acoustic crowd (Andy McKee, Jon Gomm, Antoine Dufor and so on), any solo jazz stuff (guys like Joe Pass who do solo arrangements of standards), a lot of the more jazzy stuff that guys like Tom Quayle play (even his solo lines are surprisingly hard).

That's without even getting outside of the realms of pure mechanical technicality. Once you start to progress beyond that "how hard can I push my technique" spot, the idea of technical or hard playing really changes vastly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.