The Faceless, Fallujah, Mors Principium Est, Paradise Lost

Genres I like
:
Metal: Death, Thrash, Progressive, Doom, Melodic, Black

Preferences:
- thin neck
- fixed bridge
- cutaways for higher fret access
- maple fretboard (very cool, but not necessary)

Pickups:
I can be swayed either way regarding passive or active, but I would prefer a dual humbucker or HSH configuration

Condition:
New

Current Gear
:
Ibanez RG series and Schecter Hellraiser FR

Big contenders for me:
- Jackson Pro Dinky DK2MHT
- Ibanez Iron Label RGIR20FE

More info
:

I'd appreciate your help finding a new guitar. I've been searching Musician's Friend, zZounds, and Sweetwater for awhile. I own some lower end Ibanez RGs and love the thin, fast neck and body-style. I play a lot of different shades of metal and enjoy other stuff like jazz and blues rock. I would really like to avoid floating, Floyd Rose style bridges if possible as I don't use the whammy/vibrato arm much at all and prefer the seemingly less-involved (to me at least) maintenance steps that accompany fixed bridges.

If you guys know of any models that fit most of this criteria or you think would be a good fit, let me know!

Thanks dudes!
Last edited by silvadolla at Sep 22, 2014,
Find an older Ibby RG550 or 570, I believe the only one's with the maple boards are the 550s. Truly amazing guitars. Block the trem and you are good to go.

I believe, but not sure, that Fallujah use 7s? Ready to be corrected on that one.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Check out the Godin Redline HB or 2- designed with metal in mind. The xtSA and the discontinued Velocity are also nice for metal.

Fernandes' entire line is aimed at harder rock genres, and their Dragonfly, Monterey, Ravelle, Revolver, Vertigo, and Vulcan lines all include hardtails- the SHIN and Spalted Limited editions are all hardtails as well. Check out the link to their online store, too- they're having a clearance sale with limited supplies, so you can find some really good deals on their guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 22, 2014,
DannyAlcatraz will tell you about the Godins and Fernandes (he does that so well). Great options there. Excellent guitars.

Check out Carvin's goodies. http://www.carvinguitars.com
I'd suggest the DC-145 (HSH) version with NON rounded body sides. Acres of upper-fret access (I'm at seven Carvins at the moment), 24-fret necks, and you can order up a 14" radius or a 20" radius fretboard, stainless frets, ebony fretboard standard (streaky standard but you can get plain black, too). When you order, I'd suggest the simple controls (MV, MT and a five-way). Get the miniswitches for coil taps (even if you THINK you'll never use them) and ask for a third miniswitch that adds in the bridge pickup to the front two positions (Neck Only, Neck plus Middle) on the five-way. My personal preference is to order up with mahogany neck and body (these are neck-throughs) or with (if you want your bass notes to ring with clarity) solid rock maple neck and body (with the ebony fretboard, of course). Both of those options will be heavier than the basswood (Ibanez) or poplar guitars. You'll probably want the jumbo stainless frets as well.

Another option.
Wander over to the Rondo Music site http://www.rondomusic.com and check out their higher end (all within your budget) stuff. The extended range guitars (7, 8, 9 and 10-strings) have really taken off and you might even consider a fan-fret (multi-scale). If you're playing a lot of metal, there are some seriously good guitars here for a pittance. Check for reviews on places like sevenstring.org. You can also get a semi-custom guitar built (takes about 4 months) within your budget.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
DannyAlcatraz will tell you about the Godins and Fernandes (he does that so well). Great options there. Excellent guitars.

I figure the usual suspects will be well covered by other UGers.

In that price range, I'd also look at DBZ and Dean*, and brands like Schecter and BC Rich should have decent offerings as well.

* Dean gets a lot of flack for their low end guitars, and deservedly so. But I own 2 Deans myself, and consider their guitars $500+ to be quite competitive.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Guys,

Thanks for the incredible suggestions!

The Godin Redline and Fernandes Revolver Deluxe are looking very seductive right now.

I also visited Rondo Music's page, and their custom Septor line is very intriguing. I checked what it would cost to have one built with the crtieria I had in mind and this seems like a very affordable option. It must be very cool to play your instrument knowing that it has all of the components you chose (without having to build it yourself hehe, maybe one day). From watching youtube videos, they seem to make some pretty impressive instruments.

I love Ibanez guitars but after watching some demo videos of the guitars you gents mentioned I may abandon Ibanez for my next purchase. There are some serious tonal gems here... Not to mention, they're very eye-popping.

Cheers!
Last edited by silvadolla at Sep 22, 2014,
There's a reason dspellman- and other UGers- are fans of Agile & Carvin: they're really good value for money. (At least, in the USA.)

The prices they ask for what are damn near custom guitars is quite reasonable. The bang for the buck from those companies is rarely surpassed. They're not perfect, but no brand is. Carvin gets nicked for having vanilla pickups, for instance. But that's fixable with aftermarket pickups.

Why not an Ibanez Premium Series hardtail? I know there are several out there that sell for around £550 here in Europe (don't know what they cost in the US but they should be well within your budget).

I'm very impressed by the quality of the two RG Premiums I bought last year. In that price range, they're competing with PRS SE's (which are slightly more expensive) and Epiphone Tributes among others. It's ridiculous. They're in a completely different league altogether.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.