A little short for prog huh? I like the riffs a lot, I realy like what happens around 1:30, where the harmonics lead back into that groove. Needs a strong bassline though. THe transition is trippy, I would love some acoustic arpeggios over it, make it Foo Fighters-y. The synth arpgeggios remind me of Final Fantasy, thats some cool shit man. I liked this song alot, keep it up man!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1656363
Nice guitar riffs, reminded me of Tool. The synths are a bit weak at the start, but I really like the way you used them in the 0:55 transition. My favourite part is at the end when the synth arpeggios kick in, I like the simple guitar backing and the ambiance of the part. I really didn't think that it was that proggy overall, but it was still nice for what it was. However if it is a complete song, it's way too short and lacks a lot of substance in my opinion. It sounds like it's a part of something longer.
Great work here, mate!

I liked the overall feel and the sounds, especially the guitar sound! Dorian scale is one of my favorites. Especially the part that kicks in at 1:50 is particularly good! That was my favorite part.
I feel that the "main riff" part could use some "meat" in it. Maybe acoustic guitar, lead guitar, another synth... Also the ending's synth part could use some ambient type synth in the background. Just to add some little texture.

Check out our work if you have time
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1653869
Quote by owen556
A little short for prog huh? I like the riffs a lot, I realy like what happens around 1:30, where the harmonics lead back into that groove. Needs a strong bassline though. THe transition is trippy, I would love some acoustic arpeggios over it, make it Foo Fighters-y. The synth arpgeggios remind me of Final Fantasy, thats some cool shit man. I liked this song alot, keep it up man!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1656363

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback and am glad you enjoyed it.

I actually meant to name it prog-"ISH" thing lol. Although in my defense despite prog rock/metal often being stereotyped with long song lengths upwards of 7 minutes it is certainly not a requirement of every progressive song out there and there are numerous examples of short prog rock/metal tracks as there are other characteristics that can define something as ‘prog’, in this case the fact I am using a modal key, the orchestral/electronic instrumentation, the space-related theme, the fact that it’s all instrumental.

I am working on extending the piece into a longer track in the future anyhow, this is an incomplete demo - most of what I am posting currently are re-uploads of a series of incomplete ideas I produced two years ago because I wasn't great at forming full pieces of music back then. Just getting these out of my system before I set to work on newer versions.

Also, good point about having a stronger bass-line, I will definitely take that into account.
Last edited by JamesEden at Sep 23, 2014,