Hi, could anybody tell me about some dvd's like "Rock Discipline" by John Petrucci and similair stuff like that? Thanks. I'm looking for dvd's to help me build speed and grasp some music theory and melody.
For building your speed and chops? Get Petrucci's DVD. It's filled with(GOOD) warm-ups,stretches,licks and exercises.
Quote by GuitarManiac110
For building your speed and chops? Get Petrucci's DVD. It's filled with(GOOD) warm-ups,stretches,licks and exercises.

I said I have it in the first post, read before you post please.
Either I'm blind or stupid but imo you didn't STATE that you have the DVD. I assumed that you knew that such DVD exists but didn't exactly know if it was what you were looking for.
Quote by GuitarManiac110
Either I'm blind or stupid but imo you didn't STATE that you have the DVD. I assumed that you knew that such DVD exists but didn't exactly know if it was what you were looking for.

Well, true, I watched it. But anyway, are there any similar ones to that?
Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock shows you how to play like Paul Gilbert. That's about it.
If you're not afraid to spend a good amount of money then Gibson's Learn And Master Guitar and Scotty West's Absolutely Understand Guitar are both excellent. I prefer the latter because the way it's been filmed it's more personal imo.
Quote by arv1971
If you're not afraid to spend a good amount of money then Gibson's Learn And Master Guitar and Scotty West's Absolutely Understand Guitar are both excellent. I prefer the latter because the way it's been filmed it's more personal imo.

OK, are there any about theory and melody(not Marty Friedman's)?
Absolutely Understand Guitar has theory covered really well, not sure about Learn And Master Guitar.
Quote by aeshawerh
That's not youtube.

wut? I was saying that nearly every guitar dvd is on yt so just look around there.

If you want speed watch all the 80s guys. If you theory (and not afull 80s guys) look up jazz guys (or gals, Emily Remler for example)
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Sep 24, 2014,
For $25 a month you can go join TrueFire and instead of buying each course you can add whatever you are looking for to your playlist. They have some killer instructors for every genre. I have been on a modal kick the last couple of years and their is an excellent player and instructor named Robbie Calvo who is phenomenal.He is a Nashville based session player who's courses are the bomb! My favorite online instructor has always been Danny Gill who I new of from his MI books in the 90's and he then went over to England and joined that wicked crew of players at Lick Library. I learned a ton of info on modes from Danny who is a rock/hard rock guitarist. But since stumbling upon Robbie who's background is more country- R&B- and rock I am getting a whole different outlook. His Modal Expose instructional would be the one I would advise you to start with as it contains all the theory you will need. From their you can go to the Modal Alchemist- 50 Modal Licks and make sure to get his Sweet Notes instructional to work on separately. That is all about arpeggios and if you really put the time in you will never land on a bum note again lol. He is a very heavy arpeggio based player but in 41 years of playing I have never seen anyone use them the way he does and the guy plays the wickedest most melodic lines and solos. Sometimes it pays off big to go outside of the genre of players you listen to on a daily basis and it will make you that much a better player. Look at guys like Zack Wylde and John-5 who I think is a( phenomenal player) but have incorporated a lot of country techniques in their shredding. I don't want to confuse you as Robbie Calvo rally does not sound country, just stating he has those chops in his bag though.

Being totally a self taught player I used to buy every new VHS tape then later DVD's that came out.Paul Gilbert besides being one of the best players on the planet also has the gift of being a great teacher! But if you go and buy most of his old DVD's you will get bored quickly as they are mainly based arouns 3 note per string alternate picking runs and string skipping which you probably already know considering how long ago most of these were made.

Your best bet would be to go over to TrueFire (which has a one month free trial period) or Lick Library.
Quote by aeshawerh
Hi, could anybody tell me about some dvd's like "Rock Discipline" by John Petrucci and similair stuff like that? Thanks. I'm looking for dvd's to help me build speed and grasp some music theory and melody.

Depends on how deep in the soup you are... I bought and watched Metal Method by Doug Marks. It helped me fill in gaps in basic knowledge and get some basic speed exercises and form. His videos are fun to watch because the guy seems to be genuinely enjoying himself.

As far as theory, your best bet there is books and a real teacher you can ask questions. A dvd can present the theory, but imo a lot of that stuff is better and more accurately presented written.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
- Steve Martin