I always see people saying that a metronome is your best friend and will help you a lot with guitar, but I just can't do it. EVERYTIME I try I just end up playing at my own pace. I think the problem for me is that playing different notes and hearing the sound of the metronome that doesn't change is what's make it hard for me. Does anyone have any tips for playing with a metronome for the first time?
It might help to just play the same chord along to the metronome at first, or play simple scales up and down to the metronome. That's a lot easier than playing a song along to a metronome.

I find drum tracks are way easier to play along with than metronomes though. There's just something really boring and stiff about a metronome that isn't easy to play to, at least for me.
Yes, work on scales or another one-beat line at first, one note played on each beat of the metronome's click.

It also helps to have your metronome uber loud so that you can't ignore it. The flinch reaction towards each click can potentially help...
I prefer a digital metronome, I find a traditional metronome isn't loud enough and can get lost if your amp is loud.
First, you need to be able to count the rhythm with the click. Playing with a metronome is all about understanding note values and being able to subdivide the beat. Do you understand what that means?
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by bptrav
I find drum tracks are way easier to play along with than metronomes though. There's just something really boring and stiff about a metronome that isn't easy to play to, at least for me.

+1. I hate playing to a click track or metronome.

I always found playing along to a song was a lot better way of perfecting your timing, especially something with a "gap". EG Foo Fighters Monkey Wrench
Quote by bptrav
It might help to just play the same chord along to the metronome at first, or play simple scales up and down to the metronome. That's a lot easier than playing a song along to a metronome.

Tap your foot to each click and play very simple exercises rather than songs, such as strumming a muted chord. Start by strumming quarter notes, then half notes then triplets etc.

Drum tracks are cheating because you have way too much rhythmic information there - a metronome is the real test as to whether you can keep time. It's perfectly normal for this to be difficult - it takes a lot of practice to get good at it - but it's invaluable. Good musicians have great timing.

Also, you should get used to tapping quarter notes with your foot whenever you play anything in 4/4 - that really forces you to master your timing.