I was goig to buy an Orange CR50 BTX for my bass.
I have an Ibanez SR305, five strings, and just recently I read that not all amps can handle the low frecuency of the 5th string. I've also read that the active pickups EQ can cause troubles with the amp EQ...

So because of that I decided to wait and see if you guys could help me to make a decisión, I don't want to buy something that it's not going to work...

So far I readed some customers review on the Orange CR50, and Fender Rumble where people said that they're not the best for Active Pickup Basses...

Then, what would be a good bass amp for a 5 string active pick ups basS?

Hope you can help me guys!

Thanks!
Anything by TC electronics, I use a 4 string active Hagstrom tuned BEAD and it sounds great through both my practice (BG250-208) and gig (RH750+2x210 cabs) rigs.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
thank man! Never heard of them before... unfortunately they are expensive here in México...

Isn't there another brand of amps that cand handle the task?
the fender amps won't handle it?
Fender Rumble IMO struggles with lower tunings, sounds quite farty. Maybe something like a Peavey TKO Tour 115 would be an option?
Quote by Karl Marx
I'll check that one!

By the way... I've read something about how pre-amp improve th B string signal to the amp...
In this case, my bass is an active one, with EQ knobs for trebble, middle and bass... this thing works as a pre-amp? or should I buy a pre-amp pedal too?
You don't need another pre-amp, when you are looking for an amp, try and get one with an active/passive switch. It will essentially make an active behave more like a passive with your amp (i.e. easier to control) without sacrificing tone. A passive EQ pedal (eg Boss GEB7) could help.

Either way, you want something with a 15 inch speaker, as they are better at reproducing low end. They however do lose some upper register clarity.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
You don't need another pre-amp, when you are looking for an amp, try and get one with an active/passive switch. It will essentially make an active behave more like a passive with your amp (i.e. easier to control) without sacrificing tone. A passive EQ pedal (eg Boss GEB7) could help.

Either way, you want something with a 15 inch speaker, as they are better at reproducing low end. They however do lose some upper register clarity.

thanks man! I checked the peavey you mentioned before and no luck... I'd have to import it from USA and that's very expensive...

But at leat now I know that a 15" speaker is a must, I'll start from this!

I had in mind the Orange CR50 BTX but I guess it's not a good option right?

What I had in mind was using an average amp and buy a pre-amp pedal and that would do it!

What do you think?
Last edited by carpercen at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by carpercen
thanks man! I checked the peavey you mentioned before and no luck... I'd have to import it from USA and that's very expensive...

But at leat now I know that a 15" speaker is a must, I'll start from this!

I had in mind the Orange CR50 BTX but I guess it's not a good option right?

What I had in mind was using an average amp and buy a pre-amp pedal and that would do it!

What do you think?

Little bit of physics to get you started: The lower the note, the more power it needs to be amplified properly, hence why bass amps are (traditionally) more powerful than guitar amps. So a 50w orange will always struggle. If it is just for practice 150w+ should work.

You categorically do not need a preamp pedal, 2 preamps (bass+pedal) in front of an amp's preamp as it will cause audible distortion, and not the good kind.
Quote by Karl Marx
for practice 150w+? Wow... didn't know that bro... that's a lot...

Now that you mention it... last week I saw a guy who was selling his fender bassman 150watts...
and the price was very good... should I buy that?
Quote by carpercen
for practice 150w+? Wow... didn't know that bro... that's a lot...

Now that you mention it... last week I saw a guy who was selling his fender bassman 150watts...
and the price was very good... should I buy that?

As far as I can remember the Bassman 150 has a 12'' speaker, you should try it and see how it sounds.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
As far as I can remember the Bassman 150 has a 12'' speaker, you should try it and see how it sounds.

the only problem is that the guy is from another town... I don't think I'll be able to test it...

I'll check the amp specifications to see the speaker size!
TYPE: PR 596
PART NUMBERS: 2345300010 (120V, 60Hz) USA 2345301010 (110V, 60Hz) TW 2345303010 (240V, 50Hz) AUS
2345304010 (230V, 50Hz) UK 2345306010 (230V, 50Hz) EUR 2345307010 (100V, 50Hz) JPN
POWER REQUIREMENT: 420W
POWER AMP SENSITIVITY: 0.93V R.M.S., 100Hz
POWER OUTPUT: 150W R.M.S. into 4Ω @ < 0.05 % T.H.D., 100Hz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: –2dB @ 10Hz, 42kHz
PRE AMP INPUT IMPEDANCE: 1MΩ
COMPRESSOR RATIO: 1:1 (OFF); >5:1 (MAX); –10dBV fixed threshold
TONE CONTROLS CONTOUR: –4dB @ 400Hz (MIN), –20dB @ 700Hz (MAX)
BASS/TREBLE: BASS: ± 15dB @ 80Hz TREBLE: ± 15dB @ 10kHz
SEMI-PARAMETRIC EQ: LOW MID: ±15dB @ 150Hz–1.5kHz
HIGH MID: ±15dB @ 800Hz–4kHz
EFFECTS LOOP IMPEDANCES: SEND: 1kΩ balanced RETURN: 20kΩ balanced
LINE OUT MAXIMUM OUTPUT: +6dBu, 600Ω
SPEAKERS: 1 Eminence® 4Ω 12" woofer (064053) 1 piezo horn (068880)
DIMENSIONS: HEIGHT: 21 in (53.3 cm) WIDTH: 19 1/4 in (48.9 cm) DEPTH: 17 1/4 in (43.8 cm)
WEIGHT: 39 lb (17.7 kg)
Product specifications are subject to change without notice.

That the bassman 150 specs... you seem to be the expert here! does any of all that seem like can handle the low freq?
A 12'' woofer is not preferable, but it would probably suit your needs just fine. Maybe check youtube for some videos. I guess you would have to collect it anyway, so ask the vendor if you can try it.

Personally I'd keep looking for something with a 15'', like a peavey or an Ashdown Electric Blue 150.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
A 12'' woofer is not preferable, but it would probably suit your needs just fine. Maybe check youtube for some videos. I guess you would have to collect it anyway, so ask the vendor if you can try it.

Personally I'd keep looking for something with a 15'', like a peavey or an Ashdown Electric Blue 150.

Man... you're great dude!

I'm sorry I keep bothering you... it's just that I'm new at bass... and I didn't know how troublesome coud be an active one and with 5 strings hahaha

thank you bro! I'll keep diggin it!
I'm using a five-string with active electronics ('89 Carvin LB-75). For practice, almost anything will work just fine.

I should make a couple of comments, however.

Bass speaker circumference does NOT determine whether the speaker (or the cabinet it's in ) will reproduce low bass. In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to reproduce low notes. I have to note that the speakers I use have a single 15" speaker in each one, but that's for *volume*, not for lows. The same cabinet designer (Dave Green) uses everything down to 8" speakers and achieves excellent bottom end and balance.

In fact, Phil Jones uses 5" speakers (!) -- and a lot of them -- in his bass cabinets. And they do just fine with bottom.

The problem is more that bass players (and guitar players in general) sometimes hear with their eyes when it comes to speakers. In fact, the current standard of the industry is probably the 4x10 bass box (often with a tweeter stuffed in the middle), and depending on the design and the 10" speakers used, can go as low as a 15" speaker.

It takes power to reproduce lows. To reproduce a note an octave down at the same perceived volume as the octave above requires that speakers move four times the air. You can move that *volume* of air either with more speaker cone area OR with more speaker cone excursion. For most manufacturers, it was cheaper to put a bunch of smaller speakers to work than it was to design and purchase a speaker with more cone excursion (often referred to as Xmax or Vmax).

There are still bass players who cling to the idea that a larger cone will necessarily produce lower lows despite all the evidence to the contrary. Some will put a 1x15 together with a 4x10 thinking that the 4x10 will handle the mids and highs while the 15" handles the lows. Unfortunately, the difference in cone area available will sometimes blow the 15" speakers, which often can't handle (by themselves) the same amount of power as the 4x10 (that single 15" has only about 2/3rds the cone area of the 4x10).

That said, a 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, the 3012LF (12") and the 3010LF (10") will put out pretty much the same lows. The 15", with more cone area and greater cone (voice coil) excursion limits, will handle more power and produce more volume at those frequencies than the two smaller cone sizes.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
I'm using a five-string with active electronics ('89 Carvin LB-75). For practice, almost anything will work just fine.

I should make a couple of comments, however.

Bass speaker circumference does NOT determine whether the speaker (or the cabinet it's in ) will reproduce low bass. In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to reproduce low notes. I have to note that the speakers I use have a single 15" speaker in each one, but that's for *volume*, not for lows. The same cabinet designer (Dave Green) uses everything down to 8" speakers and achieves excellent bottom end and balance.

In fact, Phil Jones uses 5" speakers (!) -- and a lot of them -- in his bass cabinets. And they do just fine with bottom.

The problem is more that bass players (and guitar players in general) sometimes hear with their eyes when it comes to speakers. In fact, the current standard of the industry is probably the 4x10 bass box (often with a tweeter stuffed in the middle), and depending on the design and the 10" speakers used, can go as low as a 15" speaker.

It takes power to reproduce lows. To reproduce a note an octave down at the same perceived volume as the octave above requires that speakers move four times the air. You can move that *volume* of air either with more speaker cone area OR with more speaker cone excursion. For most manufacturers, it was cheaper to put a bunch of smaller speakers to work than it was to design and purchase a speaker with more cone excursion (often referred to as Xmax or Vmax).

There are still bass players who cling to the idea that a larger cone will necessarily produce lower lows despite all the evidence to the contrary. Some will put a 1x15 together with a 4x10 thinking that the 4x10 will handle the mids and highs while the 15" handles the lows. Unfortunately, the difference in cone area available will sometimes blow the 15" speakers, which often can't handle (by themselves) the same amount of power as the 4x10 (that single 15" has only about 2/3rds the cone area of the 4x10).

That said, a 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, the 3012LF (12") and the 3010LF (10") will put out pretty much the same lows. The 15", with more cone area and greater cone (voice coil) excursion limits, will handle more power and produce more volume at those frequencies than the two smaller cone sizes.

man... Im kinda sad... I can't find any of those here in Mexico near the place I live... it sucks cause all of those amps look great...

My easiest option here is the Orange CR50 BTX guys... but it is only 50watt... I should have mentioned maybe that I only want it for personal use, I don't plan to be at a band or to play in public cause because of work I don't have the time... I only want it for my home, to play maybe with my girl or an ocassional jam when a friend comes home...

But I don't know If I should buy the Orange CR50 cause SPANNER93 recommended me 150w is a must for my bass.. so I don't know guys... actualy I only play through ROcksmith LOL and through an 15watt crate amp from a friend, and the low B strings sounds a bit bad there...

I guess with 50watt was more than enough for me... I'd like to hear your opinions...

On musiciansfriend and sweetwater I read that the Orange CR50 wasn't good enough for an active bass... so I don't know what to do...
Quote by carpercen

But I don't know If I should buy the Orange CR50 cause SPANNER93 recommended me 150w is a must for my bass.. so I don't know guys... actualy I only play through ROcksmith LOL and through an 15watt crate amp from a friend, and the low B strings sounds a bit bad there...
On musiciansfriend and sweetwater I read that the Orange CR50 wasn't good enough for an active bass... so I don't know what to do...

I don't think "Active" is the issue here -- more like reproduction of the B string. If you can try it out, see what you think of the Orange. If you can't, I think the 150W should fine. As mentioned, it takes power to do a good job of reproducing the low end. If it were JUST for your personal plunking, I might suggest something that incorporated a good set of headphones (easier to reproduce bass on those, actually), but if you're going to jam with some friends, you might want to have some cajones in the fight.

In the case of the Carvin "active" setup, I get some wider tonal EQs and a couple of switches that let me brighten the treble pickup and deepen the neck pickup:

There's more output if you crank up the volume, but I really don't see a need to change bass amps just to accommodate "active" pickups.
The problem here is that I can't test them, because all the music stores here, have only few amp in store or don't have them... they work like this:
"I want (insert desired amp here"
Store: "ok, it has a price of $ xxx.xx, you need to pay the half, we contact our provider, they sent the amp and once ir arrives here you pay the other half and receive you new gear"

So, no change to test anything..
My other option is to buy via internet on mercadolibre.com but it's the same, I can't test them... I can only trust in the guy who sells... and hope that what I get is in good conditions...