Hail and well met, travelers of the interwebz!

I am in need of a boost-pedal that would be able to push my signal, from a light crunch, into the realm of distortion - I was curious if you had any suggestions?

The few boosts i've checked out leaves me questioning if they can push the amp far enough. I basically need an ON switch from crunchy to distortion - Since i don't have a multi-channel amp, i figured this might be the solution!

Keep in mind that i'm only interested in signal-boosts and not out-right distortion pedals, i quite dislike the sound of those, atleast compared to the sound of a driven amp, and my amp, being an orange, has a quite nice gain-sound. to my ears anyway.

Soeh.. Myea! Leave your two cents! I considered the TC Spark, but i'm not sure it could cut it - wha'cha think?
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
EP booster is a great boost pedal, but for a high gain tone it can be a bit heavy on the bass.

my advice is to go on pro guitar shop and prymaxe vintage and search in your price range, and then start googling. perhaps get one with an EQ control.

my 2 cents is that any amp with enough headroom to go from light crunch to distortion will also yeild a quite a bit of volume boost to do so. you must exhaust all your headroom, and generally that comes in the form of volume gain until you hit that ceiling of sautration.

so, your going to go from 5 to 10, and piss all your neighbors off and have very little control on your volume.

HOWEVER, if you want to go from heavy crunch to distortion, basically mostly sautrated to all the way waturated, or perhaps just do a tube screamer style, add more mids and cut some bass, you can pull that off quite easily without adding much overall volume. your basically "oversaturating" your gain chainnel and altering the EQ. the whole point of distortion and OD pedals is that you can manipulate the drive and level to get what you want.

what you need is a really great overdrive pedal. a transparent, unique, boutique, overdrive pedal that can clean up and function as a boost, or have a boost mode.

my advice is go into guitar center, pick am amp and set it up like you would play, and then put whatever booster they have on the floor in front of it, jacked up to the max. see what happens.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 22, 2014,
The EP Booster does have an internal switch for bass boost on/off. ^
The OCD makes a great boost if you turn the gain down.
MXR 10 band EQ

Personally though, I use a Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 22, 2014,
Tubescreamer. The xotic AC booster is kinda like a cleaner tubescreamer with an active eq, so it might be something worth looking at.
The timmy is a great transparent overdrive, don't overlook it.
The xotic RC booster is better if you want really transparent though.

I think xotic does some of the best transparent boost/drive pedals personally.
RIP Gooze

cats
i used to own the EP. GREAT pedal, but even at flat EQ i found it too be a bit boomy. great for leads, but for heavy riffing i think there was too much going on. perhaps a TS style mid hump may be best for that.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i'm not sure a clean boost alone will give you enough
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An EHX Soul Food may work well for you. It'll tighten your tone like a TS type pedal, its very transparent but there's not a lot of gain from the pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ i found mine a bit wooly on the bass for boosting also i think it has a fair bit of gain (unless you mean its gain can be turned to zero so it's effectively a clean boost, in which case I agree).

But yeah I would say that something like that, which can do both the clean boost and overdrive thing, would likely be a better idea. I can't see him getting from clean to super-distorted with just a clean boost. unless he has the amp set just right on the cusp of breakup (and even then).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks alot for all the suggestions! I'll be sure to check out as much of the stuff as i can get my hands on!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!