Two years ago I wanted to learn to play the guitar, but because of where I was at that time , i really didn't have the time, place or determination to do so. But now two years have passed , I'm gonna be having a lot of time on my hands, so I want to start playing guitar again. I don't know much, I only practiced for a month or two back when i first got a guitar. That guitar was sold, so im gonna need a new guitar. My question exactly is exactly what is the best beginner guitar to start playing with? My first one was a Dean, which I liked, but the thing did not hold up very well and I had to tune it every other week or so. I'm determined to learn how to play. My ultimate goal is to play songs from Metallica, as they are my favorite band. I know, it'll take a long time, but i'm willing to give my time to learn.
First of all, good choice! Playing the guitar is fun. In my experience it gets more fun and less frustrating the more you learn, but the beginning surely was hard.

I'd first like to begin by sort of point out that tuning a guitar every other week is perfectly normal and does not mean that it is a bad guitar. I tune mine every time I pick one up to play, no matter if it is my really expensive ones or my relatively inexpensive ones. (You get the point.)

What I do think is good about your post is that you say that you have a goal - to play Metallica. This is probably the most important thing - to know where you want to go. Many beginners don't, and therefore they have a hard time getting anywhere.

For a guitar, we would probably first want to know how much you'd like to spend. You could spend $2000 on a Gibson Les Paul if you'd like. A good guitar to learn on is the best guitar available to you. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as my first guitar, which I think is a good choice for a relatively inexpensive one that can stay with you for a while.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
First of all, good choice! Playing the guitar is fun. In my experience it gets more fun and less frustrating the more you learn, but the beginning surely was hard.

I'd first like to begin by sort of point out that tuning a guitar every other week is perfectly normal and does not mean that it is a bad guitar. I tune mine every time I pick one up to play, no matter if it is my really expensive ones or my relatively inexpensive ones. (You get the point.)

What I do think is good about your post is that you say that you have a goal - to play Metallica. This is probably the most important thing - to know where you want to go. Many beginners don't, and therefore they have a hard time getting anywhere.

For a guitar, we would probably first want to know how much you'd like to spend. You could spend $2000 on a Gibson Les Paul if you'd like. A good guitar to learn on is the best guitar available to you. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as my first guitar, which I think is a good choice for a relatively inexpensive one that can stay with you for a while.

I appreciate the polite response! And for a beginner guitar player I want to have the budget of a beginner guitar player. So up to the $200 mark. Im excited to get started. I know I wont be comparing to Malmsteen in two years, but id like to play a few songs 2 years from now.
At that price I'd definitely go used. Do you have a friend who plays who could help you pick out one? What kind of music stores do you have near you?
Do you have an amp as well? I keep hearing that the Yamaha Pacifica is a good starter guitar, and I had one myself. There is a guitar-amp bundle with the Pacifica, and the amp has a decent distortion setting for the Metallica you want to play c:
200$ is gonna be tough.

Did you leave room for an amplifier as well?

If you're able to spend more then you'll have a better chance of sticking with it.
Otherwise I would see if you have a friend or uncle who plays. Borrowing an electric guitar is a good way to go if you can find one to borrow.
yamaha pacifica 112? not sure it's the absolute "best", but as something which is readily available in most parts of the world it's a contender most places for a decent beginner guitar, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yamaha pacifica 112? not sure it's the absolute "best", but as something which is readily available in most parts of the world it's a contender most places for a decent beginner guitar, at least.

On that budget, I will agree with a Pacifica 112.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
First of all, I had the same thing you had. Wanted to play guitar, didn't have time, quit, got back in it again. Good choice getting back into it. For choosing a new guitar under $200, you could probably pick up a used Dinky for under/right at 200. ESP also has LTD models in the $200-250 range. But in my opinion, go with a used guitar.
Quote by dylandempsey6
First of all, I had the same thing you had. Wanted to play guitar, didn't have time, quit, got back in it again. Good choice getting back into it. For choosing a new guitar under $200, you could probably pick up a used Dinky for under/right at 200. ESP also has LTD models in the $200-250 range. But in my opinion, go with a used guitar.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a ESP LTD m-100FM. Got a outrageous deal on it.
Quote by OliveG
Just how outrageous exactly?

$169 Brand New. I looked online everywhere and cant seem to find one under $275.
nice score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by njknittle
$169 Brand New. I looked online everywhere and cant seem to find one under $275.

Wow that is quite the deal! The FR may give you trouble though, you may want to block it if it gives you poor tuning stability.
Wow, nice!! Good for you, I hope you enjoy it, don't forget the NGD thread!
Yeah I wanna start again. Last year I played for a month and gave it up now i wanna learn.
So I picked up my really old guitar I got it when I was a kid lol.any good sites on how to hold the guitar and stuff.
^ justinguitar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ justinguitar

+1
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake