Uh uh uh someone else who likes djent!

You can get similar stuff with synth pads.
Use whatever synth at your disposal and make pads, or look through the presets and find the pads section.

Good part of it though is a heavily effect'd clean and sparkly guitar.
Lots of delay, some reverb.
See if you have any serious delay and reverb fx at your disposal.

At the beginning of the second song for example, there there's a hell of a lot of delay, with little mix but a lot of feedback and fairly little delay time.

Then a bit of it is pads triggered by the guitar's sound 'cause them guyz have dem AXE FX.

You can replicate that by using whatever synth pad or by doodling with guitar rig's funny fx.

All pretty clean and dreamy and reverb'd and delay'd sound anyway.
Also chorus somewhere.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Uh uh uh someone else who likes djent!

You can get similar stuff with synth pads.
Use whatever synth at your disposal and make pads, or look through the presets and find the pads section.

Good part of it though is a heavily effect'd clean and sparkly guitar.
Lots of delay, some reverb.
See if you have any serious delay and reverb fx at your disposal.

At the beginning of the second song for example, there there's a hell of a lot of delay, with little mix but a lot of feedback and fairly little delay time.

Then a bit of it is pads triggered by the guitar's sound 'cause them guyz have dem AXE FX.

You can replicate that by using whatever synth pad or by doodling with guitar rig's funny fx.

All pretty clean and dreamy and reverb'd and delay'd sound anyway.
Also chorus somewhere.

How do you make a pad, exactly? I can make a nice layered Children of Bodom or Dream Theater-ish sawtooth sound with ReaSynth and some delay/chorus, but not sure exactly what to do about more ambient sounds like these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer#Synth_pad
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/pads.htm

Though it's more of a matter of applying funny fx to a guitar.
I'm guessing it'll work better if you can get a convincing ambient sound out of that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by GS LEAD 5
How do you make a pad, exactly? I can make a nice layered Children of Bodom or Dream Theater-ish sawtooth sound with ReaSynth and some delay/chorus, but not sure exactly what to do about more ambient sounds like these

You will need something more powerful than Reasynth for something like this I think. With what I have, I would try and make the airy background pad with Massive, and the plucky delayed sort of clavichord sound, I think I'd go with FM8.

Sound design can get pretty complicated. That sound I think is more complex than it appears with all harmonics and whatnot. Maybe gladiator2 might be a good synth for something like that also. I don't have it, and so I'm not super familiar with it, but it seems like it would be good for that sort of sound.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by fingrpikingood
[...] Massive, and the plucky delayed sort of clavichord sound, I think I'd go with FM8 [...] Sound design can get pretty complicated [...] Maybe gladiator2 might be a good synth for something like that also [...] but it seems like it would be good for that sort of sound.
Now, do you know how all the parameters of a synth work or you pick presets?

Use whatever synthesizer with options TS, it doesn't really matter what it is.

Unless of course you stumble in a pulsar train synthesizer.
In which case, step away from it
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Nope, no idea what most of the parameters do

Sound synthesis has a pretty intimidating learning curve, but read up on those SoundOnSound articles and you won't be that lost for long. Get yourself any synth with multiple osc, filters, ADSR envelope and LFOs (Nearly every basic synth with have them), learn what each of them does and experiment.
Quote by Spambot_2
Now, do you know how all the parameters of a synth work or you pick presets?

Use whatever synthesizer with options TS, it doesn't really matter what it is.

Unless of course you stumble in a pulsar train synthesizer.
In which case, step away from it

Oh. cool. So, what should all the settings be at, in order to get this particular sound then?
Quote by fingrpikingood
Oh. cool. So, what should all the settings be at, in order to get this particular sound then?

5, 7, 100hz,- 5cent detune
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Nope, no idea what most of the parameters do

Imo, the best most powerful and most versatile one to learn first is Massive. The komplete bundle isn't cheap, but for what you get, it's an amazing deal, imo.

FM8 is also very cool, but it uses FM synthesis. It's modeled off of the old DX7 from the 80s, with some new powerful tools added on. It's also very cool, but a bit different than how most synths work.

The basics of how massive works, is not really all that complex, but really mastering them all, is.

There are lots of options every step of the way, just at the beginning there are tons of different wavetables to choose from for each oscillator.

You can download free frequency analyzers and free spectrum analyzers, which can help you see what's going on, to understand a bit, to complement what you hear.

Massive, has a nice sound, but to me, the power of it comes from how you can use ADSR envelopes and LFOs and all those sorts of things to control the parameters dynamically.

LFOs and ADSR envelopes are common in the synth world, but are not generally implemented the way they are in Massive.

LFOs and ADSR envelopes are ways to control whatever parameter, the same sort of way your envelopes in reaper do, except with less flexibility.

If you want to learn how they work a little, my suggestion is to find some YouTube videos, and watch them. There are some good ones that explain everything, and lots to show how to make lots of sounds.

Your particular one you are looking for, is very sort of airy and gritty, and phasy to my ears, it might be hard to find that exact thing, but there are definitely many pad tutorials for massive. Massive is not cheap though, but it is very kickass.

Reasynth will be a lot more basic. Massive is a very powerful synth. Reasynth is almost as basic as it gets.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
5, 7, 100hz,- 5cent detune

Lol, nice try. I'm not even sure exactly what those numbers are supposed to mean, but that's not enough information to create that sound.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Sep 23, 2014,