So guys, as a regular pretty much for the last year or so I've come to an conclusion on an opinion that BC Rich stuff doesn't really crop up on here. When I first starting discussing on here it was all Ibanez based, what's changed with UG? Is it because people are trying more stuff or for a variety of different reasons to do with pricing and so on that there's other things that might be better in terms of peoples personal budget?

Anyway, my band is now wanting to move into the realms of seven string guitars, because of reasons, but we're not into the 0-0-0-0-0 thing. So I was hunting around and saw that BC Rich are now doing a 7 string V. Which is kinda awesome as I'm only really able to play V's now because of medical reasons (At least for the next year or two when I have surgery again) and it looks like it's worth the money.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/bc_rich_jrv_7_tp.htm

Plus I really have good experiences with my Widow 5 string that I got. Thoughts?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Never seen one and never tried one in person. The only thing remotely similar that I've played was an NJ series Mockingbird. It was an okay guitar but I wouldn't pay the price tag for it new.

Specs are okay on it I suppose.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Never seen one and never tried one in person. The only thing remotely similar that I've played was an NJ series Mockingbird. It was an okay guitar but I wouldn't pay the price tag for it new.

Specs are okay on it I suppose.

I was looking at the LTD but it's 100 more.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I was looking at the LTD but it's 100 more.

I'd rather the LTD personally. I don't want to say its a better guitar (it probably is though) but it will be easier to get rid of it when the time comes to do so. I'd imagine you'd be taking a big hit reselling the BC Rich.

And don't say you aren't going to sell it. We know thats a lie.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd rather the LTD personally. I don't want to say its a better guitar (it probably is though) but it will be easier to get rid of it when the time comes to do so. I'd imagine you'd be taking a big hit reselling the BC Rich.

And don't say you aren't going to sell it. We know thats a lie.

Depends where it's made, the BC Rich is Korean and the LTD is Indo. Might just go for the Heafy Les Paul and sort out the Gas for that one now
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd get an LTD 7 string rather than a BC Rich one. Just because I prefer their designs and features. Not that I like LTD's all that much though.
So guys, as a regular pretty much for the last year or so I've come to an conclusion on an opinion that BC Rich stuff doesn't really crop up on here. When I first starting discussing on here it was all Ibanez based, what's changed with UG?

They're not really talked about much because of their long-going stigma of producing junk ever since the Class Axe guitars of over 20 years ago. And it has made them seem unattractive as a brand. They're better than they used to be, but people are still reluctant to buy them. Not only do they not sell that many, but the resale value of them is poor for the same reason. Plus their designs are not for everyone's tastes.

I myself haven't had much luck with them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by Fisheth24

Depends where it's made, the BC Rich is Korean and the LTD is Indo. Might just go for the Heafy Les Paul and sort out the Gas for that one now

Yeah but I don't care where it's made. I care about who makes it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah but I don't care where it's made. I care about who makes it.

All about the pricing though? I mean I don't expect an 800 quid guitar to be Indonesian. That's a put off for me. Guess it's all personal, right?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
All about the pricing though? I mean I don't expect an 800 quid guitar to be Indonesian. That's a put off for me. Guess it's all personal, right?

I expect a guitar with a certain amount of features to be a certain price. Regardless of where it's manufactured. I don't expect to get top notch pups, hardware etc... for under 500 bucks or even under a grand to a certain extent. On the flip side, I expect a certain amount of features when I pay over a certain price. None of those features have anything to do with where the guitar is made.

Considering the company that charges that much for an MII has a much better track record compared to the other guitar thats MIK you're looking at, I'd rather take my chances with that anyway.

But yeah, we get it, you're racist. You don't like Indonesians.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I have to admit, fish is pretty racist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I expect a guitar with a certain amount of features to be a certain price. Regardless of where it's manufactured. I don't expect to get top notch pups, hardware etc... for under 500 bucks or even under a grand to a certain extent. On the flip side, I expect a certain amount of features when I pay over a certain price. None of those features have anything to do with where the guitar is made.

Considering the company that charges that much for an MII has a much better track record compared to the other guitar thats MIK you're looking at, I'd rather take my chances with that anyway.

But yeah, we get it, you're racist. You don't like Indonesians.

You think? I've not heard that one before?

Not racist I just was under the impression that Korean stuff was generally better than Indonesian stuff, then again there's so many mass produced guitars so I'll get a biased opinion either way!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

Not racist I just was under the impression that Korean stuff was generally better than Indonesian stuff, then again there's so many mass produced guitars so I'll get a biased opinion either way!

Hey, not my fault you got a dud. My Pro series is perfect. Plus, the new pro series has noted QC issues.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I have to admit, fish is pretty racist.

right?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by Fisheth24

It's not so much which country the guitar is made, but which factory it is made within.

And yes, call me a factory-ist
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's no so much which country the guitar is made, but which factory it is made within.

Exactly. That's why you see people asking about Teradas, Fujigen, Tokai-Gakki etc... when buying MIJ
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Fisheth24

Personal, emotional, and not very well thought out.

Nik Azam, for example, is putting out some truly outstanding amps (Ceriatone) and kits, some of which run into the $1500 range (head only), and he's in Malaysia.

A year ago October, I paid $1300 for a Variax JTV-89F built in South Korea. There's a US version, and I can afford it. I've looked at both, played both briefly before picking one, and decided to try the Korean version. If I buy another one (likely, because I need the backup), it'll be the Korean version again, unless some fabulous deal presents itself on the American version.

Chinese and Indonesian factories BOTH have the capability of putting out guitars that are easily the equal of anything US-made. They've so far had requests mostly for price-conscious guitars in volume. Some years back, Japanese guitars were looked on as cheap junk. In the '70's, they decided to build guitars with great quality rather than cheap prices. In doing so, they surpassed Gibson and Fender, and Japanese guitars from those years are now prized. Korea took on the mantle of "dirty crap done dirt cheap" (to paraphrase) for a while, but kicked their game into quality overdrive as well. Larger companies like Samick own musical instrument manufacturing plants in Korea, China, Indonesia that manufacture something like 75% of the planet's guitars. They also own a chunk of Steinway, and pieces of high-end brands and manufacturers in the rest of the world as well.

Don't confuse country of manufacture with quality of build. You'll miss out on some great gear that way.
Quote by JustRooster
Gross.

I won't say you're wrong.

The only DBZs I like are the Royale and Imperial.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I won't say you're wrong.

The only DBZs I like are the Royale and Imperial.

The only DBZ I like has Goku in it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The only DBZ I like has Goku in it.

Gross.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Gross.

Pfft, you're old. You probably think Rocky and Bullwinkle is still the shit.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah you can be old too
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Hey, watch me pull an asswhuppin' outta this hat!

I'm just picky about my anime. DBZ was just a bunch of morons yelling about how ________ was more powerful than anyone they had ever seen before!

...right before they blow up half a planet fighting.

Gimme stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Half, FLCL, Slayers Robot Carnival or Big O.

There's a bunch of others I've watched, but many of them lose me at some point because I don't care for the writing.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah you can be old too

Hey I'm getting old, not there yet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hey, watch me pull an asswhuppin' outta this hat!

I'm just picky about my anime. DBZ was just a bunch of morons yelling about how ________ was more powerful than anyone they had ever seen before! right before they blow up half a planet fighting.

Gimme stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Half, FLCL, Robot Carnival or Big O.

Yeah but I was 8 and DB/DBZ was awesome. By the time I knew about stuff like Bebop and Trigun etc... I wasn't into Anime.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Hey I'm getting old, not there yet

Let me know when you get there. I'll queue the sad music and get the birdshot.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I always liked Gundam and Vampire hunter D

If I get there then that will be a celebration, not sad
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gundam was awesome. I only watched the original, a few of the movies (0083 was the bomb) and GWing.

Anywho, to get slightly back OT. I mean most people are going to recommend the LTD over a BC Rich (most likely not just here either) but if you feel like its worth it Fisheth then go for it. The specs don't look terrible but BC Rich is one of those brands that I'd want to try before I buy. Deffo wouldn't do it blind.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, totally agreed. Had my share of being burnt after buying blind. I was about to try the Epiphone out, but that involves two hours travel and thirty quid more than the Thomman price.

OT the DBZ's look tasty. They remind me of M14's rather than guitars though!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If it is the NJ series and above BC Rich then I'd go with a BC Rich personally. But I think that the LTD's are better than most any of the lower lines by a good margin. But most of BCR shapes put people off.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If it is the NJ series and above BC Rich then I'd go with a BC Rich personally. But I think that the LTD's are better than most any of the lower lines by a good margin. But most of BCR shapes put people off.

agree. BCR has gotten a rep based on their 90s guitars which often weren't very good. the new stuff is usually fairly decent (in it's price range). any of the neck thru guitars are good.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Not everyone from that generation thinks that R&B is still the shit. I recently got in touch with their old nemesis, now greeting visitors at a Walmartski:

<*Google Translate from Russian*>

"Yes. ****(untranslatable) Moose and Squirrel! Partner Boris pass away, but I am still hating Moose and Squirrel!"

Natasha "
Quote by Fisheth24
So guys, as a regular pretty much for the last year or so I've come to an conclusion on an opinion that BC Rich stuff doesn't really crop up on here. When I first starting discussing on here it was all Ibanez based, what's changed with UG? Is it because people are trying more stuff or for a variety of different reasons to do with pricing and so on that there's other things that might be better in terms of peoples personal budget?

Anyway, my band is now wanting to move into the realms of seven string guitars, because of reasons, but we're not into the 0-0-0-0-0 thing.

Erm...what is "the 0-0-0-0-0 thing?"

And...if the only thing you can get (or afford) is a frippin' Ibanez, that's probably what you're going to discuss. When you start adding people who have a much wider access to guitars, things widen out. And yes, there are other things available out there.

Where are you at?

BC Rich stuff has gone from being amazing hand-crafted guitars to a random brand name slapped on crapola guitars that LOOK like the old good stuff, to..??? At one point they were probably the most innovative guitars on the planet (save Alembic). That's ancient history.
Quote by JustRooster
Dragon Ball Z's first season in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDPPBbQ_jU

Thank you for that- sending that to my 20 year old DBZ-crazed cousin.