E A D G B E
0 2 6 4 4 2

Chord Displayed on chorderator.com

It says it's an Emaj9, but I can't find it searching for Emaj9 anywhere else. Is there a more specific name for it? I can't find it hardly anywhere online.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's an Emaj9.

Does it matter? Do you understand what the chord sounds like more now?

Maybe I wanted to know the proper name for the chord so I could go and find what people think about it, why they use it, good alternatives, how they use it and what songs feature it.

Most examples of Emaj9 are very different than the one I posted, so maybe I'd like to dig up some more information on this oddball variation.

What's with the attitude.

Quote by MapOfYourHead
E|-0------|
B|-0------|
G|-13-----|
D|-16-----|
A|-18-----|
E|-0------|

Can you find this Emaj9 anywhere? Look at the notes, not the shape.

That's an Eb minor isn't it? I don't know. Theory has always been my weakness. Why do you ask?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by touji-za-nai

That's an Eb minor isn't it? I don't know. Theory has always been my weakness. Why do you ask?

No, it's an Emaj9. I was alluding to the fact that if you can't find a specific shape anywhere it doesn't mean the chord name is wrong.
It doesn't matter if you don't find that particular shape anywhere else on the internet. What matters is the notes you are playing, not the chord shape.

As long as you have E, G#, B, D#, F#
ANYWHERE on the guitar neck, you're playing an Emaj9. You can omit the fifth (B) if you like. It's not an important tone.
Does it matter? Do you understand what the chord sounds like more now?

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You brought the attitude. I just asked two questions.

Get outta here with that. You were so obviously trying to imply my question was unnecessary and giving me flak about it.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Just figure out the notes in your chord and the notes in the Emaj9 chord. They are the same notes so they are the same chord. You just have found a voicing that isn't used a lot and thus doesn't have a name in chord charts. But the notes in the chord are E, B, G#, B, D# and F#. And they form an Emaj9 chord and that's the name of the chord. There are no other names for it.

There are so many voicings of the same chord that only the most common voicings are shown in chord charts. But you can always come up with your own voicings.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Elintasokas
It doesn't matter if you don't find that particular shape anywhere else on the internet. What matters is the notes you are playing, not the chord shape.

As long as you have E, G#, B, D#, F#
ANYWHERE on the guitar neck, you're playing an Emaj9. You can omit the fifth (B) if you like. It's not an important tone.

Oh I see. Thank you. The typical arrangement of Emaj9 such as
EADGBE
0 7 6 8 7 0

-had a bit of a different sound to it, more so than most variations would differ. So I didn't know if something weird was going on with the chord I was questioning. Thanks for clearing it up.

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Just figure out the notes in your chord and the notes in the Emaj9 chord. They are the same notes so they are the same chord. You just have found a voicing that isn't used a lot and thus doesn't have a name in chord charts. But the notes in the chord are E, B, G#, B, D# and F#. And they form an Emaj9 chord and that's the name of the chord. There are no other names for it.

There are so many voicings of the same chord that only the most common voicings are shown in chord charts. But you can always come up with your own voicings.

Thank you.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808