Hey guys, I have a 5 page evaluation essay to write based on a career choice and why someone would want to pursue a career in that field. Guitar building was one of the options, and part of the assignment was to 'interview' people that would have some knowledge on the topic, so here I am.

What do you think the perks of building guitars would be? Exciting? Hands-on? Relaxing? It doesn't have to be related to actually playing the guitar/saving money from having to purchase/fix your own.
Quote by LostLegion
No. Bad work environment

How so? Are you referring to working in a shop with bad management/slave work, or having sand dust/paint floating around and maybe creating a hazardous work environment?
Not really. I quite enjoy my psychology education so far and plan to stick with that
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I built two, one from a kit and one from sourced parts. No extensive woodworking done by myself and barely any finishing even (first was a rushed job by me, second body was pre-finished and I just used tru-oil on the neck). There's a good amount of satisfaction to it and I like to plan out these builds in my head but I'll never make them. I don't have the woodworking skill to make one from scratch. The finishes take a lot of patience. I know bugger all about electronics and I'm useless with a soldering iron.

So as an experiment thing, it was fun. No way would I make a career from it. If you're curious, here is the second build.

http://imgur.com/a/HTZP3#0
I would imagine that after a while it could get insanely boring, after all it's just a slightly fancy assembly line.

Building pedals or synths or any kind of electronics-based thing though, that'd be cool. More variety.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I think the term you're looking for is guitar luthier.

And I've thought about it, but I think you have to have more of a passion for building and craftsmanship than you do for playing music to really enjoy it.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by homeless-john
I built two, one from a kit and one from sourced parts. No extensive woodworking done by myself and barely any finishing even (first was a rushed job by me, second body was pre-finished and I just used tru-oil on the neck). There's a good amount of satisfaction to it and I like to plan out these builds in my head but I'll never make them. I don't have the woodworking skill to make one from scratch. The finishes take a lot of patience. I know bugger all about electronics and I'm useless with a soldering iron.

So as an experiment thing, it was fun. No way would I make a career from it. If you're curious, here is the second build.

It looks real nice dude
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Hey man, I think it might be worthwhile asking this question in another subforum. I'm pretty sure we have an entire subforum dedicated to talking about building guitars.
In A Few Years No More Guitars It's All Naked Women With Back Up Singers And Dancers And This Dam Electronic Shit.if You Make Guitars Hide Them So No One Gets Them And Learn To Play Only E And A String On Them Ha Ha
it would be a fun hobby, but working for a big, faceless guitar company would probably suck. Lot's of hours of slave work, and the chemicals and saw dust you inhale on a daily basis cant be that great.

Now, working indipendanly (putting up signs, getting random people to pay me to fix their instruemnts), would be a bit better. No work schedule, no boss, etc. But the pay wouldnt be enough, and i sure as hell would get bored after a year or 2.

so, probably not in the long run.

Short, hands-on, contract seasonal summer/winter job with decent pay and good hours? Sure! sign me up!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

With how much they charge for an LP standard I'm sure they are
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
On my own, sure. I've done it, and woodworking is relaxing. But not as a day job in a factory, I'd rather my lungs not fill up with sawdust.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by homeless-john

what a feckin beauty
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Building guitars like luthier I don't think that's what I'm good at. But I love fixing and setting up guitars. I'm hoping to customized a Squier I got when I was fifteen that me and my friends already tried to work on, but we rushed it to be a two day project and really messed it up. Dug holes in the body with a sander and everything. And the paint was awful but now I want to take time and do the process the correct way. I'm asking my local guitar shop here in Raleigh for advice and they are guru's at this stuff.
not really. sounds extremely boring and sounds like i'd become a guy i absolutely hate.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
No, I hate using my hands, tools, fiddly stuff, glue, woodwork. Always have. I don't even change my own guitar strings.
I would love it, but I'd have to make the same money as I do now, and in future it would have to rise as it would in any good career, so probably never gonna happen
I think it would be cool for a few years, but it would start getting very boring. It's a good learning experience for those who haven't done woodworking before though. It's such an underrated skill that you can apply in all kinds of ways. Including saving a ton of money by not getting somebody else to repair things for you, but to actually repair things yourself.
Quote by Jehannum
No, I hate using my hands, tools, fiddly stuff, glue, woodwork. Always have. I don't even change my own guitar strings.

You really, really need to know how to do that.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2014,
I was an apprentice for two luthiers for a couple years and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I guarantee you that you would meet more wonderful people and musicians working as a luthier than in any other field you could take up. That being said, money would certainly be tight until you could establish a hold on the marketplace. You'd find yourself repairing alot of cheaper more boring guitars just so you could continue building your own. Repairing guitars isn't a bad thing to do, but it's not nearly as satisfying as building one. If you wanted to work for a larger company like Martin or Gibson, you would probably find yourself doing the same thing every day, whether that's fitting necks or inlaying tops I guarantee you it will get boring eventually. The act of building a guitar from scratch is a beautiful thing, somehow your soul works itself into the wood and glue and when you're done the sound that comes from it is a sound that is very personal to you and you alone. That's a feeling you couldn't get at a bigger company midnlessly tapping in frets. If it is a career you're interested in then go for it. there are very few careers as rewarding as this one. Just be aware that once you're hooked on it you're hooked on it, there's no such thing as building "just one".
Last edited by pandaburger19 at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by entity0009
I would imagine that after a while it could get insanely boring, after all it's just a slightly fancy assembly line.

Building pedals or synths or any kind of electronics-based thing though, that'd be cool. More variety.

Agreed. I work as a guitar tech. Only so much of the guitar lends itself to experimentation. Effects would be so much more fun and evolving.
I would immensely love to make a career out of building guitars. That's like the third best career i can think of.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I love woodworking, and hands-on craftsmanship in general.
I've built 2 guitars in my life, both weren't brilliant but the experience taught me a lot about a lot of things. I could easily work as a carpenter, luthier, joiner or related fields not limited to guitars but I would think I could quite happily do that for several years before finding another line of work.
I built a telecaster a few years ago, and started a new guitar yesterday. I think making a career out of building guitars is very different to doing it as a hobby. You have to manage the whole business side of it. You're basically on your own competing with multi-million dollar corporations that churn out hundreds of guitars a day.

Here's a post from another forum that you may find interesting:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/142206-getting-started-lutherie-business.html
Quote by captainsnazz
i'm gonna surprise you all here by saying that i actually vaguely enjoy building guitars cos woodwork

will you fly over here and build a guitar for me

thanks
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
In the future when I have my own space that I can keep tidy and organised, yes I would love it.

Currently, in a shared space, where people dump their shite in the way on a daily basis, no, it's too frustrating.