Hey all. I have a problem.

I'm fresh into the wilderness between bands, with a raft of equipment at my disposal, and, before I list the equipment, my problem is: what the hell do I do with all this?! Here's the list:

Roland GR-55, Boss RC300, Behringer FCB1010, Line 6 PODxt, MIDI box to link all these, with a USB/MIDI cable to a laptop with Ableton Live 9 and FL Studio 11. I also have an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX mixer too, as well as a couple of Roland CM-30 Cubes for amplification. Oh yeah, and in the event I grow an extra couple of arms, a Novation Launchkey 61, and an Akai LPD8 tacked on the top of it, just for good measure!

I'm kind of in a conundrum with all this stuff right now, as there seem to be just too many linking/looping combinations for me to work out what is best for me. Does anybody have any good advice on how I can make all this stuff work together? I'm liking the Royal Blood kind of thing, and know I can get good bass emulation from the GR, guitar from the PODxt, and then loop them through either Ableton or the RC-300, but it's tangling my brain in a knot on how to do it successfully in the most versatile way! Just to add, I'm considering buying a bass amp to add to all this. Please help!

PS. I also have a Boss VE-20 vocal effects processor, although I add this as a side-point, as I sing much like I defecate - loudly, and without musicality!
Can you just split the signal off the Pod or GR, having one distorted guitar and the other clean and drop-tuned? That'd be the easiest way to get a faux Royal Blood sound imo. Also, having the control of the guitar/fake-bass in a single processor gives you more freedom to control the vocal processor too. You could also link them via midi and use one of them as the master controller but that'll require more work to set up in order to simplify your playing.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Sep 23, 2014,
I like your idea, Crow, as trying to minimize tap-dancing is what I'm trying to get here. Splitting the signal from either wouldn't be a problem as they both have L and R lines out, but the problem is I don't know how I'd treat each signal differently, as in how to apply the down-tuning to the clean channel, or the distortion to the standard one. I also want to get them so I can switch off the guitar sound, and loop a faux-bassline, fill over the top with just the guitar, then break into the guitar/bass combo together for a chorus. I'm thinking the secret lies in how I program the Behringer, but that leaves the question of which MIDI channels to choose - all hardware on the same, or each to their own? Aaarrrggghhh!!

edit: the Behringer can act as the MIDI master over both devices
Last edited by axeman4666 at Sep 23, 2014,
Well, just for anyone who stumbles upon this and is suffering similar problems, I found a solution! It lay, as I thought, in the programming of the Behringer MIDI pedal.

Firstly, I dial in a good bass sound through the emulators in the GR-55 (very convincing fake bass). I train a lead over to the RC-300 into the left input for a mono connection. Next, I dial in my fave guitar through the PODxt, and make a connection from the GR's guitar out to the PODxt input. From the PODxt's output I again make a mono connection, this time to the RC-300's right input slot. So far so good. Now, with headphones straight into the RC-300, I initially thought "shit" as I had bass through one ear, and guitar through the other, but as it happens, this is perfect! At home, I can just trail the left and right outputs of the RC-300 to separate mixer slots, pan them to my taste, then voila! nicely mixable guitar and bass at the same time! The real benefit of this will be live though. I've yet to get the bass amp to check it's all cool, but in principle, I will hook my Roland cubes to the RC-300s left output, which will playback just guitar, regardless of the slot I choose to use on the RC, and the bass amp attached to the right, to do exactly the same job for all the bass elements! Awesomeness!!!

The real breakthrough came in the Behringer though. I won't go into detail, but if you own one and want the specific programming parameters I used, I'd be more than happy to tell you! Basically I have it now so I can press a single button that changes the patches on both the GR and the PODxt. If I press the same button again, the PODxt mutes, leaving just the bass for me to loop some chunky bassline. Next press mutes the GR, and unmutes the PODxt, giving me just the guitar to noodle over the top with. The next press mutes both (which I didn't necessarily want) and then one more press gets me back to guitar and bass together! Not just a solution to my problem, but a highly economical one too, which leaves the other buttons of the Behringer free to link with Ableton for the looping of other song elements. Winner!!