Hi everyone! I'm new here, so I really do apologize if this is in the wrong forum area (didn't know where to put it).

So, basically I want to learn to play the guitar (probably acoustic). I've played the piano for about 5 years and I used to play the viola for maybe 1 year (at my school), but I didn't like it and dropped out. My parents first made me play piano, I've grown to enjoy the sound of it, but I don't really LOVE it. I don't go to play it when i'm in a bad mood, I think of it as something I have to do not want to do, if you know what I mean. I was okay at the viola, but wasn't really into all the classical music that I had to play and the sound of it.

My brother started taking guitar lessons about a month ago. My dad had this very nice guitar, but it was too big for him so he got his very own. I've been listening to the sound of him playing and I really love it. I would want to play more country and 1D songs (yep I'm a fan).

I already have piano lessons once a week and she charges $90 an hour, my brother had the same for guitar. I do so many other things, and i'm starting jumping lessons, so I don't really have time and want to ask my parents for guitar lessons.

Is there any way that I can learn to play the guitar on my own? My dad's guitar is quite big for me, but if my brothers gone I can practice on his, and then once I learn I can save up for a guitar. So, how can I teach myself how to play?

Thanks again!
Yeah loads of people play guitar on their own. I've never taken lesson. I'm not particularly amazing, mind you, but that's just cause it's been more of a casual hobby for me than anything else.

The way I learnt, and other people may not agree with me, is I just printed off the tabs of a song I wanted to learn, and just kind of went through it. It's hard at first, like any instrument, but you get used to it over time.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Sure you can learn on your own just make sure you monitor your progress to your musical goals. Do not spend years trying to perfect one little thing. Your piano background, especially if classically trained in it will serve you very, very well. Understanding classical music can really separate the men from the boys when it comes to music. If you are really determined to learn guitar on your own you can do it, but just remember to make sure you are making some sort of progress. If you are not making progress it may be best to seek out a teacher for your trouble areas.
Last edited by Unreal T at Sep 23, 2014,
I've also never had a lesson in my life.

You can absolutely learn on your own. You do need to find time though. Be consistent in your practice and you will see improvement.

As you already have some experience with the piano you will have a small advantage. It is a completely different instrument but things like finger strength, finger independence, rhythm etc will all help.
Si
Id take a lesson or two to get the basic technique to avoid hurting yourself if possible.... but yes it is possible to learn guitar on your own
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Why not ask your brother and dad to teach you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Easy, look up the chords or tabs for what song you want to play, see where your fingers need to go, put them there, and strum until it sounds right!!!
The fact that you have already been playing the piano is going to help you a lot. I mean, you already understand music (rhythm, chords, notes, all that - also, your ear is more developed). People who have never played an instrument will most likely learn slower because they also need to learn the "language" of music.

I also play the trumpet and when I started playing the guitar, my trumpet background did definitely help me, even though it's a completely different instrument. It was pretty easy to just pick up a new instrument and start playing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115