I'm starting to lose feeling in my fingertips sort of. If I poke my fingers with a sowing needle, it will hurt, but the sensitivity is decreasing and I believe it's because calluses are forming. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So, to my question. I've read that calluses can become infected, break open, bleed, and so on and so forth. Is there a way to control them so my fingers stop hurting, but also don't get infected or anything?
Honestly, I doubt you will have any problems.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
I used to love poking broken high-e strings through my callous(es?) in my fingers. I could completely wrap it around the end of my finger without blood. Every now and again I would prick myself, and that wasn't fun.

Eventually your callous(es?) will be hard enough where it doesn't hurt, or at least not as much. But I've played for 10 years, and playing a metal-stringed acoustic (I usually play electric) can still hurt after a while.
Callouses are basically just thicker, harder skin, on places where the skin got hurt repeatedly in some way. They will prevent infections/injuries/blisters if anything, since the distance between your blood vessels and the actual top layer of your skin is increased. One thing to keep in mind though that gunk and dirt WILL get onto your strings, so make sure you wash your hands before and after playing if you DO have something like a papercut or whatever on your fingers.

Tl,dr: Learn to live with it. I've lost the feeling in my fingertips a couple of years ago (comes in quite handy when you don't have nails but want to open a tightly sealed off soda can :P ) but never had any problems with infections or strange shit.
Last edited by Eryth at Sep 24, 2014,
I rip my callouses off everyday the way I practice, and the majority of things I practice are on an acoustic.

I find the harder the callous the easier it is to play. You don't have to press on as hard due to the firm tip of your finger, especially with legato.