Page 1 of 2
I did a search and saw a few threads that are semi-related, and also a Ferguson-dedicated thread. I'd like to start a new discussion about human rights.

If you live in the US, you have probably heard about the event that went down in Ferguson, Missouri. If you didn't, here's a timeline-summary: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/correction-police-shooting-missouri-timeline-25577502

tl;dr version: Two black males, walking home from a convenience store, are confronted by a police officer. One, who is unarmed, is shot and killed by the officer. Since this happened, the Ferguson area has underwent multiple violent protests.

Contrary to this event,

Recently in my areas' news reports, a college student was shot in her back, and the suspects are a group of black males. In fact, most of the criminal suspects in the news in my area are black.

Why?

I mean really, why?

I understand that a lot of racism still exists. I understand that white males (like me) still have an unspoken, unwritten privilege over ~minorities in certain fields of life. I understand that blacks are still fighting for rights today. I also understand all demographics (or races, whatever term applies) face discrimination issues as well.

So why completely ignore the efforts of those who fought during the Civil Rights movement? Why ignore the efforts of those who fought during other rights cases? Why throw away those rights to commit criminal acts? Why would someone devalue themselves?

The people of the Civil Rights movement sought to give all humans all human rights. If you're not willing to be the human those fighters fought to be, you don't deserve those rights, and I would go as far as to say you're no longer human until you prove yourself otherwise.

Thoughts?

inb4 "omg u racist"
You're ****ing stupid
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
no
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Surely you understand that the issues in the black community aren't because people just choose to ignore the positive effects of the civil rights movements?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by BladeSlinger
no

Then I'll just discredit your opinion of me.

Quote by Baby Joel
Surely you understand that the issues in the black community aren't because people just choose to ignore the positive effects of the civil rights movements?

Yes. I also listed that other (x) communities struggle with issues as well.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane

Yes. I also listed that other (x)communities struggle with issues as well.

Good. Your post made it sound otherwise.

So...what exactly is the question/point of discussion?
so you're saying that black people who are criminals aren't people because they're ignoring what was done in the civil rights movement
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You know what? **** all of you assholes and your god damned human rights. The very phrase in itself is discriminatory. How the **** about we call it human lefts? Why are left handed people still so repressed and scorned even in the 21st century? Why must we be forced to wade through the throes of using tools designed specifically for right handed people? Do you high and mighty right handed folks understand how difficult it is to use a right handed ice cream scoop?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Baby Joel
Good. Your post made it sound otherwise.

So...what exactly is the question/point of discussion?

Thoughts on the struggle for human rights, sparked by the events of Ferguson and the event in my area. I listed my view.

Quote by BladeSlinger
so you're saying that black people who are criminals aren't people because they're ignoring what was done in the civil rights movement

They are ignoring the fight to have human rights. This also applies to any criminal (white, mexican, latin, Indian, etc) who commits unrelative obscene crimes. Unrelative meaning: Things like rape and murder are not good or bad relative to moral view unless you're really messed up. If you ignore that unrelative moral view, I don't consider you deserving of human rights, and neither does the government.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 24, 2014,
um well yes. Human rights are important. People should have them.
Bad people do bad things regardless of where they are, or what colour they are, or whatever.

???

I'm sorry mate, but you gotta be a bit clearer. I just don't really know what you want us to talk about
Quote by Acϵ♠
You know what? **** all of you assholes and your god damned human rights. The very phrase in itself is discriminatory. How the **** about we call it human lefts? Why are left handed people still so repressed and scorned even in the 21st century? Why must we be forced to wade through the throes of using tools designed specifically for right handed people? Do you high and mighty right handed folks understand how difficult it is to use a right handed ice cream scoop?

Shut up you left handed freak
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
A controversial human rights museum just opened in my city. There were protests by First Nations groups who were dissatisfied with the fact that the museum did not call what the Europeans did to their peoples a genocide (and maybe other stuff, frankly I just read the headline).

Also, omg u racist.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
A controversial human rights museum just opened in my city. There were protests by First Nations groups who were dissatisfied with the fact that the museum did not call what the Europeans did to their peoples a genocide (and maybe other stuff, frankly I just read the headline).

Also, omg u racist.

They really need to rewrite history books. It was genocide and ****ing horrific. They act like north america was discovered for the first time when Europeans showed up. People had been there for a long time but Columbus still "discovered" it.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Acϵ♠

Hey it's not our fault lefties are too lazy/untalented to make their own tools.
i have a dream
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by deadsmileyface
this is white people

this
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Baby Joel
I'm sorry mate, but you gotta be a bit clearer. I just don't really know what you want us to talk about

No problem. I'm a scatter brained individual. A discussion is going on, I'm just having to guide it and list presuppositions before it goes off on it's own.

I created this thread from the spark of the 2 events, and I thought about the rights of a human, what it means to be human, the rights of someone who committed an unrelative morally bad crime, etc. I wanted to hear other perspectives and thoughts.
Quote by Will Lane
A discussion is going on
Bit of a stretch to call it that but ok
ggg1 ggg3

lefty and proud

Quote by deadsmileyface
this is white people

beauty

The civil rights movement brought about change for the rest of minorities for better living conditions. No more segregated everything, no more blatant violations of large minority groups, no more lynch mobs, and less power to factions that impose radical racist justice.

What we are witnessing now is a product of racism in other forms. It's more of a civil unrest kind of thing. Instead of segregating municipalities and public places, we segregate neighborhoods as a different form of unofficial isolation.

Police officers are the main force driven behind this construct imo. There's something about law enforcement that in todays age has gone from it being a racial problem, to a all of us problem. Making sure that certain neighborhoods are kept in line regardless of race and by any means. As for blacks killing whites and such, yeah that stuff is going to happen. So is vice versa.

This is what happens when you mix so many varying cultures together in one big pot, stur the pot and hope the ingredients work. Thats what our countries goals and ambitions have strived for despite setbacks.

Human rights? We try, we try really hard, but in this great big unjust world, how can we obey basic human rights, when we lost that right to everything that buys out everything else.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by BladeSlinger
They really need to rewrite history books. It was genocide and ****ing horrific. They act like north america was discovered for the first time when Europeans showed up. People had been there for a long time but Columbus still "discovered" it.

When I was in history class, I maybe heard the term "murder" or "kill" just a few times. Most of the time it was about making a "deal" with the Native Americans. They talked about a few wars, but you could tell the textbook was trying to cover it up with American Pride.

I wonder how different a Native American-geared textbook lists these events.
Quote by Acϵ♠
i have a dream

As long as I draw I breath I will not allow lefties and righties to share the same bathrooms. #AllLeftiesToTheBackOfTheBus2014
Quote by Will Lane
When I was in history class, I maybe heard the term "murder" or "kill" just a few times. Most of the time it was about making a "deal" with the Native Americans. They talked about a few wars, but you could tell the textbook was trying to cover it up with American Pride.

It shouldn't be Native American geared textbooks. This isn't White People History versus everything else.

The fact of the matter is that the US government committed genocide. They also made multiple written agreements where they purposefully mistranslated the agreement so the leaders would sign away their rights. Native Americans couldn't even vote until the 30's or so. They couldn't practice their religion until the 70's. The government elected their leaders.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Nelshizzle
This is what happens when you mix so many varying cultures together in one big pot, stur the pot and hope the ingredients work. Thats what our countries goals and ambitions have strived for despite setbacks.

So what attribute(s) from any given culture is it that causes so much discourse, racism, etc?

Quote by BladeSlinger
The fact of the matter is that the US government committed genocide. They also made multiple written agreements where they purposefully mistranslated the agreement so the leaders would sign away their rights. Native Americans couldn't even vote until the 30's or so. They couldn't practice their religion until the 70's. The government elected their leaders.

That's what I'm saying, the American-geared textbooks try to cover up the trash that whites have done. I've never heard about mistranslation or NA civil rights issues.

I've never seen a history textbook that wasn't written from a prideful American's perspective.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane

history is written by the victors. history textbooks will always have bias.
I don't think it's any fault of one specific culture or anything. People don't like what's different to them. That's always been a thing. We're getting closer to getting past that, but still no where near there. So you get a few different cultures in the same area, the 'like' people stick together, and whoever is stronger comes out on top.

Is how it often happens at least.
Quote by Will Lane
So what attribute(s) from any given culture is it that causes so much discourse, racism, etc?

Well, some European countries had a significant colonial period. It's a culture of oppression and control and continues in many English speaking countries today. It's also an issue of power. Any means that give one group power over another can be used. Look at the various countries who colonized Africa for it's various resources. slaves, ivory, etc. Eugenics suddenly became very big. They were intent on finding something that proved Africans were inferior genetically. It would justify their oppression of them. These ideas still linger today. That people of African descent are somehow more prone to crime or less intelligent. The US has slavery to add to its infrastructure of oppression. Really, the US just hates anyone who isn't seen as the everyman. Happened with Irish, Asians, Africans, Native Americans. Brutal oppression because they were Other.

Still happens today. The American everyman is straight, white, and male. Anything that is not that could be seen as less than. The media keeps it going. Shit like that.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
From what I've experienced a big part of it is because racial stereotypes still play a big role in society. I grew up in a mostly Latino community (my high school was roughly 75% Latino) and the effects of stereotypes were very strong there and I feel as though it affected everyone's expectations of themselves as well as each other. A lot of people I knew didn't really expect themselves to do anything but mechanic work, agriculture, or anything blue collar. I can only imagine what it's like in an African American community where society expects them to be nothing more than gang members or career criminals.

also I apologize if that's poorly written, I'm tired

also Nelshizzle that segregated neighborhoods thing you said is spot on
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Baby Joel

This is another moralizing/self flagellating thread for the Pit's white children so they can better sleep at night.
Quote by Rossenrot
self flagellating

that's when you suck your own dick right

cause I really wish I could do that
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by deadsmileyface
this is white people

Dark meat is always juicier.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Rossenrot
This is another moralizing/self flagellating thread for the Pit's white children so they can better sleep at night.

I'm a half brown insomniac and this is offended
Quote by Will Lane
So why completely ignore the efforts of those who fought during the Civil Rights movement? Why ignore the efforts of those who fought during other rights cases? Why throw away those rights to commit criminal acts? Why would someone devalue themselves?

The people of the Civil Rights movement sought to give all humans all human rights. If you're not willing to be the human those fighters fought to be, you don't deserve those rights, and I would go as far as to say you're no longer human until you prove yourself otherwise.

Thoughts?

inb4 "omg u racist"

tl:dr since one blackie shot a lady the civil rights movement was a sham and they should go back to africa

what a jackass
Quote by captaincrunk
tl:dr since one blackie shot a lady the civil rights movement was a sham and they should go back to africa

what a jackass

Exactly what I said. You managed to give the purest quintessence of my op.
Quote by Nelshizzle
The civil rights movement brought about change for the rest of minorities for better living conditions. No more segregated everything, no more blatant violations of large minority groups, no more lynch mobs, and less power to factions that impose radical racist justice.

What we are witnessing now is a product of racism in other forms. It's more of a civil unrest kind of thing. Instead of segregating municipalities and public places, we segregate neighborhoods as a different form of unofficial isolation.

Police officers are the main force driven behind this construct imo. There's something about law enforcement that in todays age has gone from it being a racial problem, to a all of us problem. Making sure that certain neighborhoods are kept in line regardless of race and by any means. As for blacks killing whites and such, yeah that stuff is going to happen. So is vice versa.

agre

Human rights? We try, we try really hard, but in this great big unjust world, how can we obey basic human rights, when we lost that right to everything that buys out everything else.

dis agre. This comes off as lazy.

Also, OP, you're conflating urban crime as a result of racial segregation and institutionalized racism for being spokesmen on civil rights.

Also, that I have a dream speech was awesome but every white person that refers to it whenever someone black commits a crime can suck a long bong dong like a bubbly schlong
Quote by snipelfritz
Dark meat is always juicier.

Ye
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
lol OP you've made the classic mistake of bringing up a point of view that doesn't mesh well with the base of UG (rabid libtards)

I get what you're saying. If it had been the other way around you know that shit would be national news.

With that said, you have to avoid looking at this in a vacuum. Those thugs may be thugs, but they are most likely a product of their environment, an environment that is partially shaped by systemic racism/discrimination. The last thing they were thinking about when they committed those crimes is "I wonder if this will drag down our reputation..."

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 24, 2014,
Page 1 of 2