I currently have a fender blues deville 212 and I am thinking of selling it. It has amazing cleans but I find that I use distortion nearly all the time I play plus i'm part of a start up band and we play rock and metal mainly, and I tend to use pedals to get a sound close to where I want to be but its never quite there.

So I'm thinking of selling the deville and getting a metal/hard rock amp. I'd like to be able to get very tight deep punchy rhythm sounds. Some of the bands that have a sound I like are Animals as Leaders, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold.

I'd like to still have some cleans available (I realize they wont match the fender) so I'm guessing a multi channel amp would be needed.

I also would like it to be all valve rather than modeling for instance as I feel that it will be easier to sell a valve amp if I want another change in a few years.

I always felt the deville (60w 212) was a little big for my needs and I've never had chance to push it as it needs so I'm thinking a 112 and 50w or less but I've heard that a good modern metal amp is unusually large to avoid power amp distortion? - Just to clarify, id happily use a combo but if its going to be as big as the deville id rather use a head an cab as the deville is massive and cumbersome.

I live near Sheffield, England.

I want to buy used.

I want to spend £600 or less (maybe upto £700 if the deal was very good).

I want a super modern (djenty) style sound.

Any advice appreciated.

lodgi
For djent in particular, maybe a used fireball or powerball + a harley benton G212 vintage.

For modern metal in general (also some djent) a used 6505 or 6505+ combo, or head + cab if you can find the head for little enough money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
For djent in particular, maybe a used fireball or powerball + a harley benton G212 vintage.

For modern metal in general (also some djent) a used 6505 or 6505+ combo, or head + cab if you can find the head for little enough money.

When I say djent, im not sure if I know what it means, but I'm meaning heavy palm muted rhythm sounds and galloping.

I read a review that said the 6505 is slightly vintage voiced compared to Engl type amps?
Quote by lodgi
When I say djent, im not sure if I know what it means, but I'm meaning heavy palm muted rhythm sounds and galloping.

I read a review that said the 6505 is slightly vintage voiced compared to Engl type amps?

That's not necessarily djent. "Djent" is achieved by cranking the mids and turning the bass and gain down. The low-end is brought back by tuning quite low -- typically drop-A or lower. Also, there is a focus on clarity of the distortion rather than a lot of saturation -- so the gain is set pretty low as well. Finally, the signal is boosted by an OD pedal, typically a tubescreamer or some variant. And then the signal is gated quite aggressively so there is absolute silence between palm mutes.

And yet another point -- 'Djent' players typically remove all 5 of the higher strings, as the low-E is really the only string necessary to play that genre. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Personally, I hate that sound.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+1 on the 112 6505. Avoid a 212 combo in these as they weight a ****ing ton.

I'd stick an OD pedal in the front to tighten things up and sticking some stupidly thick strings on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-6505-112-Combo-/281427340505?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4186606cd9

One on ebay in Pontefract for £275, try getting it for £250 and you're in business. I'd also recommend buying a noise gate and putting it in the FX loop. ISP Decimator G-String is fantastic at cutting sound on a knife edge. Would really help you get the sound.
Last edited by AndyGray at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by KailM
And yet another point -- 'Djent' players typically remove all 5 of the higher strings, as the low-E is really the only string necessary to play that genre. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Please, E2 is a note way too high for djent, you need a guitar with more strings

Though I agree with the rest.

AAL are djent, Tool and A7X aren't even by a stretch.
I'd get a 6505+ if I was you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by AndyGray
+1 on the 112 6505. Avoid a 212 combo in these as they weight a ****ing ton.

I'd stick an OD pedal in the front to tighten things up and sticking some stupidly thick strings on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-6505-112-Combo-/281427340505?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4186606cd9

One on ebay in Pontefract for £275, try getting it for £250 and you're in business. I'd also recommend buying a noise gate and putting it in the FX loop. ISP Decimator G-String is fantastic at cutting sound on a knife edge. Would really help you get the sound.

That's a good find cheers!

Has anyone had a 6505 112 combo?
Peavey 6505 + tubescreamer variant as a boost will get you there. 6505 serie with a boost is a modern metal classic, this includes djent. There are better and more modern sounding stuff out there of course but for your budget its the best thing you can get really.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Linkerman
Right now there's a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo B-stock at a good price on Thomann:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo_b_stock_3.htm

This and throw a V30 in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I second anyone saying 6505+ combo. They are very good, and there are guides to converting it into head if that's what you want. Otherwise, just swap out the speaker for a v30, or check out the Hellatone 60 from avatar speakers which is cheaper and the same exact thing.

Also check out the Randall Diavlo series. They are very good.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-6505-head/5225

pair that with a harley benton g212 vintage cab from thomann (~£160)

I dunno how it is for djent, though, but it's basically the benchmark modern metal amp.

Quote by Linkerman
Right now there's a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo B-stock at a good price on Thomann:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo_b_stock_3.htm

no point, if he wants to save some gak has the combo for £350. By the time you get ripped by your CC on the foreign exchange fee, not to mention the rate, not to mention needing to get a UK plug... it'd be cheaper just to get the GAK one.

Granted, you get a 3 year warranty from thomann.

but i'd just get the 6505 head, if he can stretch. Not sure there's any point in going used either, with prices like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 24, 2014,
Peavey xxx,jsx,ultra+ as he would still
like some usable cleans with good metal
distortion. Not that the 6505+ cleans aren't
good these others are just better.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
no point, if he wants to save some gak has the combo for £350. By the time you get ripped by your CC on the foreign exchange fee, not to mention the rate, not to mention needing to get a UK plug... it'd be cheaper just to get the GAK one.

My bad, I saw that one on Thomann a couple days ago and thought it would be a good deal in this case.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^ That's a killer blow out deal that GAK currently has- in normal circumstances the thomann one would be a great deal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a Jet City 100HDM from Thomman for 370. Plus a Harley Benton with V30's in for 160 I'm sure that could do Djent with a Bad Monkey as a boost.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100