My friend has been playing on a crappy, cheap acoustic guitar for around three years and wants to buy a better one. At the same time, he also wants to get into the electric scene. So naturally my thoughts went to semi-acoustics.

Since this is the electric guitar forum, how good is a semi-acoustic for rock? Should he get one? If yes, what is your suggestion?

Am posting a similar thread on the acoustic forum to see how the semi-acoustic does in that musical aspect.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32978811#post32978811
Last edited by josonmj at Sep 24, 2014,
I don't think anyone here would be able to tell you an answer since there is not right or wrong answer for this. It's what he likes.
He might try a semi-acoustic and hate it and go back to regular acoustic....or he might try it and end up loving full electric guitars.

I hate acoustic guitars personally because I can't see what I'm doing.
There are different kinds of semi-acoustic guitars. Hollow body guitars have full sized body. So their body is the same size as the body of an acoustic guitar. Then there are semi-hollow body guitars that don't have as wide (or "fat") body. If you are playing with distortion, you get feedback really easily (which is not a good thing because you can't control it). Semi-hollow body guitars don't sound that loud when unplugged and don't feed back as easily as normal hollow body guitars. They are kind of in between normal electric and hollow body.

If your friend plays at lower volumes, then yes, a semi-acoustic guitar could do the job. But you need to be careful with distortion (so it may not be ideal for rock music). Also, it may not sound the same as a regular acoustic guitar, especially if it's a semi-hollow.

Also, semi-acoustic guitars tend to be pretty expensive. My friend who owns one was (a 1964 Levin) told that to get a good one you need to pay some money. According to him the cheapest ones are not worth it. He uses his guitar for jazz only. And it feeds back really easily if you use any distortion (at bedroom volumes it does the job though).

I think the cheapest "true" semi-acoustic guitars are Ibanez Artcore series. The cheapest ones don't cost a lot but I don't know if they are that great. I think your friend may get a better guitar by buying a "real" electric for playing electric stuff and a "real" acoustic for playing acoustic stuff. Semi-acoustic may be a compromise.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ yeah i mean most semi-acoustics are basically just electrics with some air in them. they don't sound like acoustics, and depending on what electric stuff you're playing, may be much worse for that, too.

sometimes what appears to be the best of both worlds is actually the worst of both...

EDIT: just to clarify- i have nothing against semis. But I'd only get a semi if I wanted a semi- getting one to cover both electric and acoustic tones isn't really going to work so well, I don't think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There ARE crossover guitars.

The most obvious one is the Taylor T5.

Available in a ton of different woods and finishes, this is a thin hollow-bodied guitar with a pair of humbuckers (you can't see one of them) and a body pickup (piezo elements -- you can't see that either). Unplugged, it sounds like a real acoustic guitar, but a lot quieter. Plugged in, the body pickup sounds exactly as if you'd plugged in one of the other Taylor acoustics. Until you start using the humbuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhUQbFBWzvE
^ absolutely. I was figuring they were outside the budget.

and again i'd be kind of wary that you're sort of getting something which is kind of a compromise on everything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess both the threads are closed. Thanks to all for their valuable feedback. Truth is, the budget isn't too high and like said before buying a low-end one will be comprising on both fields.

Thanks once again for the info on what a semi-a truly is.