I saw a guitar i wanted in a store, a jackson dkmg, and it had rusty strings on it, then i looked next to that guitra and it even had rusty screws on the pickup ring, i asked him how long the jackson was in store and he said 3 months, i even noted slight rust or something that was on the frets, is this something that goes away when playing?. im in spain and the country is humid as shit ****, could the wood have been damaged by the high heat and humidity?
Quote by megadethmeister
I saw a guitar i wanted in a store, a jackson dkmg, and it had rusty strings on it, then i looked next to that guitra and it even had rusty screws on the pickup ring, i asked him how long the jackson was in store and he said 3 months, i even noted slight rust or something that was on the frets, is this something that goes away when playing?. im in spain and the country is humid as shit ****, could the wood have been damaged by the high heat and humidity?

Yes. Don't buy the guitar.

If it were me, I'd ask for a guitar new in the box.

If you buy the guitar (it's hanging on the wall, isn't it), you can change the strings (you should have THEM do this) and polish the frets (while the strings are OFF), which are already exhibiting corrosion. While 0000 (four 0's) steel wool is often suggested for fret polishing, you need to realize that your pickups must be covered if you do this. Fragments of the steel wool will be attracted to the pickups by the magnets, will rust and (since the creation of rust crystals actually expands the steel) potentially cause shorts in your pickups. Stewart-Macdonald (stewmac.com) has "fret erasers" that come in an array of grit that do a better job of this. Highly recommended that you pick them up and use them.

If screws are already rusting on the guitar, chances are good that your pots will begin to be scratchy and that switches may function badly. DeOxit (Google is your friend) can help, but if it continues, you may need to replace them.

My suggestion for storage (the condition of this guitar at 3 months *should* indicate to you that hanging the guitar on the wall or leaving it on a stand is a bad idea) is that you keep the guitar IN THE CASE and that you buy and include a VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) in the case with the guitar. You can find these at places like theruststore.com and sometimes at larger hardware stores. VCIs are sometimes incorporated into plastic bags that store tools, metal parts, etc. and even in wrapping materials designed to contain whole pallet-loads of materials. A VCI emits a vapor that condenses on the guitar (you won't see or feel it; it's only a few molecules thick) that helps prevent corrosion. These things are really beneficial because they help prevent corrosion in places you can't get to, such as pickup coil wire and pot wipers. All pickup coil wire has micro holes in the insulation. When humidity or salts from sweat or from ocean air get to these holes, the copper wire begins to corrode. As it does, it creates crystals, and those needle-sharp crystals expand, push their way through the insulation and past the insulation on the wires next to them, creating tiny shorts. After a while, you'll notice the pickup losing volume and eventually shorting out altogether. The VCI helps prevent that. VCI's will also help your strings last longer, and will help prevent the fret corrosion you're already seeing on the store guitar. Swap out the VCI emitters (they're $8-10) about once every year/year and a half.

Humidity *can* affect the neck of the guitar. This is especially true if the wood hasn't been aged long enough (some manufacturers stabilize their neck woods -- Carvin is one of those -- with a specific drying/cycling process) or if the neck is subjected to stress during storage. Often, the cheaper the guitar, the more likely you are to encounter issues. Finish also plays into neck warpage; oil finishes (linseed oil, tung oil) don't protect the necks from moisture as poly finishes do. Warmoth used to specifically deny warranty coverage to necks that were oil finished.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane
Maybe order the guitar from online or something. Store guitars are trash if people don't take care of them.

But you don't get to try the guitar before buying it. That matters a lot more to me than a few rusty screws.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you like the guitar, point out the flaws to them and ask what kind of deal they will give you for those problems. If your happy with what they want then buy it or order a brand new one if it is that important to you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you like the guitar, point out the flaws to them and ask what kind of deal they will give you for those problems. If your happy with what they want then buy it or order a brand new one if it is that important to you.

I like this idea better.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But you don't get to try the guitar before buying it. That matters a lot more to me than a few rusty screws.

Order a new one. Have it delivered to the store. Try it in the store. If it's good, leave the store with your new guitar.

I did that with my Variax JTV-89F. Opened the sealed box right in the store, made sure it was a good one. And no rusty screws, no preteen snot and no broken bits.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 24, 2014,