Page 1 of 2
Do any of you have goals in life you feel you've failed to achieve?

Possibly goals you've postponed?

What's stopping you from achieving them?

Just wondering
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Sep 24, 2014,
Tried taking up a few other instruments and fell through on them. I'm pretty much stuck on stringed things.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I guess graduating in 4 years like I thought I would. But whatever, I'm happier with what I'm studying now so it's no big deal.

Oh and buying a car kinda fell through when I quit my job
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 24, 2014,
I've failed to come up with any goals. I genuinely thought by now I'd at least have some vague idea about what I wanted to do in life.
'Be good at anything'

I'm sure i'll find something someday
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I want to be a writer someday and I write sometimes so I'm getting there maybe. I want to be in a band someday and I play music sometimes so I'm getting there maybe. I want to be happy someday and I smile sometimes so I'm getting there maybe.
My first big goal in life was to become a concert pianist. As it stands right now, I'm not super amazing at piano. I'm pretty good, definitely better than most people, but I could have been a lot better. I think as a kid, when I was better than literally everyone else I met, I just kind of assumed that I could become a concert pianist on minimum effort. I only practiced five hours a week, if that, and didn't really dedicate myself at all. I wonder, if I had practiced three, or even two, hours a day, how much more accomplished I'd be. I'd definitely be in a music performance uni right now.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
My first big goal in life was to become a concert pianist. As it stands right now, I'm not super amazing at piano. I'm pretty good, definitely better than most people, but I could have been a lot better. I think as a kid, when I was better than literally everyone else I met, I just kind of assumed that I could become a concert pianist on minimum effort. I only practiced five hours a week, if that, and didn't really dedicate myself at all. I wonder, if I had practiced three, or even two, hours a day, how much more accomplished I'd be. I'd definitely be in a music performance uni right now.

Precisely this in every, single solitary, possible way, THIS.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
'Be good at anything'

I'm sure i'll find something someday

Don't hold your breath

jk ilu you are great at everything you do

Also I want to be a meteorologist but first I have to pay off my existing school loans because #america
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I want to become a behavioral therapist. What's stopping me is the time and money I'd need to study it.

Another thing is being a professional musician. What stopped me there was not being in exactly the right place at the right time.

Another thing is MDD. What's stopping me is my own belief that if I can't achieve the aforementioned, that I don't really have any meaning to my life and so there's no incentive to care about being 'in the moment'. Plus the experiences I've had with therapy have sucked. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, but at least for now, dreaming will only make it hurt more.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by Baby Joel

Same here, but for jazz guitar.

The sole opportunity I had to dedicate the majority of my time to learning my instrument inside out and backwards was while I was studying music at college [fyi I live in Quebec so college here is in between high school and university].

I have a natural talent for music like you, but I pissed it all away by slacking off because at the time, I didn't like the material we were playing.
I want to just play music with friends.....but now I don't have any.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Most people are posting about goals that aren't tangible, but I'm still young so I haven't set any life goals that I can't yet achieve, besides the unrealistic ones I set when I was a child. The one thing that sticks out to me most was to collect luxury watches. With my wages, it would have taken roughly six months to buy just one that abode by the high standards I had set with the hobby.

It would have been nice to own a Rolex or Jaeger LeCoultre, but I'm such a spendthrift that it's extremely difficult for me to get there. Maybe (fingers crossed that I'm that financially comfortable) when my career is well established, I can begin to delve into that world again.
Quote by chrismendiola
Most people are posting about goals that aren't tangible

I'm curious as to which ones you think aren't tangible? I think that besides the replies that were obviously joking, so far the responses here have been very realistic and understandable.
Quote by chrismendiola
Most people are posting about goals that aren't tangible,

If we're going with intangible, I've always to walk on the moon.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel

yeah, you ain't gonna feel a thang thru those giant MOON BOOTS!
What a douche, you aspire to own some overpriced symbol status.
No underlying goal in life, just pure materialism.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I'm curious as to which ones you think aren't tangible? I think that besides the replies that were obviously joking, so far the responses here have been very realistic and understandable.

Quote by Baby Joel

By "tangible," I meant goals that can't be physically experienced, as opposed to a goal like buying, or achieving something that can be touched, or building something.

i.e. intangible: being in a profession, be financially stable
tangible: buying a dream car, design a building
Quote by Kyleisthename
What a douche, you aspire to own some overpriced symbol status.

Right, so because some people buy them for the sake of being ostentatious, that means I do, too.

I'm not bothered to put on a show for people. I buy myself things for many reasons. One might because I enjoy them (in this case, I do). Two, I might need them. But most importantly, and is especially relevant to this case, I like buying things because it gives me a sense of achievement. The items I buy are tangible representations of my hard work.

EDIT:
Quote by Kyleisthename
No underlying goal in life, just pure materialism.

Since you added more, I never said that I don't have any life goals. What I said was that I'm young so it's too early to tell whether or not I can or will be able to achieve those goals.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 24, 2014,
So.......waste your time chasing objects that have no use to justify their price since you're too young for goals.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Life in general. Never knew what I wanted to do with it.

Failed by wasting money trying to become a medical billing and coder. Nobody wanted me and now it's too late and everyone knows I forgot everything.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Sounds like you gave up on yourself guy.
The work is out there, you just have to apply yourself and find it.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
Sounds like you gave up on yourself guy.
The work is out there, you just have to apply yourself and find it.
It's been 3 years since graduating. Going on 4.

I kept bugging the school for the longest time because they have lifetime placement assistance and they put little to no effort in helping me, other than telling me to call them whenever I apply somewhere.

The license I got for it (optional, just to make my resume look better) expired. And it cost $70. And I got re-certified for an additional year, so another $70 gone.

Even worked as an intern for a month and didn't get anywhere.
Besides, I didn't really enjoy what I was doing there anyways. It might've been different with a different company, but I doubt I'll ever know.
Quote by deadsmileyface
also my life is a failure HAHA

failures 2gether

it's all coming back

I think I've genuinely failed every goal and aspiration I've ever had. We can't all be winners tho so whatev
Quote by Kyleisthename
So.......waste your time chasing objects that have no use to justify their price [...]

That's generally how hobbies work, yes. It's money you don't need really need to spend, but it's something that takes your time, effort, and money because you enjoy it. Is the idea of saving for something luxurious and being happy with it because of how it represents the efforts that went into earning it new to you? Because it's pretty damn common.

I don't care that you don't care for the things I like, but don't go putting things off in general just because you don't get it, because that's foolish. The notion that the resources that are needed to be spent on something isn't worth the results it yields can be said about anything, even if that isn't the case. It's a matter of whether or not the person believes those resources are being put to good use. In your case, I could advise you to take down your SoundCloud and YouTube, since you don't have much of an audience. But I'm sure you find it fun, so enjoy it some more. Some might say you're wasting your time on an Internet forum having a chat with strangers. Some might say you're wasting your time playing your guitar as a hobby.

Yeah, luxury watches are a lot of money, and a lot of people would say that finding out the time can be done for absolutely free, and they're absolutely right. In fact, most luxury watches don't even tell time that accurately, because a $10 watch from Walmart (or the mobile phone you already own) is more accurate. But it's the art and work on it that intrigues the participants of the hobby, not its function. Most importantly, to me, it materialises my hard work and I like knowing I have achieved something, not having something that tells people I'm wealthy. I don't care about my reputation. That would never work, anyway, since most people would just assume it was given to me as a gift from wealthy relatives.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I think I've genuinely failed every goal and aspiration I've ever had. We can't all be winners tho so whatev

join the sad club sister

all are welcome in this place
Sad Club Members:

Baby Joel
dead
GuitarGod_92

We are accepting new applicants.
it's all coming back

Do you have benifits?
there are plenty of shoulders to cry on in the #sadclub
it's all coming back

I wanted degrees in music and microbiology, but I was denied access to the microbiology BS because by the time I applied, my GPA was too low.

I switched to physiology, which is essentially the same thing I wanted to do, but am now being held back by Calculus II, which with me having never taken a proper Calculus I course, I am likely to fail.

So I think I'm going to drop Calc for now and focus on not failing my other classes. If I didn't drop it, I would have to quit my job or severely reduce them just to get to a C level in it. So I'll just focus on my 13 other credits and take Calculus I next semester.

I'm 3 credits away from my music BA, so that's essentially done.
Page 1 of 2