I was thinking about getting a gibson v and I have a pair of EMGs that I was thinking about putting it in. But the guitar is all front routed (all wiring is on the pickguard) So I was wondering if it would be a pain to replace batteries from the EMGs because of that. Or is there an easier way to get to the inside without removing the entire bridge?
I don't think you'd have to remove the bridge, just the pick-guard. If you don't want to do this you'll have to route a battery box in the back of the guitar.
I don't even know why you would want to put EMG's in a Gibson V. The stock 500T pickups sound great imo. I'd rather have them than EMG's running off only a single 9v.

There's plenty of room in there for a battery. The only place to put one is in the pot cavity. If you remove all the screws and bend the pickguard upwards, you might just be able to slip the battery out and put a new one in. But You risk putting a permanent bend in the pickguard. The only proper way of doing it is actually removing the bridge, which is a pain.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2014,
The Flying V has a Gibson 500T which is a high output pickup and I can't really see any gain by going through the hassle of routing for a battery, changing the pots and installing a new input jack just to have some EMG's in it.

What is it that you don't like about the 500T and like more about the EMG's?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by samuel-hepfer
It doesnt come with the 500Ts it has burstbuckers which I really dont like.

What is your amp?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Okay.

I've pretty much already answered your question then. The short answer is no. There isn't a much easier way to replace the battery without removing the bridge. Or at least bending the pick guard out of the way.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2014,
Pretty sure they did one with a tremolo and EMG's as guitar of the month a couple of years ago...might find one used. Pretty sure the same with the Hammett, it's a custom shop so it was probably and still is really expensive .
Quote by luckotdraw
Pretty sure they did one with a tremolo and EMG's as guitar of the month a couple of years ago...might find one used. Pretty sure the same with the Hammett, it's a custom shop so it was probably and still is really expensive .

The all black EMG and Kahler equipped one this fellow is talking about is hanging on the wall at a local shop by me. It's something like $1900.
Last edited by Vlasco at Sep 29, 2014,
Quote by luckotdraw
Just buy the Kirk Hammet flying V...it comes with EMG's

It also comes with a $7000 price tag. Hideously expensive guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Lol wasn't sure of the price, I knew it would be expensive. I don't know why they don't release a standard V with EMGs.
Am I wrong in thinking EMG equals Metal? & if my thought is right I wonder why the Brandon Small Snow Falcon wasn't released with EMGs.
Quote by luckotdraw
Lol wasn't sure of the price, I knew it would be expensive. I don't know why they don't release a standard V with EMGs.

They used to. With Kahler bridges too.
Quote by luckotdraw
Am I wrong in thinking EMG equals Metal? & if my thought is right I wonder why the Brandon Small Snow Falcon wasn't released with EMGs.

EMG's (the standard 81/85) are very good high gain pickups, but they don't do a very wide range of tones all that well. They sound very compressed and their very high output causes amps to break up sooner. They cause amps to saturate in such a way that doesn't really lend itself to a whole lot of different sounds. You also cannot do coil tapping or coil splitting with standard 81/85 EMG's.

But really the more important thing you need to know is that pickups are a relatively small component of your final sound. A pickup change is never going to make a Marshall MG sound like a Duel Rectifier. In this day and age, with so many high gain amps on the market, high-output pickups aren't nearly as much needed as they used to be. The reason they existed in the first place was because amps 35 years ago generally didn't have a lot of gain compared to now. And the options guitarists had were to either throw half a dozen tubescreamers in front of it, or put super hot pickups in their guitars. You don't need to go to those lengths anymore.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 26, 2014,
no way in hell would i put EMG's in my 496r/500t Gibson Gothic V.

the 500t is a hell of a pickup. i even bought one used to put on my main LP that had the 498t. so much better.

and i don't think you could have burstbuckers, never seen them stock in a standard release gibson V

throw EMG's in something else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

and i don't think you could have burstbuckers, never seen them stock in a standard release gibson V

They come on the Flying V 120 and the Flying V history that were released this year.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Right, which means he needs to just get a different model. It's not exactly hard to find a V with the 500/496 set. The 2015 models don't have that option (what!?) but between craigslist and most decently sized guitar shops there should be plenty of V models from previous years still floating around, new and used.
I have little knowledge on this as I'm learning ,but if its more about amp today then wouldn't it be wise not to bother putting EMG's or paying out the ass for an Artist or Custom and go with said Snow Falcon that has 2 Burst Buckers? Not being an ass just an honest question.
^ Pickups definitely do make a difference. But the amp makes a bigger difference. You can't make a bad amp sound good by replacing the pickups. But you can make a decent guitar sound good through a good amp. Of course a better guitar is going to sound better through a good amp than a worse guitar will.

Also, I think the point people were trying to make was that you don't need EMGs today to get the br00tz because there are pretty high gain amps available. Of course if EMG sound is the sound TS is after, you won't get it with anything else. But maybe if TS wants the EMG sound he should buy a guitar that already comes with EMGs to avoid all the hassle.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by samuel-hepfer
I was thinking about getting a gibson v and I have a pair of EMGs that I was thinking about putting it in. But the guitar is all front routed (all wiring is on the pickguard) So I was wondering if it would be a pain to replace batteries from the EMGs because of that. Or is there an easier way to get to the inside without removing the entire bridge?

You will have to hide the battery under the pickguard.
As long as you don't leave your guitar plugged in the battery should last a while.
I don't know that I'd do it.. I would suggest selling the EMGs and buying some passive pickups for your V. Kirk Hammet has EMGs in his V and they sound sick but he's also a millionaire and has a full time guitar tech. Anything is possible it just depends on what concessions you're willing to deal with.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They come on the Flying V 120 and the Flying V history that were released this year.

sorry, i don't ever really look at new gear. if its something amazing it will pop up here.

have fun!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A good tech can build almost anything into your guitar.
Battery boxes are an ordinary modification and a piece of cake.

This is my guitar; it's obviously got a lot of non-standard Les Paul things going on. Bottom left is a battery box (it's not running active pickups) for one of the two 9V batteries that live in this guitar. And yes, I *know* it looks like a flippin' checkerboard back there.

Quote by luckotdraw

The clean tones are pretty average, but the high gain stuff it screams.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by dspellman
A good tech can build almost anything into your guitar.
Battery boxes are an ordinary modification and a piece of cake.

This is my guitar; it's obviously got a lot of non-standard Les Paul things going on. Bottom left is a battery box (it's not running active pickups) for one of the two 9V batteries that live in this guitar. And yes, I *know* it looks like a flippin' checkerboard back there.

Thats pretty intense how about a pic of the reverse side lol...