Hi UG Lovers,

I've been practicing finger picking lately and doing simple patterns like 6321323, but I've been having troubles with chord changes. This is a pretty long pattern, and sometimes I just want a chord in for like half the pattern before I change. It seems awkward to keep the pattern going as I change chords. Maybe this is just simply because of a lack of practice.

What would you do? Keep the pattern going as you change chords? Shorten the pattern for those chords? Other?

Thanks so much!
Do not stick strictly to patterns.

If you still want to practice them - play slow, very slow. Memorize finger movement and then try playing little faster until you're comfortable with chord changes.
The changes keep going regardless of what your picking fingers are doing, there is no break.

IMO, the main technique to learn is moving into those fretted notes of the new chord that will be picked first, not try and shift all four fingers at once.

Another trick is to shift is to use hammers-on, ragtime-style staggered timing and the like to allow more time for the chord changes.

Most important, however, is just a lot of practice until the whole thing gets properly wired into you brain with yours hands working together.
Quote by Tony Done
T. . . . Most important, however, is just a lot of practice until the whole thing gets properly wired into you brain with yours hands working together.

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

The more you practise, the faster and smoother the changes will become for you no matter what pattern you use.
Thanks guys. I've been practicing and it's already getting easier to change chords in the middle of a picking pattern!
Bass run-ups are always a great way to change chords.

Quote by Jfo's Jams
This is a pretty long pattern

I'd hardly call 7 notes a "pretty long pattern" but that's just me.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.