Hi guys,

I've had some problem with the INPUT plug on my VOX Nighttrain AMP (some problem with contact and jack inside) so the signal was bad. Than I tried to use FX Return as the input to plug here guitar cable directly and found very good sound in that case. Does it possible to usew FX return as the input and that the main function of thisinput ?

Thank you for help,

James
You can use it if you plug in some multifx that can buffer and amplify the signal. The best for cheapest would be the Zoom g1on @ $50. You will totally bypass the preamp gain tones and will need to use the Zoom's distortion or amp models to compensate.
^ I would advise against that, 'cause you bought an amp for the pre as well, so I'd say it's worth to clean or substitute the input jack or doing whatever it takes to fix it, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, it's doable and if you gotta do it you may as well (and you'd better) use a mfx processor between the guitar and the amp as suggested.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
but alternatively could the FX return be used just as the alternative for the input if something wrong with the latter ?)
my the problem in my case (noisy sound when guitar is plugged by the input but good sound if guitar is connected to the fx return) be directly assosiated with the problems with the pre-amp?
Also I've noticed that problem exists only during first 10-30 minutes when amp has been turned ON (while lams has not been fully heated).
Last edited by James Starlight at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by James Starlight
my the problem in my case (noisy sound when guitar is plugged by the input but good sound if guitar is connected to the fx return) be directly assosiated with the problems with the pre-amp?
Maybe one of your pre tubes has just gone bad.
Quote by James Starlight
btw does the different multi-processor like VOX tonelab of boss GT should also plug to the FX return?
If you're skipping the preamp you're skipping the biggest part of the tone shaping of your amp, so to give your guitar a more common guitar-like sound it'd be best to use a pre simulation from an fx processor.

Also impedance matching problems of all sorts, though if it works for you fine you and you're perfectly happy with it, who are we to tell you not to go with it?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you just fix the input jack? Should be a simple replacement, if you bring it to a shop...

Not a costly one either. It's just a jack.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
initially I also think that the problem in the cable because when I change it position and tension the sound become better but I just buy new cable and it was the same story- looks like the problem with the input on the amp. And as I told previously no such problem using fx loop.

James