Hello,

I'd like to start by saying sorry if this is in the wrong place. If it is, maybe admin could put it where it should be? Also I am very new to this forum and am still learning how to use it !

Anyway, I really need some help from a friendly guitar player in the South Wales area, as close to Cwmbran as possible.

I've only been playing for 8 months and I'm finding it almost impossible to find good help. one teacher said he'd book me in after Xmas, then said no in Jan. The next teacher just took my money and taught me nothing with no structure to the 'lessons'. I then booked into a council run guitar class that turned out to be a total waste of time as the class was too mixed, too large, the teacher had an attitue and some of the attendees had ulterior motives that was getting in the way of my learning! I even asked the teacher for private lessons, but he just kept letting me down by not answering my booking texts and then cancelling me all together!

So as you can see, I have tried to go the paying way, with no luck. My nephew is a very good player of the music I like, and was helping me. But he had a car crash last week and broke his neck !!! He'll be OK, but will take months to fix.

In short, my question is, is there anybody out there that can help me to play guitar, paying or otherwise? I like Black Sabbath and the heavyer side of music, but happy to just learn how to play. I'm a 44 year old bloke with my own transport and happy to travel. I work from home so can attend any times that don't clash with the school run!

It would be nice if I could find a 'playing buddy' or group of people that could teach me on an informal basis that would be doing it to help, rather than cold hard cash. I have no problem in paying for lessons if that's what's needed, but it would be nice if I was learning while the teacher is earning !!

Can anybody help? as Youtube riffs are getting 'old' !

Many thanks.

Rob.
Just find someone to jam with and learn from the internet or wherever. The most important thing is to find someone you can play with and learn from each other.
Look for open jams in your area. That's a good place to meet other musicians.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
How can I find out where open jams are?
I'm new to music and it's all a bit alien to me at the moment.
there's loads of lessons online if you google, its becoming more and more common to be self-taught. this site has a whole section dedicated to just lessons which is a good start
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Have a look around for a music shop and ask if they do lessons or have a contact number for lessons.
After a quick google I found sound wave music, which is in cwmbran, so maybe start there?
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
On line is inpersonal,
I don't go to pubs (not my thing)
I've been to soundwave and they were the ones that put me onto the guy that dumpped me after Xmas before even starting.

Surly there must be some guys out there willing to help. Online learning is lonely and a bit sad. You can't bounce off a computer, well you can, but you'll bust it !!!!!!
Im a little bit far too far unfortunately for regular playing. (Just outside Carmarthen). Surely there must be some people in your area. Come on guys!!
I used to go to this guy, Justin Beynon who lives in Aberdare. Though that's a fair few miles from Cwmbran. I've no idea what is number is but I can send you a link to his FaceBook profile if you're interested.
Still looking for somebody to play with guy's.
Anybody out there in South Wales?
It's been over 2 years now, getting awfully lonely and hard on my own !
I found a Great teacher that I get on well with. Been with him for over 18 months, but he can't help with somebody to play with locally
Last edited by sunbeam.ti at Jul 30, 2016,
Bumping a two year old thread and also having the thread in the wrong section?

2 for 2. Pretty impressive.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sunbeam is a very cute name, I like it

Also nice bump
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Bumping a two year old thread and also having the thread in the wrong section?

2 for 2. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by sunbeam.ti at Jul 30, 2016,
North Wales represent.

Honestly, I don't like pubs and the drinking scene at all either but I found the best way to meet other people who play is to go to open mic events. Find your local place that often hosts one and just sit in on an event, you don't have to actually play. Then you need to make the jump and go and talk to some of the people that play and ask them if they'd be up for jamming at some point.

Thanks to the uni the open mic scene in Bangor is pretty good despite it being a small place, but that works in its favour again since lots of players in a tiny city, I haven't really ventured to any open mic nights in Wrexham, it's a bigger place but still should be places hosting open mic. As for Cwmbran it is a small place and not a uni town so yeah I get that it might be more rare to find a place. Consider travelling around till you find a place though.

And yes you will come into contact with those that are very good at what they do and they're very aware that they're good and you can feel the superiority leaking from them as they act nice around you in person when you approach them but then totally ignore you otherwise. And believe me, there has been many times where I've spoken to people interested in jamming and setting up a band where nothing has happened from it, just keep moving on to different people.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Yes, I think it's going to be hard, if not impossible to find somebody as rubbish as me to play with locally
If you can play a few basic chords comfortably, play a few notes for lead then that is pretty much all it takes to be a fun jam partner.

I'm by no means a good player but I've jammed with people who need a lot of guidance to get anything started and sure it would be more productive for the team if you didn't have to explain every little detail so the other person understands what to do, but it definitely does feel good to be helping someone learn to get better. Some people learn things in completely different ways to you too so where you might be generally capable of doing more with the guitar, you can still learn new tricks from someone who isn't as capable, because they think differently to you.

And trust me, being able to spontaneously jam on the spot with someone is an art of its own. It takes a lot of practice to get it nice and tight. That's why I avoid jamming with people in public because while I can get through a song I've learned and practiced, improvising on the spot is likely to not go well until my ear gets better. Nobody is expecting you to be able to improvise something remotely good on the spot first time. So don't feel under the pressure to.

TL;DR: Get out there and ask and you will find people willing.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Still looking for somebody to play with guy's.
Anybody out there in South Wales?
It's been over 2 years now, getting awfully lonely and hard on my own !
I found a Great teacher that I get on well with. Been with him for over 18 months, but he can't help with somebody to play with locally

there

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/

go

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Hey Welsh people.....just an observation...would a few more vowels in your town's names be too much to ask?

To OP: good luck man, been there. Maybe you should put an ad in Craigslist asking if anybody wants to jam?
TobusRex

Llanfairfwchawff

Quote by metal4eva_22
Thanks Guys,

I'll look on that site EndTheRapture51, thank you.

A huge THANKS to you Nero Galon.
Last edited by sunbeam.ti at Aug 2, 2016,