Hello,

I'm thinking of replacing my 8 month old Roland Cube 20GX (bought new) with a Marshall DSL15C.

Simple question really, should I ?

I don't really use the affects on the cube and I have a seperate tuner. Just clean and overdrive is all I use and I just love the Marshall look

But the Marshall is a whole heap of cash and I don't know if it would be worth it for me. I've only been learning for 8 months. I have a Schecter Blackjack, awesome guitar

Thanks,
Rob.
What is your budget?
location?
home or gig?
is used OK?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am happy to pay the new asking price of the Marshall (about £460)

I live in South Wales,

Home.

I'd rather new.
Jet City JCA 2212 combo would be better than the DSL (it does the marshall sound pretty decent) if you wanted to keep a combo.

You can get a JCA 22h head and a 2x12 cab with V30's for your budget and that will alow you to just buy a different head down the road if you want
JCA 22h 191.54GBP www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

Harley Bento G212 vintage 153.07 GBP www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

That leaves you with a little left over to sped however you want. A tube screamer or clone is a great thing to have with a tube amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Thank you for that info.

Are you sugesting Marshall are over priced for what you get?

Kinda Used they are a much better value

But don't get me wrong I own a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and it is a very nice amp, but the newer DSL series has not impressed me.

But I was also suggesting what I did because of the sound quality. That head would probably be useable in a band situation (if that time comes) and that cab can be used at home or live, has some good speakers and is an insane deal in Europe.

The cab could be used later on if you want a different amp all you do is buy a head and you still have a good sounding cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 24, 2014,
These are good points to consider, thank you

how good would the sound quality be compared to my Cube?
Quote by sunbeam.ti
These are good points to consider, thank you

how good would the sound quality be compared to my Cube?

Do you have decent external speakrs on your PC?
This is a demo of the 22h with decent sound quality. I don't know if he is using V30's but you can hear pretty much what the setup I linked you sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4vcBinczA&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The DSL series is fine but can't you kick it up to the 40 watter? That way you can get to a band situation without it being an issue.

The DSL15 is fine but the reason the newer don't sound as good is the fact that they moved production to China. Check the Laney range, being in England you can probably get a deal from the used section.

Might want to look up Ashdown Fallen Angel in used ads too, they were popular for the Marshall on a budget crowd.
I was told the 40 watt was to big to use in the house where I'll be using it mainly. I was told turning it right down would kill the sound? So the 15 watt would be better? but would it be better than my 20 watt CUBE?
+1 jet city

i haven't tried the newer dsl. the old ones were pretty good though (except some of the early ones overheated i think... cathbard will know better exactly which ones to avoid).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sunbeam.ti
I was told the 40 watt was to big to use in the house where I'll be using it mainly. I was told turning it right down would kill the sound? So the 15 watt would be better? but would it be better than my 20 watt CUBE?

Even a 5w tube amp would be loud for home use at its highest settings. Having said that, you can check out the Blackstar HT-5R combo or head. It does a decent Marshall od sound. I'd skip over the 1w version due to lack of features. If you want an amp you can eventually gig with I second the JCA-22H. You'll be able to use it at home too but only at low volumes just like the DSL15. Any of those would be an improvement in sound over the cube. Nothing wrong with that amp though. It's great when you're leaving to play but the sound is nothing special when you put it up against almost any tube amp.

Edit: I wasn't aware the 40w DSL can be cut to 20. That would actually be better than the JCA for gigs due to more headroom if you want sparkling cleans.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Sep 24, 2014,
+1 on Jet City. Got mine today. I'm in love.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by evening_crow
Even a 5w tube amp would be loud for home use at its highest settings.

Agreed. Even 1 watt, really.

If you're that concerned about the tone dying from turning way down then you need power scaling, VVR or similar, not lower wattage. Buying a 15 watter for home use and expecting to be able to crank it more than a 40 watter is a bit like not buying a ferrari because it'll do 200mph and then buying a porsche which will do 150mph because you're concerned you won't get to push them with the 70mph speed limit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave is this car cool?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i dunno, the numberplate seems to be on backwards
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it is a Nobel, and that was taken in the USA which is 180 from where you are
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?