Guys, I need some help. I have a basement studio and have been trying to record our bands tunes. I have had success recording vocals, bass, drums, they all sound acceptable, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get a decent rhythm tone. I've mic'd different cabs, I've thrown 6 different mics at it.... 57, 58, 906, I5, and so on..... I want to just back up and start over because I'm missing something somewhere. I tried a Marshall JCM 2000 and a Line 6 Spider Valve HD, maybe these amps aren't good for recording? I have a good treated room, I've moved mic's around every conceivable way, read Slipperman's notes, you name it. My chain is guitar, (TS-9 if I need it) amp, cab, mic, (tried tube pre as well), 003 rack, pro tools 10. The sound I'm going for would be a common modern rock sound, Bullet for my Valentine, Lacuna Coil, Red, those type sounds. Everything so far has lacked meat, definition, has no clarity etc.... just is not acceptable. I've experimented with eq with no success....... So for the sake that maybe I'm over saturating my room with sound let's say I want to start over with and amp... on a budget.... let's say amp wise I want a small 20 watt head, maybe something similar to a Jet City JCA22H or equivalent, I think the guitars we have are decent, but I'm not a guitarist so I just have to record what they are using, but they are high dollar guitars. I'm rambling, but what is your opinion the Jet City amp? I would like to try a smaller amp for experimenting, and what could I be missing in the way I'm trying to record these things? Is there some plugs in pro tools that would give it more beef? Thanks for your time.
That was painful to read, next time please use paragraphs.
Quote by 1GoVols1
but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get a decent rhythm tone.
How are you not satisfied with your tone?
Be very specific or post a clip.
Quote by 1GoVols1
I've mic'd different cabs
You may have used bad sounding cabs.
What did you use?
Quote by 1GoVols1
I tried a Marshall JCM 2000 and a Line 6 Spider Valve HD, maybe these amps aren't good for recording?
No such thing as "good enough for recording".
Why do you take it that something has to sound good not only to sound good in a finished recording, but also to be recorded in general?

Anyway the marshall is a DSL or TSL?
I'd say a boosted DSL with the right cab might work.

I wouldn't use a spider.
The advantage of it is digital modeling, so if you want that you might as well save yourself the hassle of programming and recording the thing and go for a good software amp sim.
Quote by 1GoVols1
I have a good treated room
How?
Quote by 1GoVols1
Everything so far has lacked meat, definition, has no clarity etc....
Meat means next to nothing, clarity isn't the strong point of any of these two amps (nor of the amps BFMV and LC use for that matter), and definition has the same meaning as clarity as far as I'm concerned.

So again, you may either wanna be more specific or post a clip.
Quote by 1GoVols1
I've experimented with eq with no success...
Amp EQ or post recording EQ?

Also, can you achieve the sound you want in real life?
Or come fairly close to it?
Quote by 1GoVols1
So for the sake that maybe I'm over saturating my room with sound
First of all, the result of that would be a lot of reverb, and in a good treated room that wouldn't happen.
If you can call that "saturation the room with sound" to begin with...

Second, you're close mic'ing a cab with a cardiod mic ffs, even a lot of reverb wouldn't affect your recorded sound much.
Quote by 1GoVols1
let's say I want to start over with and amp... on a budget...
That likely is unnecessary.
Quote by 1GoVols1
let's say amp wise I want a small 20 watt head
Any reason why apart from the fact that you've read somewhere on the internet that smaller amps are "recording amps"?

'cause that's bs marketing spiel.
Quote by 1GoVols1
I think the guitars we have are decent, but I'm not a guitarist so I just have to record what they are using, but they are high dollar guitars.
If you have nice humbucking p/ups the guitars are fine.
Quote by 1GoVols1
I'm rambling, but what is your opinion the Jet City amp?
They sound very good for the money imo.

They don't sound much like LC and they don't sound like BFMV though.
Quote by 1GoVols1
what could I be missing in the way I'm trying to record these things?
It may be a variety of things.

You may not be good at dialing in tones, you may not be good with mic placement, you may not be double tracking the guitar part, you may be using bad cabs, your playing may be sloppy, you might not be good at mixing, and some other stuff.

That's the reason why an audio clip would help.
Quote by 1GoVols1
Is there some plugs in pro tools that would give it more beef?
An EQ.

Also being good at mixing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.