I'm looking for a cheap seven string, for less than $400 AUD. I'm also hoping to try active pickups, but I don't know if I can get them at this price. Does anyone know if this is possible?
IF you were in the US I'd say Agile. Otherwise I don;t think you're getting EMGs or Blackouts stock sub-$400. That being said I recommend the Ibanez RG7321 or 7421. Quality guitars at that pricepoint.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I don't know what the market is like down under, but if Schecters are priced comparable to the US, you can get an Omen 7 for $350. They're solid guitars for the price point. Don't have active pickups, but Schecter's stock pickups are not bad.
Quote by the_bi99man
I don't know what the market is like down under, but if Schecters are priced comparable to the US, you can get an Omen 7 for $350. They're solid guitars for the price point. Don't have active pickups, but Schecter's stock pickups are not bad.

Thanks, they seem like a pretty good guitar (the scale length is pretty appealing) but we get gouged for prices. A standard Omen 7 is $500, and its $650 for the active version.
Quote by auzzietaco
I'm also hoping to try active pickups, but I don't know if I can get them at this price.

Not at $400, you're not. That is, if you want a good guitar with decent electronics.

Honestly, I think you need to save up a bit more. At $700+, you have much better options.
Quote by auzzietaco
Thanks, they seem like a pretty good guitar (the scale length is pretty appealing) but we get gouged for prices. A standard Omen 7 is $500, and its $650 for the active version.

Oo. Yeah, that's a bit steep. Still, depending on what else is available, it might be a good choice. You're almost certainly not going to get active pickups in your price range. Like sam said, you should probably try to wait and save a bit more. Or, just get something you can afford now, making sure it's comfortable to play, then upgrade the pickups later.
Schecter's Demon 7 has actives, they're a cheaper version of Blackouts but they're seriously decent, although it's slightly more expensive than an Omen so might be still out of your budget. Generally saving a bit more money sounds reasonable here if you'd like actives, I don't think you'll find anything cheaper with actives and I can seriously recommend the Demon.
What does the used market look like? What amp are you playing through?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
What does the used market look like? What amp are you playing through?

The used market is pretty barren, and my amp is a Fender G-DEC sim amp (it's ok, probably not the best).
$400 seems pretty limiting here. I'm thinking eBay is the way to go. Some ideas:

New B.C. Rich 7-string super strat with high output pickups for Au $420. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/B-C-Rich-Villain-Escape-7-7-String-Electric-Guitar-Black-/301281697344?pt=Guitar&hash=item4625c9de40

Looks like Ibanez Gio 7 Strings are also in budget but with passives.

Neither of these 2 guitars generally scream quality either.

You can always add the actives yourself later on - Used EMG 707 set for AU $80 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Guitar-EMG-707-PICKUPS-PAIR-HARNESS-7-STRING-/141418277112?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item20ed2fa8f8

Depending on the sound you want, your amp may be holding you back anyway. At least with my Peavey Vypyr you really couldn't tell much of a difference between EMG81 and Duncan JB for the "metal" settings.

If there is a store nearby just take your amp with you and see if you can tell the difference between active or passive pickups - that may steer you in the immediate direction of what to purchase next.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .