I just moved to a town where i know not a single soul. Gonna go play at the first open mic night i find to make some friends and band mates. Need songs.
easy listening and fun songs please! Also, share your open mic night experiences!

The only song i have is Marcy Playground - sex and candy, will learn some more later, have been slapping drums for the longest time so i dont pick up the guitar often.
Fancy by Iggy Azalea obviously. Once you finish it everyone will see you for the literate and mature musician you are and you'll have friends in no time.
I do not know 'fun' songs. The only songs I know are sad songs.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Gin blossoms- hey jealousy
Counting crows- mr jones
sublime- santeria
violent femmes- blister in the sun
goo goo dolls- slide
more 90s stuff...
Play tomb of the mutilated in full
or last one on earth
or reign in blood

Or Quadrophenia

Or make sum siiiccc wubz
KIFFLOM
I've never played an open mic, but when I'm with friends, I play songs that allow everyone to sing along, because that's when we have most fun. I can play to impress them and stroke my ego, but everyone has the most fun when everyone's involved. Is it the same with open mics?
Frank Zappa - Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by That Old Geezer
Fancy by Iggy Azalea obviously. Once you finish it everyone will see you for the literate and mature musician you are and you'll have friends in no time.

first things first i'm a realist (realist)

something something something something
red sovine - either teddy bear or here it is christmas
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
play skrillex and turn down for what
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Baby Joel
I do not know 'fun' songs. The only songs I know are sad songs.

All of life is sad therefore all people are sad therefore all musicians are sad therefore all songs are sad.

Very sad really.
The Presidents of The United States of America - Lump
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by BigBrownBeaver
I just moved to a town where i know not a single soul. Gonna go play at the first open mic night i find to make some friends and band mates. Need songs.
easy listening and fun songs please! Also, share your open mic night experiences!

The only song i have is Marcy Playground - sex and candy, will learn some more later, have been slapping drums for the longest time so i dont pick up the guitar often.

play your own songs?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Go for fairly easy songs that are also pretty popular. Maybe; "Bohemian Like You" Dandy Warhols, or "Chasing Cars" Snow Patrol.....................but don't be suprised if the others playing are a bit up themselves. From personal experience, open mics are very cliquey. Hard to break into the circle. We played them, and basically didn't care what anyone else there thought. Went down a scream too.
In my experience, most of the other people at open mics are those sad old blues guys who you want to make a donation to. I've always played literally whatever I felt like playing and disregarded the unspoken rules. If you want to get a couple girlfriends and impress some other musicians, learn to sing and play The General by Dispatch really well.
Quote by PUNKROCKANARCHY
In my experience, most of the other people at open mics are those sad old blues guys who you want to make a donation to. I've always played literally whatever I felt like playing and disregarded the unspoken rules. If you want to get a couple girlfriends and impress some other musicians, learn to sing and play The General by Dispatch really well.

haha the few times ive played open mic its been exactly like that. old blues guys who are eager to prove they are fantastic
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
The great thing about open mics is that you don't need a huge setlist. Learn two or three songs and go up and try them out. Then learn a couple more and play them a few weeks later. You can even repeat songs from week to week, because there will be different people listening. Think of it as an opportunity to practice playing in front of people and to try out new songs, not as a concert you are giving that has to be flawless.

Also, don't try to collect tips until you get to the point where you think you have something special to offer. To me, open mics are about experimenting, practicing and finding out what people will respond to, not about making money. If you get to the point where you're being asked to play for 30 minutes to an hour at a time, then you can put out a tip jar or something.
Quote by PUNKROCKANARCHY
If you want to get a couple girlfriends and impress some other musicians, learn to sing and play The General by Dispatch really well.
Hell I'amma do this next time.
Open night, official gig, whatever.
I'm thinking organizing a whole gig only to play this song.

Then in my experience, play stuff that's known but not that known, and not modern pop stuff.
Then decide what to play exactly judging from who's there.

You may wanna play zombie by the cranberry's if you wanna have everybody sing with you, you may wanna play a song from the el dorado soundtrack by elton john if you see any piano men there, you may wanna play jonny cash's hurt if you see depressed old men...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Subways - Mary
The Vines - Ride
Jet - Look What You've Done
The White Stripes - Hotel Yorba
The Fratellis - Whistle for the Choir

All I can think of right now, but those are simply and poppy. Fun for the crowd if you're looking upbeat.