i was thinking does it really matter????
if you have a multi effects processor can you play Pink Floyd kinda songs on an metal guitar like Dean ml
Quote by hkgokul
i was thinking does it really matter????
if you have a multi effects processor can you play Pink Floyd kinda songs on an metal guitar like Dean ml

It's all about the amp, a Multi effects processor on it's own would sound really, really, really meh. Unless it's an Axe FX2 or an Eleven Rack or something like that.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
It's all about the amp, a Multi effects processor on it's own would sound really, really, really meh. Unless it's an Axe FX2 or an Eleven Rack or something like that.

Thanks

which is a good amp to get tone of anything from nickelback to pantera
Quote by hkgokul
Thanks

That's like comparing Apples to Oranges unless we know more.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
That's like comparing Apples to Oranges unless we know more.

Eleven rack is awesome! that was just what i was looking for!! thanks fish
generally i'd put a fairly hot pickup in the bridge position for the metulz with a lower output pickup in the neck position for the blues.

after that it's (more or less) amp/cabinet and effects.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
generally i'd put a fairly hot pickup in the bridge position for the metulz with a lower output pickup in the neck position for the blues.

Listen to Dave.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Dave_Mc

can i put dimebucker in bridge and pearly gates in neck ???
would that be okay for a mahogany body guitar?
Last edited by hkgokul at Sep 25, 2014,
Guitars aren't as genre-specific as amps are. You may not want EMGs for your blues guitar. But almost anything will work for almost any genre if you have the right amp. It's more about which pickup type you prefer when it comes to guitars. Though if you want to play metal, I would suggest humbuckers. Or maybe a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the middle and/or neck (if you like the sound of single coil pickups - and if not, just buy humbuckers). Les Pauls, SGs, Strats, Flying Vs... They are all used in both metal and blues.

I would say a multi FX processor will just make you sound worse. Also, effects are effects. You can't really make your Strat sound like a Les Paul with multi FX processor. An EQ pedal would get you close. But adding a chorus or a flanger to a BC Rich guitar isn't going to make it more bluesy. What you need is good quality amp modeling, good quality amps or good quality distortion/overdrive pedals. Use your clean channel and have two different distortion pedals - one for blues and one for metal. An EQ pedal could also help.

So do you already have a Dean ML or are you considering buying one? I don't know if you should change pickups now. I mean, first look at your amp. You can also lower your pickups to lower their output. You may not even need new pickups.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by hkgokul
can i put dimebucker in bridge and pearly gates in neck ???
would that be okay for a mahogany body guitar?

yeah i don't see why not.

a lot of people aren't too fussed on the dimebucker, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There is no such thing as a "metal guitar". Any guitar can play any kind of music. It depends on the player and the amps and effects.

TC: Based on this, and your other thread, I'm getting the impression that you have no experience with a guitar, but you're excited to get into it. That's a good thing. But you need to slow down and just try out some guitars. You're asking about things that don't matter, and trying to get objective answers to subjective questions. Just go to the store, try out some guitars, and buy whatever looks cool to you and plays comfortably. What kind of sound you get out of it will depend almost entirely on what amp you use. For the guitar, just make sure to get something with humbucker pickups, as you clearly want to play harder rock and metal styles.
Quote by the_bi99man
There is no such thing as a "metal guitar". Any guitar can play any kind of music. It depends on the player and the amps and effects.

TC: Based on this, and your other thread, I'm getting the impression that you have no experience with a guitar, but you're excited to get into it. That's a good thing. But you need to slow down and just try out some guitars. You're asking about things that don't matter, and trying to get objective answers to subjective questions. Just go to the store, try out some guitars, and buy whatever looks cool to you and plays comfortably. What kind of sound you get out of it will depend almost entirely on what amp you use. For the guitar, just make sure to get something with humbucker pickups, as you clearly want to play harder rock and metal styles.

This.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by hkgokul
Thanks

Nickelback sucks and pantera had a less than stellar tone

peavey Vypyr tube if your on a budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by the_bi99man

TC: Based on this, and your other thread, I'm getting the impression that you have no experience with a guitar, but you're excited to get into it.

Pretty much yeah. And by reading lots the last night, i decided to go with Schecter Blackjack and Eleven Rack

now i need an amp...
Quote by hkgokul
Eleven rack is awesome! that was just what i was looking for!! thanks fish

It also costs $1300...so...you're better off getting a $1300 amp. Assuming you even have that kind of cash.

Quote by hkgokul
Pretty much yeah. And by reading lots the last night, i decided to go with Schecter Blackjack and Eleven Rack

Or you could ditch the Eleven Rack and see my above comment.
A metal guitar can't play blues because it's an inanimate object.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by hkgokul

now i need an amp...

Whoa there.

The Schecter's fine (there's a wide range of Schecter Blackjacks, so you get to narrow that down a bit).

The Eleven Rack is probably fine, too, except that for the last couple of years, it seems to have become a "dead" product, with little support and no upgrade path likely. It was originally designed as a companion to Pro Tools; at this point if you're not specifically using Pro Tools, you might want to rethink. I'd suggest a Line 6 Pod (HD, 500X, Pro) on one end of the spectrum, and something like an Axe-FX or the Kemper on the expensive end. The Eleven Rack was interesting when it came out, less so now. With the Axe-FX, the Kemper and the 11R, you additionally need some kind of foot pedal. The Pods have the Shortboard/Express pedals readily available and fairly inexpensively, while the HD500X *is* a foot pedal with the electronics built in.

But with this under your belt, you don't *also* need a traditional guitar amp. All you really need is something like a powered speaker with a wide range and fairly flat frequency response (PA speaker/monitor or the like). All of the preamps -- the 11R, the Pod, the Axe, the Kemper -- have everything you need to play anywhere except a power amp and a full-range speaker. Fact is, if you have one of the previously mentioned preamp setups, you really only need headphones if you're playing in an apartment for now.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 26, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Whoa there.

The Schecter's fine (there's a wide range of Schecter Blackjacks, so you get to narrow that down a bit).

The Eleven Rack is probably fine, too, except that for the last couple of years, it seems to have become a "dead" product, with little support and no upgrade path likely. It was originally designed as a companion to Pro Tools; at this point if you're not specifically using Pro Tools, you might want to rethink. I'd suggest a Line 6 Pod (HD, 500X, Pro) on one end of the spectrum, and something like an Axe-FX or the Kemper on the expensive end. The Eleven Rack was interesting when it came out, less so now. With the Axe-FX, the Kemper and the 11R, you additionally need some kind of foot pedal. The Pods have the Shortboard/Express pedals readily available and fairly inexpensively, while the HD500X *is* a foot pedal with the electronics built in.

But with this under your belt, you don't *also* need a traditional guitar amp. All you really need is something like a powered speaker with a wide range and fairly flat frequency response (PA speaker/monitor or the like). All of the preamps -- the 11R, the Pod, the Axe, the Kemper -- have everything you need to play anywhere except a power amp and a full-range speaker. Fact is, if you have one of the previously mentioned preamp setups, you really only need headphones if you're playing in an apartment for now.

Thanks
Quote by the_bi99man
(a) There is no such thing as a "metal guitar". Any guitar can play any kind of music. It depends on the player and the amps and effects.

(b) TC: Based on this, and your other thread, I'm getting the impression that you have no experience with a guitar, but you're excited to get into it. That's a good thing. But you need to slow down and just try out some guitars. You're asking about things that don't matter, and trying to get objective answers to subjective questions. Just go to the store, try out some guitars, and buy whatever looks cool to you and plays comfortably. What kind of sound you get out of it will depend almost entirely on what amp you use. For the guitar, just make sure to get something with humbucker pickups, as you clearly want to play harder rock and metal styles.

(a) I disagree. There are definitely instruments which are more aimed towards certain styles of music than others. I'd rather use an (equivalent quality) Ibanez RG, Jackson, ESP etc. for metal than a jazzbox, rickenbacker or even a vintage-spec strat or telecaster, for example.

(b) agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hkgokul

now i need an amp...

A Schecter Blackjack is a great choice of guitar, which will be pretty much perfect for what you're going for. As for the Eleven Rack... If you actually have that kind of money to throw around, you would be much better off, as a beginner, just getting a good amp.
Quote by the_bi99man
A Schecter Blackjack is a great choice of guitar, which will be pretty much perfect for what you're going for. As for the Eleven Rack... If you actually have that kind of money to throw around, you would be much better off, as a beginner, just getting a good amp.

+1

Ditching the Eleven Rack and going for a small Tube combo (6505+) and a multieffects unit like a rack Pod would be a good idea.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100