This is a kinda pointless thread because the obvious answer is "play what you want in whatever tuning/key you want" but I just wanted to hear what other people thought.
A few days ago, I was thinking about tunings.
Why not play jazz in B standard? Why play punk in E/drop D when you can play in Drop C/ F standard? Totla Mad tuning is a great idea for Country and rockabilly!

Basically, my thought is this; Is there any upper/lower limit for tuning for any particular genre? Why not play Meshuggah covers in Drop D?

srs questchun.
Quote by CorrosionMedia

Basically, my thought is this; Is there any upper/lower limit for tuning for any particular genre? .

No.

Quote by CorrosionMedia

Why not play jazz in B standard?

There are people who are doing that. Charlie Hunter plays a custom built guitar that features eight strings, the three lowest strings being bass strings and the remaining five being guitar strings.

George Van Eps plays a sevenstring in standard tuning. Also jimmy bruno and pat metheny have used extended range guitars for lower tunings.

Some country players occasionally use baritone guitars to achive a lower sound but still have that tightness, they often use this to double the part of the bass on a guitar.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
People play whatever tuning they like and feel most comfortable in. E standard is what pretty much every player ever learns with in the beginning which is why it's the most common. I play C# standard for instance because it's my favourite tuning. I just like how it sounds and that's pretty much that. There's no divine mystery as to why people play in certain tunings.
Hi I just started out playing in dropped tunings and need to learn how to play a metal song of a band I just joined it's very hard to figure out the song by ear since it's in dropped b is there anyone who can help me with this?
Quote by marcelsmit18
Hi I just started out playing in dropped tunings and need to learn how to play a metal song of a band I just joined it's very hard to figure out the song by ear since it's in dropped b is there anyone who can help me with this?

Put your guitar in drop B and then learn it by ear the way you would usually learn by ear?
Quote by marcelsmit18

http://www.ronimusic.com/

Get the Amazing Slow Downer. It is a fantastic tool.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Sep 25, 2014,