Hi dear UG members!! I’ve previously posted here about a recording interface but unfortunately I couldn’t purchase due to some of my personal problems. But anyway I’ve again come up with some money and this time hopefully I’ll able to purchase it. But few queries popped up in my head before I make any move.

• The interface I’ve decided to purchase is Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I know this yields better result in basic home recording than Line6 UX2 which is a bit cheaper option, but I’ve heard complaints regarding UX2 like driver issues and it randomly stops responding/functioning while recording etc. Does Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 have anything similar to that? I’ll be using it on a Windows 8 installed computer.

• Apart from recoding guitar, is it possible to use this interface for practicing/general playing purpose while it is connected to the computer? I know it sounds really weird, but to this day I still can’t play guitar through my amp loudly (not extremely loud as it would blow off the roof) because people of my home get disturbed.

So I always have to keep the volume low while playing and besides my amp is a generic practice amp that sounds just okay which is kind of demotivating for me not getting good tone out of it. So is it possible to do this? Will this be harmful for the interface?

• I do not have any studio monitors, but can I connect multimedia speakers to the Scarlett 2i4?
Quote by stranger_23
Does Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 have anything similar to that? I’ll be using it on a Windows 8 installed computer.
No known problems with drivers of the 2i4.
Quote by stranger_23
part from recoding guitar, is it possible to use this interface for practicing/general playing purpose while it is connected to the computer?
It will work even if it's not recording, but what do you wanna do exactly?

If you wanna use amp sims or similar without recording, you can do that, yeah.
Quote by stranger_23
I do not have any studio monitors, but can I connect multimedia speakers to the Scarlett 2i4?
Yes you can.

Apart from that all, you may wanna check out the mackie onyx blackjack and the roland duo capture ex before buying the 2i4.
They kinda sound better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
It will work even if it's not recording, but what do you wanna do exactly?
If you wanna use amp sims or similar without recording, you can do that, yeah.
Yes you can.

You got that right, I wanted to know that without any recording process going on will I be able to play through the interface with amp simulation or not. If I can connect multimedia speaker to the interface, then how do I do it? One way of doing this popped in my mind is, I'll connect the speaker to the 3.5mm headphone port of the 2i4 for which I'll need a converter. Can you tell me the name of that? Is my idea even right?

Quote by Spambot_2
Apart from that all, you may wanna check out the mackie onyx blackjack and the roland duo capture ex before buying the 2i4.They kinda sound better.

Thanks for the suggestion, I need to check whether the local music stores have them or not.
Quote by stranger_23
You got that right, I wanted to know that without any recording process going on will I be able to play through the interface with amp simulation or not.
That's called input monitoring.
You can do that with anything.
Quote by stranger_23
If I can connect multimedia speaker to the interface, then how do I do it?
Depends on the speakers you're thinking about and what inputs they have.
Quote by stranger_23
One way of doing this popped in my mind is, I'll connect the speaker to the 3.5mm headphone port of the 2i4 for which I'll need a converter. Can you tell me the name of that? Is my idea even right?
Your idea would work bad.

See, speakers of that kind are designed to receive a line signal, so you gotta connect the line outputs to the speakers.

To do that you need a female TRS jack to two male TS jacks, with the tips of the two TS connected to the tip and ring of the TRS.
Much like an insert cable but with a female TRS instead of a male one.

I don't think you'll easily find one - it will probably be easier for you to make one yourself.

Then you may as well try and connect the thing to the headphones output if you can't find/make that cable I described, though you may overload the speaker's input and get a distorted signal.

If you wanna try that, you just need a 1/4" male jack to 3,5mm female jack adapter.
They are easy to find wherever you look.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The 2i4 hasn't got a 3.5mm jack, just 2 mono 6.5's on the back and a stereo 6.5 on the front (as well as two pairs of RCA outs on the back too). You could either find/make a stereo 3.5mm (assuming that's what your speakers use, most computer/mm ones do) to dual mono 6.5mm adapter (hard), or you could get a 3.5mm stereo to 6.5mm stereo adapter (easy) and use the headphone port.

And before anyone screams "it's not designed for that" the headphone and speaker ports on a computer are identical, so I don't see why this would be any different to plugging speakers into the PC headphone port.
Quote by chatterbox272
And before anyone screams "it's not designed for that" the headphone and speaker ports on a computer are identical, so I don't see why this would be any different to plugging speakers into the PC headphone port.
And as we all know and preach, stock computer sound cards are the archetype of what is good and what is designed good and so on.

The difference lays in the specs - line signals are far higher impedance than line levels, and usually lower voltage.
You can usually plug speakers into a headphones output and have a working setup, but if you plug a pair of headphones into a line output you'll not get a good result in any case.

So, yeah, the thing might work, but it's not the case of going around saying line outs and headphones outs are interchangeable.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
No it's not, but most computer speaker sets are designed to use a headphone out rather than a line out so it makes sense to continue using them that way.
Quote by chatterbox272
most computer speaker sets are designed to use a headphone out rather than a line out
No active speaker is designed to be used with a headphones output, 'cause an active speaker doesn't expect a signal that strong, and no passive speaker is designed to be used with a headphones output because to drive even a high efficiency near field speaker you need more current than that.

As I wrote before, they will likely work fine with a headphones output IF the headphones output is powerful enough, but it's not ideal in any case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by chatterbox272
The 2i4 hasn't got a 3.5mm jack....

Thanks for the advice, I was actually talking about the headphone port of the device, (I always thought that it is called 3.5mm port) but anyway I thought with some sort of converter I could connect my multimedia speaker's 3 cables that go into the line in of PC's line-in port of built-in sound card with an auxiliary connector (I don't know the correct term, I received it with my computer, sorry for my ignorance). I guess for the time being I'll be using my headphone.

Quote by Spambot_2
And as we all know and preach, stock computer sound....

Thanks for the advice. I actually don't understand many of the terminologies or the recording/sound engineering jargon you used, I'm totally new in this world and hoping to learn something about it.

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Just one last thing before I purchase the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4; I'll check the alternatives that Luca stated at first but if in case I don't find any of these should I be waiting for them to be available again in the stores or are there some other good alternatives in the same price range that I should take a look at? Unfortunately online shopping isn't an option for me right now.
Quote by stranger_23
I always thought that it is called 3.5mm port

Sorta, it's to do with the size of it. The ones on your mp3 player, computer, etc. are 3.5mm sockets. Those take standard headphones that you can buy anywhere. The one on the front of the 2i4 is a 6.5mm (well IIRC 6.25mm actually, but same thing) which is a far larger socket, the same as used in a guitar cable. For these you need an adapter if you want to use regular headphones.

What are the plugs on your multimedia speakers? is it the RCA ones (red/white)? because there's two sets of those on the back of the 2i4 already so you won't need an adapter.
Quote by stranger_23
I'll check the alternatives that Luca stated at first but if in case I don't find any of these should I be waiting for them to be available again in the stores or are there some other good alternatives in the same price range that I should take a look at?
I would say waiting for them would pay off.

If you need something now though I can't really think of any better sounding stuff for the same money.
Quote by chatterbox272
The one on the front of the 2i4 is a 6.5mm (well IIRC 6.25mm actually, but same thing)
They're two different standards.
Officially, 3.5mm for the small one and 1/4" (6.35mm) for the big one.
Quote by chatterbox272
For these you need an adapter if you want to use regular headphones.
If anything, I'd say the "standard" ones would be the ones with the 1/4" jack, even if they aren't more common nowadays.

Well just a consideration, in the end I guess it doesn't make any difference
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by chatterbox272
What are the plugs on your multimedia speakers?

These are the exact same three plugs of my multimedia speaker that are connected to my PC. And about the headphone, I only have a regular headphone which won't be compatible with the Scarlett 2i4 without the 3.5mm Male to 6.25mm Female Adapter Connector. Can I get one from the music stores.
Quote by Spambot_2
I would say waiting for them would pay off.

Thank you.
I use some cheap powered 3pc speakers out of the headphone jack on the front of the 2i4. works like a charm. The adapter is extremely common and probably available at radioshack or walmart

of course when recording thru my sm57 I use headphones in the headphone jack