I'm gonna be starting up on recording my first solo album soon. I want to be able to monitor my guitar through my actual guitar amp while sending the clean DI to my interface as to negate any of the possible latency that might occur from live monitoring. And simply because I just prefer playing through my amp, though it's tiny speaker makes it unsuitable for micing up.

I'm just wondering what kind of box is it that I actually need to properly split the signal without messing up the guitars tonality?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 25, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
I want to be able to monitor my guitar through my actual guitar amp while sending the clean DI to my interface as to negate any of the possible latency that might occur from live monitoring.
Next investment from you is better gonna be a better computer.

You can just use an ABY cable for that anyway.

If you're worried about your signal's strength and your audio interface has hardware/direct monitoring then try connecting the direct output to the amp.

If you have a small interface that will be a headphones output and it may overdrive your amp's input section, which depending on what you wanna do may be bearable.
If that doesn't work get a cheap reamping box and connect that to the hardware/direct headphones output - not ideal but will work if the DI box is half decent.

Though if you have an interface that gives you the option of sending a near zero latency signal out of a line out than use that, and if that doesn't work as well then get the reamping box.

Edit: also since you're here, how about updating the interfaces sticky since nobody edited nor commented on the google document in more than a week?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Sep 25, 2014,
My computer is pretty high spec, I'd just rather monitor through my amp so that the self-depreciative anxiety ridden part of me isn't constantly worrying about it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
A small buffer like a micro amp or whatever may be necessary if you use a split cable. The Morley ABY should have a buffer built in, though. Just something to be aware of, since you don't want a weak guitar signal going into your interface OR amp.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I own a Morley ABY box, and I notice a tiny bit of lesser signal. But not a significant amount. You should be all right.
Any ABY box should do fine, otherwise you could go a passive DI box. Run the XLR from the DI to the interface and then run the instrument out to your amp. I like that way better personally, but not for any particular reason, that's just how I've done things and will continue to do things until someone proves to me there's a noticeable advantage from doing it another way.
If it was me, I'd go with a DI box, but use a good one by the likes of Radial or something. As much as I don't mind some Behringer (and similar) stuff, I can say that the difference between a cheap DI and a good one is night and day.

Guitar to DI box, and then 1/4" out from DI box to amp, and XLR out from DI to the recorder.

I find that AB/Y boxes do, generally, compromise the signal flow when in Y mode.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.