Poll: Indians in space?
Poll Options
View poll results: Indians in space?
Good idea. Space flight is a sign of progress
24 51%
Bad idea. They're getting ahead of themselves.
7 15%
Option 3
16 34%
Voters: 47.
Lol they are gonna open a call center

Lol they thought mars is covered in curry powder

Lol they wanted to open up a new 7-11 before anyone else

Now that that's out of the way, read this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/india-is-the-first-asian-nation-to-touch-mars-orbit-joins-elite-global-space-club/2014/09/23/b6bc6992-a432-4f1e-87ad-5d6fc4da3460_story.html

An interesting question has been raised concerning this event. Should a country with the kind of rampant poverty, disease, and starvation that receives billions in foreign aid have a space program? The two main arguments I've come across are:

A space program and missions to other planets are inspirational to younger generations and will encourage Indians to succeed in science, mathematics, and research, which will help lift the country out of poverty.

India's money and aid would be better spent creating infrastructure, education, and social programs to combat poverty and ignorance. Go to space after you fix up your country here on earth.

I tend support the space program. They flew this mission for less than the cost of an average Hollywood movie. I don't think the money and energy spent on the program would do nearly as much good in other areas. I read that it cost every Indian (of which there are many) only like 15 cents to launch the orbiter.

What do you think?
Check out my band Disturbed
yeah isn't the budget less than went on Gravity lol

hang tight space tho it's cool up there
Quote by behind_you
That money isn't gonna reach the people who need it the most anyways

This is basically how I feel on most issues like this. I'd rather see it go towards space exploration than into the pockets of people who don't need it. There is no way for any of us to tell how the money would or would not have been spent anyway.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
This is basically how I feel on most issues like this. I'd rather see it go towards space exploration than into the pockets of people who don't need it. There is no way for any of us to tell how the money would or would not have been spent anyway.

dude money trickles down, it's proven science. the best thing we can do is lower taxes on the rich and subsidize mansions
As far as spacecraft go, an unmanned probe that's probably as complicated as a glorified putnik orbiting rather than landing isn't that expensive.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
As far as spacecraft go, an unmanned probe that's probably as complicated as a glorified putnik orbiting rather than landing isn't that expensive.

but the intelligence, planning, and organization required are probably comparable and India lacks the history and many resources NASA has
They can do whatever the hell they want as long as they're not getting aid money from the US.

...they're getting aid money from the US, aren't they?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
picked option 3 because this is an interesting thread but i don't have the energy to commit any thought to it
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Xiaoxi
They can do whatever the hell they want as long as they're not getting aid money from the US.

...they're getting aid money from the US, aren't they?

Lol who doesn't?
I don't know. They need to fix all that shit but at the same time it's still progress.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

Somewhat related.

I think space exploration is important, but I think that poverty is of much bigger concern. I still think that space exploration should continue to be funded especially in cases like this where the benefits outweigh the costs. There are other, more wasteful things that could be cut to alleviate poverty, and poverty (especially in India) is way too complex to be solved by not funding a space mission.
This might be somewhat similar to how we keep throwing shit into space but know so little about our oceans.

We really love space.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
India faces many issues obviously, but when you can achieve such a milestone as a country with such little funding, why not? It's a testament to the ability and determination of what they want to accomplish. I'm happy for them. Hopefully it has the same unifying affect for them the moon landing had for the US.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by BladeSlinger
This might be somewhat similar to how we keep throwing shit into space but know so little about our oceans.

We really love space.

We know more about our oceans than we ever will about space. There are places in the universe so far away that the light hasn't had enough time in the 13.8 billion years since the big bang to even reach us. Sit on that for a moment
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 26, 2014,
Quote by StewieSwan
We know more about our oceans than we ever will about space. There are places in the universe so far away that the light hasn't had enough time in the 13.8 billion years since the big bang to even reach us. Sit on that for a moment

but what if we just haven't opened our mind enough so the light doesn't have room

Yea, space is pretty awesome. But we've only been exploring space for a number of decades and all that shit is super far away. The ocean is right here.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
but what if we just haven't opened our mind enough so the light doesn't have room

Yea, space is pretty awesome. But we've only been exploring space for a number of decades and all that shit is super far away. The ocean is right here.

The ocean doesn't force you to re-evaluate your understanding of natural laws :420: :tyson:
Quote by StewieSwan

There's also a red-dot joke to be made.
Quote by Rossenrot
There's also a red-dot joke to be made.

I will not take part in your casual racism, Rossenrot.
Quote by StewieSwan

Now that that's out of the way...
awww i didnt even get to make a crack about elephants.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Will Mars be for the lowest or highest castes?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!