Hello people,

i have an ibanez s-420 and i have a weird problem with scratchy noise. So i plug my guitar in the amp at the clean channel, and when i touch with my finger the selector at the middle or at the neck position, a scratchy noise occurs. But not always! most of the times. The weird is that when i touch the selector at the bridge, or second or fourth position no scratchy sound from the amp! When the amp is on full gain, no scratcy noise.

I tried contact cleaner with no results.

Any suggestions please?
Does the switch look like it has a pcb on it?

If that's the case, it's a cheap switch and substituting it with a good switch will solve your problem.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i think all the switches have a pcb on it. before i substitute it i would like to know whats the problem with 2 of 5 positions
Piss it off and buy an Oak & Grigsby or something of similar quality.
The problem is probably just filth and corruption but if it's a cheap switch just get rid of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok i ll think about it, but the guitar is new, about months. cheap switches from ibanez? anyway tnx for your answer!
The weakest part of Ibanez has always been the electronics.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by endtropi
i think all the switches have a pcb on it.
Nope.
Cheap switch - http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/copperheadroads/Ibby_5-way_zps055410f1.jpg
Expensive switch - http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/parts/images/guitar-electronic-replacement-parts/21.jpg
Quote by endtropi
ok i ll think about it, but the guitar is new, about months. cheap switches from ibanez? anyway tnx for your answer!
Yeah that's the problem.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
interesting explanation about switches. Do you think is a bad solder on connections and if i resolder them, for the moment will fix my problem?
Quote by Cathbard
Piss it off and buy an Oak & Grigsby or something of similar quality.
The problem is probably just filth and corruption but if it's a cheap switch just get rid of it.

Quite.
Quote by endtropi

Been keeping it on a stand subject to the sea breezes?
Been sweating all over it and not wiping it down?
Eh, wot?

It's a poor workman what don't take care of his tools, now innit?
Quote by dspellman
Been keeping it on a stand subject to the sea breezes?
Been sweating all over it and not wiping it down?
Eh, wot?

It's a poor workman what don't take care of his tools, now innit?

sorry? what is poor workman? sea breazes? what are you talking about?
Quote by endtropi
Do you think is a bad solder on connections and if i resolder them, for the moment will fix my problem?
No.

The switch's the problem and to solve the problem you need a new switch.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
No.

The switch's the problem and to solve the problem you need a new switch.

you sound pretty sure. I dont doubt you, but how can you be so sure? cause i have to do a lot of work with the solder iron in order to change the switch
Quote by endtropi
you sound pretty sure. I dont doubt you, but how can you be so sure?
'cause I've had cheap switches under my hands in different occasion and your problem sound just like it's coming from it.

Also if the problem was the contact with other wires, then the problem would be very unlikely to repeat itself in the same manner every time, and would much more likely come and go randomly, or the thing would not work at all.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by diabolical
Contact cleaners is fairly generic.

Anyway, Ibanez (at least mine) comneswith a little plastic cap over a standard 5 way switch, I replaced it with generic from the local store, all is well.

you mean the cap which holds the switch with the 2 screws? what's wrong with the plastic and caused you the scrathies?