I bought a mahogany plywood board yesterday from a local toolshop to start building a guitar cab. it was the only wood they had and there isnt really anywhere else to buy wood in my area. the thing is that when I brought it home, I took a real good look at it and saw that it has alot of voids that I can see along the edge of the panel. the voids seem to be around 2-4mm each. Ive read this contributes to rattling in a cab. just how much of a concern should void-related rattling be?

Another thing i want to ask about is the plies. the board is 5 plies and is 1/2". Again, it was the only wood they sold and the only place I could buy for a few dozen miles. I think it looks strong enough to hold 2 speakers and an amp head on top. but again, the question of the voids rattling comes up. Does the number of plies have anything to do with the amount of rattling?

Im thinking of returning it tommorow if it the fellows here deem it "crap". I looked into buying 3/4 baltic birch boards, but those are supper expensive. I bought this mahogany crap board at $50 for 4'x8' which I could use for other projects aside from the cab. baltic birch boards online have less quantity, much higher costs, and ridiculous shipping to Puerto Rico($70-$100).

Since Im on a schedule, I have to get this done by nov 7. So what do you say UG, keep the crap board or empty my pockets on quality boards? Im getting this done to present at university, so my main concern is it not rattling like a tincan on that day, I can build a decent cab later.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The number of plies has nothing to do with rattling. Ideally, you want to have voidless plywood, but the best way to check for rattling is to just bang on it with your fist <G>. You'll find 'em.

1/2" ply would ordinarily be considered a bit thin for a solid 2x12, but there are ways around that. Bass players are now building modern cabinets out of 1/2", and those things have to be stiff or the "oilcanning" would just rob power at those low frequencies. So what they've been doing is putting together a bracing structure. It keeps the cabinet light, increases stiffness, eliminates nasty resonances, etc.

And an *extreme* example:

Construction on these cabinets doesn't use any fancy corner or edge setups, and they're mostly GLUED together (Loctite Premium PL is the #1 choice) with a few brads to assist. Rent a bunch of big furniture clamps to hold everything in place while the stuff dries, and wipe the excess (it expands).

Quote by dspellman
The number of plies has nothing to do with rattling. Ideally, you want to have voidless plywood, but the best way to check for rattling is to just bang on it with your fist <G>. You'll find 'em.

1/2" ply would ordinarily be considered a bit thin for a solid 2x12, but there are ways around that. Bass players are now building modern cabinets out of 1/2", and those things have to be stiff or the "oilcanning" would just rob power at those low frequencies. So what they've been doing is putting together a bracing structure. It keeps the cabinet light, increases stiffness, eliminates nasty resonances, etc.

And an *extreme* example:

Construction on these cabinets doesn't use any fancy corner or edge setups, and they're mostly GLUED together (Loctite Premium PL is the #1 choice) with a few brads to assist. Rent a bunch of big furniture clamps to hold everything in place while the stuff dries, and wipe the excess (it expands).

Re-posted that over at TDPRI.