OMG OMG OMG...Opeth!! I haven't listened to any band other than Opeth for six months straight. They are my favourite band. I love their debut album about ghosts. I bought the T-shirt at hot topic and have worn it for three months straight. It is my lucky shirt and me mum wants to wash it but I just say 'fukk you mum" and don't let her because it is my lucky shirt lel.
I think Stu Block is a fine example of a new breed of metal vocalists. I love the way he combines gutturals and shrieks with the siren wails. I'm not too keen on the newer Iced Earth stuff, but I still enjoy them because you get to see a different side of Stu that was not in Into Eternity. He really is a fantastic vocalist, and he is a nice bridge between Barlow's baritone and Ripper Owens falsettos. Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQ4ZR-NI6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4nlKBzPig
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Sep 26, 2014,
I only have one thing to say about Opeth: Where is Peter Lindgren when you need him?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
What would you guys say the best album is? I don't listen to them too intensely but am a huge fan of Blackwater Park. I've heard some other albums that seem rather similar in style to each other, but Blackwater sounds kind of like the odd one of the bunch, yet it's my favorite.
The "Opeth Fellation Thread" had me praising BWP all over it. Still think it's one of the best albums put down yet. Title song is dope. In fact, ima bust that shit right now.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Ashaal
What would you guys say the best album is? I don't listen to them too intensely but am a huge fan of Blackwater Park. I've heard some other albums that seem rather similar in style to each other, but Blackwater sounds kind of like the odd one of the bunch, yet it's my favorite.

For me, it's a toss-up between My Arms Your Hearse and Ghost Reveries. Everything before Heritage has some amazing moments (and long moments, I might add).

The irony with Opeth, in my mind, is that they stopped being progressive as soon as Michael decided to turn it into a 'prog' band. They created their own sound which was amazing to hear for the first time -- those first 8 albums changed my viewpoint of what metal can be. Sadly, they have abandoned what made them unique and great. I'm glad I got to see them in the Peter Lindgren/Martin Lopez era.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Ashaal

Ghost Reveries is definitive Opeth for me. Doesn't get any better than that.
Quote by KailM

The irony with Opeth, in my mind, is that they stopped being progressive as soon as Michael decided to turn it into a 'prog' band.

Boom. Quoted for mother****ing truth.
Quote by Ashaal
What would you guys say the best album is?

You could make a solid case for any album recorded with the Mike-Peter-Mendez-Lopez lineup.

Still Life- although MAYH was a great album, SL showed a quantum leap in songwriting and dynamics. MAYH had a great mood to it, but I think it lacks a "band" feel to it and I can hear how things were changing in the ranks. SL marks the first record with Mendez and the bass performance on that record is significantly better than MAYH. The intro =on The Moor is an absolutely gorgeous and mesmerizing piece of music and when the distortion breaks the song open, there's just no going back... you're hooked. later on you get more beautiful acoustic numbers in Benighted and Face of Melinda and just crushing tunes like Serenity Painted Death.

BWP- with Steven Wilson at the helm Opeth was free to use more production techniques, but I think the reason for the praise on this album is that the music became more balanced with the vocals. I think with the previous records the musicianship was primary and vocals were an afterthought, whereas w/ BWP and beyond music&vocals were equally important. I also feel like this is the album that sticks to everyone because it's the first time they really did any touring so it was the first time many people were able to experience this music.

Deliverance- I think this is their most overlooked album, mainly because it focuses on the brutal side of Opeth's music, and I know many people feel that "brutal death metal" is not Opeth's strong suit. They certainly struggled with getting this album recorded, which I think comes through the speakers... but I think it's fitting for a "death metal" album. It shouldn't be easy. The title track really stands out for me. The lyrics take an artful approach on murdering someone with lines like, "In liquid cellophane, gasping for air/Mercy in my eyes is the shade of the night" or "Your memory is nothing but the scars on me."

Damnation- this is another album that turned a lot of people on to Opeth, "OMG a metal band doing a non-metal album! I <3 Opeth!" I just listened to Damnation yesterday and it's truly a great album, but I've always felt it missing something... the "heavy distortion" dynamics that were always a part of their sound. My feeling about this was reaffirmed with the last 2 albums. I still like them well enough, but they are clearly missing something and ultimately leaves the listener wishing for more.

...and finally, Ghost Reveries. This album is truly incredible... for the most part. They prepared well for this record, everyone was ready and it just sounds amazing. The disc contains some of Opeth's best material ever, namely Ghost of Perdition, Beneath the Mire, and what might be their all-time greatest song, Reverie/Harlequin Forest. Unfortunately, the clean passages of Atonement and Hours of Wealth seem to be the album's weakness. The heavy music is it's strength, but the aforementioned songs sound a little undercooked (especially Atonement) and may have been leftover ideas from from the Deliverance & Damnation sessions.

TL;DR: Still Life, Deliverance, and the heavy songs on Ghost Reveries are my favorites.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Sep 30, 2014,