I love watching good movies about rock bands. I think I have seen most of what is out there but if anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear it so I can look for them.

There are several films that immediately come to my mind that I can watch over and over. Here's my Top 5.

1. Still Crazy-Not only very funny but has lots of real sounding situations and a great song "All Over The World".

2. Rockstar-You have to admit that everytime it's on the tube (which is often) you always watch some part of it. The music is great.

3. Spinal Tap-So real it hurts.

4. Sid and Nancy - An addictive film about an additcted guy. Gary Oldman is incredible.

5. Hard Days Night- No description needed.

Got any others to share?
Attachments:
still crazy.jpg
rockstar.jpg
Personal favorite: "The Commitments"

An Irish band covering a bunch of 60s R&B. It is the story of trials and tribulations of nearly any rock band with some pretty sweet grooves if you like that era.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
- School Of Rock;
- Last Days (2005);
- Solanin (2010);
- Beck (2010);
- Once (2006);
- Walk Hard;
- Airheads;
- Wayne's World 1 & 2;
- Eddie and the Cruisers 1 & 2;
- Hard Core Logo;
- Six-String Samurai;
- What We Do Is Secret;
- Rock Of Ages;
- Crazy Heart;
- Losers Take All.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
El Mariachi, or to a lesser extent, Desperado?
I thought "That Thing You Do" was pretty good, too. Gave a neat look into the ultra sleazy record companies of the 50's.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I have to spank myself for not including The Commitments". That may be the best of the bunch. I also agree with "That Thing You Do". A bit of advice on that film. There is an extended directors cut of that film that is much longer and brings up more indepth story lines on parts of the movie and it elaborates on some scenes that didn't make much sense in the theatrical version. Good choices. As is "Walk Hard" a film that more musicians should see. It covers every era of rock music and is very funny.

As for Eddie and The Cruisers I like "Eddie Lives (Eddie and the Cruisers Part 2)" better than the first. It is much closer to the original story in the book but both miss the book's original story line. In the book Eddie is dead, no question about it. That's not a spoiler, the book opens early on with descriptions of Eddie's funeral and who did and didn't show up. Another angle they left out was that Eddie was married!!
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 26, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74
I also agree with "That Thing You Do". A bit of advice on that film. There is an extended directors cut of that film that is much longer and brings up more indepth story lines on parts of the movie and it elaborates on some scenes that didn't make much sense in the theatrical version.

Gonna have to check that out. It's been a long time since I have seen the movie anyway.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Also:
Muscle Shoals (story of studio musicians in Alabama)
Ray
The Doors
The Blues Brothers
Walk the line
The Runaways
The Wrecking Crew (story of studio musicians in LA)
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I love School of Rock, Almost Famous, That Thing You Do, Hysteria and of course I love La Bamba (not kidding).
Some good recomendations here and a number of them that I haven't seen like Airheads and Hysteria (never heard of that one). I also forgot "The Temptations" (which is so overplayed on VH1 that it must be on at least twice a month) and "Standing in the Shadows of Motown-Funk Bothers".
A few I have seen but didn't enjoy were "Crazy Heart" and "Rock of Ages" both of which I had to force myself to even finish watching but that may be just me or the way the wind was blowing on that day.
Thanks everyone. Now I have a few things to look for.
Almost Famous, Ray and The Doors are some of my faves. The Buddy Holly Story is great, La Bamba. That thing you do is good too, although a fictitious band.
Although about a folk music(Woody Guthrie) not rock, "Bound for Glory" is an excellent movie that gives you insight to life and the music industry during the great depression.
My favorite is Pink FLoyd's The Wall. I love that movie and animation in it is absolutely amazing.
It Might Get Loud
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Crossroads, Yo!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread but The Blues Brothers has some very rock and roll moments. Yeah, there's some sketchy moments with the dance numbers and whatnot but there are some damn fine rock and roll moments where attitude and state of mind are concerned.
The Blues brothers
The Doors
Control
Good Morning England
Interstella 5555
More
Tommy
But my alltime favorite: The Wall