Looking into buying a new guitar and have narrowed it down to either a ESP m-1000 or schecter hellraiser extreme. both have EMGs and Floyd rose and have a maple fretboard. Ive never played a schecter and own a low model ESP mh, Which one should I go with?
Both are awesome axes! Try both if you can in store. I'd go for the LTD for the slimmer neck and looks Its a toss up though, pick whichever feels better in your hands.
I've played both. I own an ESP Eclipse II. That should tell you my choice.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Please don't refer to LTD's as ESP's. It's misleading.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Tom 1.0
Opel vs Vauxhall.

Seeing as how I'm American it would be Ford vs. Chevrolet for me.

But both are good guitars, however I'm a bigger fan of LTD than Schecter.
The companies are owned by the same people and these particular guitars are both made at World Musical Instruments in South Korea, as far as I understand.

I believe there may be a small difference in specs between these guitars, like for example a slight difference in neck profile. Ltd usually describes their neck shapes as "Thin U" whereas Schecter uses "Thin C".

I own a Schecter Blackjack ATX V-1, and it is an excellent guitar. Impeccable qualitywise. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I own a schecter lady luck C1 diamond series and a LTD MH400NT, both very well built (pretty sure they could be from the same factory)

If the Schecter you're looking at is similar to the 1000 (ive played one in the past) then its a tough call. Play both and see which you like more.

Personally i'd grab the LTD.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I'd go for the Schecter. I like the look of a Hellraiser more than M-series LTD.

I also have found many ESP or ESP/LTD guitars be opposing to my tastes, especially the necks. Something about that contour that just doesn't do it for me.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

They are both made at the same factory in South Korea.
I think you're splitting hairs with this one. Pick the specs you like best and buy one..
Quote by shooter.556
I think you're splitting hairs with this one. Pick the specs you like best and buy one..

This is true. Play the shit out of both of them at the store, and pick which one fits better. Personally, I'd go Schecter, because I love Schecters, and the Hellraiser Extremes are neck-thru, which is sweet.
Play both - preferably the 2 you would actually purchase- and see which feels better. If you can't play them buy the one you think is prettier if they both have specs you want.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Play both - preferably the 2 you would actually purchase- and see which feels better. If you can't play them buy the one you think is prettier if they both have specs you want.

+1
I appreciate all the advice, and they both are almost the exact same guitar just different name and neck profile, ill just have to try em out!
Quote by shooter.556

So are some Epiphones, what's your point?

Schecters and LTDs don't feel super alike for the most part. LTDs have a thinner neck than the Schecters (it's certainly got softer shoulders and a flatter back).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
So are some Epiphones, what's your point?

Schecters and LTDs don't feel super alike for the most part. LTDs have a thinner neck than the Schecters (it's certainly got softer shoulders and a flatter back).

What Epiphones are made at World Musical Instruments? PRS SE's and Chapman Guitars are, but I wasn't aware Epiphone make any guitars in Korea presently. They used to make them at Samick though. (And they do not have any guitars close to these two.)

His and my point is that there shouldn't be any quality differences, logically. I pointed out that there were some small difference in specs, as did he, as you say about the necks. But really they are as similar as two guitars from different branding can be without being exactly the same guitar.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
It's interesting actually, Gary Holt from Exodus and Slayer recently switched from Schecter to ESP. I don't know if he did because of the money or he really preferred ESP guitars, this just happened like 10 days ago. I bet Kirk Hammett had fingers in this... And recently more and more people joined ESP guitars (Johan from Amon Amarth and few others) Personally I love ESP guitars, Absolutely love the LTD line. Both ESP and Schecter are amazing you should really try both.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by HomerSGR
What Epiphones are made at World Musical Instruments? PRS SE's and Chapman Guitars are, but I wasn't aware Epiphone make any guitars in Korea presently. They used to make them at Samick though. (And they do not have any guitars close to these two.)

His and my point is that there shouldn't be any quality differences, logically. I pointed out that there were some small difference in specs, as did he, as you say about the necks. But really they are as similar as two guitars from different branding can be without being exactly the same guitar.

True from a manufacturing standpoint... That said, I've played some dud Schecters and I've never played a dud LTD. I wonder if there's some QC differences Stateside?

And as far as I'm aware Epiphone as of a couple years ago still had a few Les Paul Ultras made in Korea. Seems to have changed since. Not sure they ever used World though (I believe they were just Samick/Unsung/Cort).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The neck of my C-1 Classic isn't overly comfortable (unless a person likes the thicker neck that is supposedly typical of Schecters).

I like the guitar for its build quality and hardware, but it just doesn't have an inviting response as far as playability.
Last edited by Dodeka at Sep 27, 2014,