Poll: how many pedals do you actually use?
Poll Options
View poll results: how many pedals do you actually use?
none. guitar and amp
3 6%
none, multi fx/rack/modeling
6 13%
3 6%
2-3
13 28%
4 9%
3 6%
6-8
9 19%
9-11
2 4%
12+
4 9%
I play accoustic.
0 0%
Voters: 47.
I was just thinking about this while reading the forum. Some of here have decent size collections of pedals and I only really ever use like 5 at a given time so. Gg&a how many pedals do you actually use?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I make use of all of them at one time or another.
Rarely do I have more than 3 on at the same time unless I'm going for something really weird.
Do tuners count?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lately, I've been keeping my reverb (I keep it subtle), compressor (found a quiet one, also kept subtle) and Soul Food on all the time. Then I'll sometimes use tremolo and often use this weird, fuzzy, overdrive type pedal I picked up called the Fat Driver (not ehx). My Rat and Muff clones and delay have been neglected since I picked up the Fat Driver, its boost/od/fuzz in one acid etched wooden box.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The only thing on my board I rarely/never use out of the seven I have is my wah. It's practically a $100 paperweight, because I can't find any practical, musical use for it. It could be the one piece of my gear I would consider regrettable, but it is fun to toy with it every once in a while, so I guess it wasn't a total waste. My EQ is always on, the OD and noise suppressor on half of the time, the delay and looper get their moments.

The tuner is used pretty much every time I take the amp off standby, but I almost never have to adjust unless I change strings.
I have two full flap-top bins (I think they're 11 gallons capacity, the CostCo type) packed tight with FX pedals accumulated over time, and a third has been started. I do so less, these days, but I've been known to walk over to used displays in stores and snag a couple at a time, particularly if I've always wanted to try them but was unwilling to pay the mind-numbing new prices.

Mostly, however, I now use whatever's in a Pod HD or Axe-FX Ultra, with only occasional forays into the bins for something specific. I don't get rid of them; some of what's in the bins has become "vintage" through no fault of my own, and worth silly money. While it pains me to buy new, with all the air in new pricing, it would hurt even more to pay vintage nonsense prices for something I once owned and got rid of at a pittance. Thus, I hoard.
Speaking of New Prices -- add up the new prices of your pedalboard, and include the pedals you own but that aren't ON that pedal board.

Tell us what that figure is.
Quote by chrismendiola
The only thing on my board I rarely/never use out of the seven I have is my wah. It's practically a $100 paperweight, because I can't find any practical, musical use for it. It could be the one piece of my gear I would consider regrettable, but it is fun to toy with it every once in a while, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

I don't use the thing much as a wah, but I do use it as a parked wah. It's a great selection of tones, even if the pedal rocker isn't moving. I actually got to a point with it where I have one incorporated into a guitar. It's a Chandler Tone-X, and it's an active sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB) on a push-pull. http://www.chandlerguitars.com/electronics.html
Quote by dspellman
I don't use the thing much as a wah, but I do use it as a parked wah. It's a great selection of tones, even if the pedal rocker isn't moving. I actually got to a point with it where I have one incorporated into a guitar. It's a Chandler Tone-X, and it's an active sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB) on a push-pull. http://www.chandlerguitars.com/electronics.html

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
Speaking of New Prices -- add up the new prices of your pedalboard, and include the pedals you own but that aren't ON that pedal board.

I did that awhile back.
Was about $1,800 or so I think for what was on my board. Add another uhm...$200 - $300 for stuff that's in a closet or in some gnomes collection.
Now its minus the DD-7 and TL-2.
Of course I will put something else in those empty spots.
Maybe a Rat and another fuzz.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 27, 2014,
i used to use everything, had a huge board that i actively used. i was in a power trio then so i think that had something to do with it, used a bunch of effects to add variety

now i just pretty much go right into the amp, i can't even remember the last time i plugged in my wah.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I use 5 pedals on the board and periodically switch things in and out depending on need. I use the wah as a sweep on maybe 2 songs per night but the cocked wah is useful as a tone control or mid boost.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Total new value of the pedals on my board is $1638. I use everything on my board. I sell pedals that don't satisfy me. I don't go through them that much, because i do tons of research before I buy, and I almost always am happy with my choices.

There's only a few pedals I have that I'm not using - Boss Bass EQ, Boss HM-2, and Boss CS-3. And an Ibanez TS7, forgot about that one. The HM-2 and TS7 I'm saving for posterity and because their value has increased way beyond what I paid for them. Same situation someone else mentioned above. I haven't decided if I want to get rid of the CS-3 or not. Most likely yes. It's not a very good pedal. The Bass EQ is going toward the bass board that I'm building.

If it's on my board, I use it.

I like to make weird sounds and drone soundscapes.
Chain:
Boss TU-3 (Good pedal tuner with a good buffer)
MXR M77 (improved Boss SD-1)
Earthquaker Hoof (Muffy fuzz)
Earthquaker Organizer (Organ simulator)
BBE Mind Bender (Chorus/Vibrato for underwater sounds)
Moor Eleclady (Deluxe Electric Mistress clone for evil flange sounds)
Morley Little Alligator (linear taper for volume swells all day)
Line 6 M9 (delay, reverse delay, spring verb, octo verb, synth, tremolo)
Maxon CP9 Pro+ (****ing amazing limiter. Makes Boss and every other comp look like a toy.)
EHX Freeze (Bro do you even drone?)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 27, 2014,
Barber Tone Press (compressor)
Barber Trifecta (fuzz)
ISP Decimator G-String (noise supressor)
Maxon OD9 (overdrive)
Whirlwind Orange Box (phaser)
Ibanez FL-9 (flanger)
TC Electronics Spark Booster (clean boost)
Xotic BB Preamp (overdrive)

All of them rackmounted bc there's no way I could switch the right ones on and off at the same time. And I dont mess with the knobs when playing anyway.

Ernie Ball wah
Ernie Ball volume pedal
Rocktron expression pedal
Korg pitchblack tuner

All on my pedalboard along with my midi foot controller.

So 12... and I do use them all
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i have eight pedals on my board. i use each of them regularly.

Pics?
Tuner, od, od, usually a touch of vibe or delay.

Sometimes none or just a small boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman

Dan'o Fab Chorus $15
Dan'o Fish n Chips $30
Digidelay $100
Joyo AC Tone $30
AMT E1 $130
Mooer Shimverb $90
BBE AM-64 (currently unused) $30
So that totals to $425. I probably paid like half of that, they were all used except the chorus. If I remember correctly, it should be about $255, so a little more I guess. With my amp, it's $355. I think I did alright.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by 7thString
Pics?

yup.

went from a huge pedal collection to a small one. i've got pretty much every sound i want covered. and my RM100 helps a lot. blackface, plexi, and dual rec modules.
I use a basic floor MFX/Modeller into a keyboard amp.

Intend to go Axe Fx/11R into powered monitors at some point.

In terms of effects, I use the following frequently-

Boost/OD, Parametric EQ's, Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Compressors, Harmonizer.

Every now and then I use a flanger or a phaser, but infrequently enough that I wouldnt buy one if I were to switch to an pedalboard.
I have 7 actual pedals (compressor, wah, 3x drive, tuner & a clean boost) on my board. All get used at different times, if they didn't, they'd be removed.

I also have a Zoom G3 in my amp's loop. In various songs that gets used for chorus, reverb, phase, flange, delay and a looper effectively giving me 6 extra pedals.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I sued to have a board with about 15 pedals that were all on at a point in the setlist, but now I do all the same stuff through a Kemper, where I sometimes have 6 effects on at the same time. Gotta love effects, I guess...
Quote by dspellman

It seems practical for lead guitarists, but I'm a mid-scooper. I prefer mid-scooping, but I could see myself using it in that situation.
Quote by dspellman

$923
I have only EQ, compressor, screamer, chorus, phase and echo. I use the EQ for boost on leads mostly, sometimes modulation on cleaner tones, delay I hardly use but like it a lot with some lead stuff.
4. OD, EQ, Noise gate and tuner.

Damn Jet City hating pedals...
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I have a tuner, GFS greenie, bad Monkey, Bad horsie 2 and a MXR Smart gate.
Thinking about a TC electronics Alter Ego or Flashback. I really want the L6 M5 because of all the available FX, I don't use a lot of FX but I like to mess around

^
DaveMC has a list of the pedals people know work well with the Jet City's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 27, 2014,
Quote by dspellman

Without googling for actual prices, mine would be about £650ish I think. Also got about £200ish of retired pedals that I've been meaning to list on eBay.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I own about 200 euros in pedals (new prices) now that I've sold most of it off, before it was about 2400 euros.
Two signal processors - a distortion and a VCA compressor, and one isn't even a pedal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.