I have a coupon with Musicians Friend that expires next Thursday and I am thinking about using it on a Kemper.

I currently play a Peavey XXX and am not happy with the tone or the fact that it is loud and heavy as hell.

The Kemper I think would provide the best combination of tone, versatility and volume. Plus I can finally get into recording without having to purchase extra equipment.

My question is if this setup would work as I am not familiar with studio monitors, XLR output, etc.

Kemper Amp
JBL LSR308 Studio Monitors X 2
Spectraflex LoZ Microphone XLR cables

From what I can tell the JBLs are powered and would not require me to purchase the powered version of the Kemper.

EDIT: I don't plan on ever playing live so I don't see the need to power an actual guitar cabinet.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Sep 26, 2014,
Should be fine. At home I run modelers through a pair of KRK Rokit 8's (similar to the JBLs). I think they may be better thought out than the JBLs for the same bucks and worth a listen. There are "better" studio monitors if you want to get picky, but that's a cork-sniffing session that you're probably not prepared for yet.

You don't have to be fancy with the cables, honestly -- don't spend more money than you have to there. I did buy a pair of Ultimate Support MS 90 speaker stands for them. That *does* make a difference. http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/MS-90-36B Fill the big internal channel with sand and use the other two channels for cable management.

Be prepared to spend time with the Kemper. It's not quite as complex as the Axe-FX, but as with the Pods, you need to conquer the learning curve. There will be some great "aha!" moments along the way, but there will also definitely be some times that will try your patience.

You might also want to put $100 or so aside for some studio-quality headphones. The traditional ones are the Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280 and the Beyerdynamic 770s. Again, there may be better and there are certainly more expensive, but these will keep you solidly in the game and away from the "boom-box" DJ junk.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 27, 2014,
Yeah I have searched quite a bit for studio monitors and have seen just about everything mentioned without a single consensus on which monitors to get. Headphones seem to be in same boat; no standout option. I plan on getting headphones eventually but figured I get the monitors first.

I also decided on the Spectraflex's since I love their instrument cables.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Sep 27, 2014,
Quote by Sputnik1
Yeah I have searched quite a bit for studio monitors and have seen just about everything mentioned without a single consensus on which monitors to get. I plan on getting headphones eventually but figured I get the monitors first.

I also decided on the Spectraflex's since I love their instrument cables.

There you go, then.

I picked up the KRKs in part because I also play keyboards (Korg Kronos X), a little bass, and an iPod (well, iPhone, iPad, etc., as well). I'm not using them to mix recordings, so I don't have to sweat having dead-nuts neutral speakers, nor do I have to have speakers that fill in for different listening environments. I don't have a listening room with corner bass traps, etc. The KRKs sounded good, weren't boomy, were relatively neutral (or could be EQ'd there) and had decent clean bass response without requiring a sub. For reasonably good piano reproduction*, that made sense to me. The Kronos is picky -- it will not only accurately give you the differences between a German grand and a Japanese grand, but will also allow you to select just how much the lid is open (!).

The JBLs are bi-amped, but have the same amount of power going to the HF driver as to the LF driver (56W/56W). The KRKs have 75W for LF, 25W for HF, and most other studio monitors will have something like that going as well. It usually takes significantly more power to drive bass cleanly (a sub for either of those sets of monitors will probably be around 200W). So I usually expect a division of power more like that on the KRKs than that on the JBLs. That said, I should note that the QSC K12s ($800-900/each) have a setup that offers both HF and LF drivers the same power. Honestly, however, I think that's just because a symmetrical power amp might be less expensive than one that's designed specifically for the speakers.

I'm not promoting the KRKs over the JBLs. Just noting how I picked them. I was looking for "good enough" for what I was doing, and something within a reasonable budget as well.