I'm going off to uni in under a year and I plan on joining a band and gigging in clubs etc. I have a little practise combo for use in my room but as I'm in the process of having a custom guitar made I want to upgrade to some more serious fire power and a better quality sound. I'm not hugely bothered whether it's in combo or stack form but I would like an amp that have the punch to play in a good sized club but one that still has good tone at lower volumes. It's very important that it's versatile, I need a good warm clean tone for jazz passages in the prog stuff I play, a crunch with some bite for softer leads and delay sections, and some serious tight high gain tones with lots of body and depth for heavy rhythm sections and screaming leads. I listen to a wide spread of artists, Dream Theater, Scale the Summit, Periphery, Dorje, The Contortionist, Pat Metheny, Russian Circles... well you get the picture, loads of different styles. A footswitch is also ideal. I should also point out I'm willing to buy pedals to improve the quality of the tone (i.e. overdrives to tighten up distortion). My budget is between £1000-£1500, so far the Blackstar S1 series and the Marshall JVM series look very good but with so many makes and models out there it'd be great if people could suggest other options or point out things to consider about this purchase. Thanks.
If you're after a JVM 410 there's someone on the Musicians Mart NE page who's selling it and would post it for 750?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by blue_strat
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50
Start counting down from a thousand years to zero, and maybe at that point a mesa express will be capable of doing anything resembling tight high gain tones.

If you like convenience, get a kemper PA.

I personally very much like the ENGL powerball 2 for its tightness and high gain channels before everything, though it can well do a good crunch and a nice clean.

Also if you gotta play clubs you need a PA system.
If you don't have one and the clubs you'll be playing in don't as well, get one 'cause a nice PA system + a half nice amp setup will sound much better in a band mix than a good amp with no PA system.

Not to you maybe, but to the audience it'll make a hell of a difference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Save some money and get a used Peavey JSX 2x12 combo or get a JSX head and a 2x12 cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1^
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
EVH 5150, the 50 watt version (either combo or head) would probably be better for you than the 100 watt version, and if I'm right it has a power sponge so you can lower the power even further and it can make just about any sound you could ever want and then some. If that's not up your alley though I'd put a vote towards some kind of 4 channel JVM, they tend to sound great with less hours spent tweaking knobs compared to other multi-channel amps, at least I find so anyway, and they're very versatile machines.

I wouldn't go for a Blackstar personally. They CAN sound great, but I always found it was a lot more work to coax a good sound out of one compared to a lot of other amps, and they seem to be very bass-heavy and muddy a lot of the time, though more experienced Blackstar users might be able to be more helpful with them than me.
For the Engl Powerball I'd need to buy a cab but the ENGL ones are quite expensive, is there a cheaper cab that would do the job well? What PA systems would you recommend to stay within budget? And the Kemper, I'd need a power amp with it right? What is a good but reasonably priced option? Thanks for the heads up on the Blackstar, I had a read around and I think you're probably right, takes a lot of work to get a good live tone. The EVH and the Peavey I'm not so keen on, personally find the 5150 tone is great but not suited to what I'm going for (as much as I love Machine Head), thanks for the suggestion though. The Mesa Boogie again is not up my street, the lead channel doesn't have a low, deep, but full grunt. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Quote by luke.saunders.3
For the Engl Powerball I'd need to buy a cab but the ENGL ones are quite expensive, is there a cheaper cab that would do the job well? What PA systems would you recommend to stay within budget? And the Kemper, I'd need a power amp with it right? What is a good but reasonably priced option? Thanks for the heads up on the Blackstar, I had a read around and I think you're probably right, takes a lot of work to get a good live tone. The EVH and the Peavey I'm not so keen on, personally find the 5150 tone is great but not suited to what I'm going for (as much as I love Machine Head), thanks for the suggestion though. The Mesa Boogie again is not up my street, the lead channel doesn't have a low, deep, but full grunt. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Harley Benton 2X12 with V30's or a Roadkill Custom Cab.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Check out Mesa Rectoverb or Tremoverb those two are much beefier amps my Recto covers alot of ground. Or dare I say a Randall RM100 hit it up with pre amp modules of your pick.
CATH come back me up Randall would be perfect and in budget.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Last edited by RJH11 at Sep 27, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Save some money and get a used Peavey JSX 2x12 combo or get a JSX head and a 2x12 cab

Yeppers. This guy is getting good at recommendations
Thoughts on the Randall Thrasher? I hear its clean channel is actually quite good and its high gain capabilities are awesome.
Haven't played the Thrasher but seriously look
at the RM100 super versatile amp.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I've not been able to find any ground my Orange Rockerverb can't cover. A Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier, or a Rectoverb or Tremoverb should get you there, too. These can all be had in your price range if you can find them used in your area. An Egnater Tourmaster is definitely in your budget. The RM100 is a good suggestion, also.

How clean do you need it to be?
Quote by blue_strat
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50

I had a 5-25 and loved the sound, but it went back to the shop after a couple of weeks because of excessive noise on the clean setting. We tried all kinds of tube swapping and it didn't help. So buyer beware - if I could find a quiet one I would have it in a flash.

FWIW, I love the Transatlantic.
I need it to be pretty clean, quite a bit of headroom, warm and rounded.

I like the fact that the ENGL powerball and the Marshall have Midi footswitches, I know Randall sell a midi footswitch (the RF8) but don't know if it can be used with the Thrasher. A midi footswitch would be ideal for live stuff as I tend to use quite a few different tones so if there are other good amps which integrate that would be great to know about them.
Quote by RJH11
Or dare I say a Randall RM100 hit it up with pre amp modules of your pick.
CATH come back me up Randall would be perfect and in budget.
Hell yeah.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hell yeah.

I think we should find the schematics for the egnater dual channel module conversion! As awesome as 3 channels is, 6 is better!!

Also, I wonder what it would take to figure out a "blend" circuit where you could activate 2 modules at the same time and set the blend ratios for an even more unique tonal palette?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Jaded Faith MTS modules come in dual channel if you sling them some extra dosh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Randall RM100 will do what you need then some. It is also midi capable. Its a great often overlooked amp because so many are misinformed about them. Its not a gimmick amp its a pro rig of very high caliber. I'd ditch my other amps before I give up my Randall if that tells you anything.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I have not had mine for long, but they are very versatile just with the modules I have. Once you decide to venture down the rabbit hole to module world your mind will explode, but you will have so many possible choices that you will be covered for pretty much any and every genre.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Cathbard
Jaded Faith MTS modules come in dual channel if you sling them some extra dosh.

Even for the Randall modules or only the Egnater MTS?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Even for the Randall modules or only the Egnater MTS?

I know at one point you could get the RM amps converted to accept either the single or dual channel modules (and IIRC, they will accept the duals anyway, but can only use one of the channels) but I don't think anyone mods them anymore. I'd really like to find the mod schematics...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin