http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/watch-rochester-cloak-uses-ordinary-lenses-to-hide-objects-across-continuous-range-of-angles-70592/

Inspired perhaps by Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak, scientists have recently developed several ways—some simple and some involving new technologies—to hide objects from view. The latest effort, developed at the University of Rochester, not only overcomes some of the limitations of previous devices, but it uses inexpensive, readily available materials in a novel configuration.

“There’ve been many high tech approaches to cloaking and the basic idea behind these is to take light and have it pass around something as if it isn’t there, often using high-tech or exotic materials,” said John Howell, a professor of physics at the University of Rochester. Forgoing the specialized components, Howell and graduate student Joseph Choi developed a combination of four standard lenses that keeps the object hidden as the viewer moves up to several degrees away from the optimal viewing position.

“This is the first device that we know of that can do three-dimensional, continuously multidirectional cloaking, which works for transmitting rays in the visible spectrum,” said Choi, a PhD student at Rochester’s Institute of Optics.

Many cloaking designs work fine when you look at an object straight on, but if you move your viewpoint even a little, the object becomes visible, explains Howell. Choi added that previous cloaking devices can also cause the background to shift drastically, making it obvious that the cloaking device is present.

In order to both cloak an object and leave the background undisturbed, the researchers determined the lens type and power needed, as well as the precise distance to separate the four lenses. To test their device, they placed the cloaked object in front of a grid background. As they looked through the lenses and changed their viewing angle by moving from side to side, the grid shifted accordingly as if the cloaking device was not there. There was no discontinuity in the grid lines behind the cloaked object, compared to the background, and the grid sizes (magnification) matched.

etc etc

What would you use this technology for, pit?
mischief
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
causing a ruckus
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Why do this when you can poke a person in the eye and make them blind?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'd be a filthy Romulan
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I would hide myself from the world so I could finally live in perfect solitude
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I would hide myself from the world so I could finally live in perfect solitude

In perfect isolation
Here behind the wall
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
that quote was password to the secret map thing

not the invisibility cloak

if you are going to make a lame reference at least get it right
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by deadsmileyface
really

Ok, I'd actually be like an invisible version of this guy. Instead of me not seeing things, they wouldn't see me.

Quote by Wormholes
Gettin in trouble in yo neighborhood?

Who you gonna call?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by ultimate-slash
Well, that movie sure would have sucked less if it was invisible.

The movie was all right, but it was too dark for most audiences.
Quote by snipelfritz
Who you gonna call?

john jacob jingleheimer schmidt
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
john jacob jingleheimer smitty werbenjagermanjensen
Quote by deadsmileyface
I'd par babylons from the shadows

only acceptable use ah mi dis teg-a-reg mavis ya hear

Quote by MetalMullet
I'd sneak into Emma Wattson's dressing room.

Great mind's think a like. hehehehehehehe
Quote by MetalMullet
I'd sneak into Emma Wattson's dressing room.

Quote by maowcat
Great mind's think a like. hehehehehehehe

How...classy of you two.
I would use it to commit white collar crimes.

Bite me sam.

Or I would just throw stuff at people.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 27, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
I would use it to commit white collar crimes.

Bite me sam.

You and I shall battle to the end of time. #nerdism