Hi guys!
I'm going to get a new tube amp, but I can't decide which one to choose. I mostly play metal (Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth), and power metal (Dragonforce, Hammerfall etc.). The amp needs to have a good distortion, but the cleans have to be okay as well (not like a fender of course, but at least useable). I've found some amps that I think will fit my playing style and my price range (about 1000 USD). The amps I'm choosing between are:

Marshall DSL40C
Bugera 6262 Infinium
Laney VH100R
IronHeart IRT60H
Orange Dark Terror DA15H
Blackstar Venue HT Club 40
Randall - RG75G2 - 1X12 75W

Which one do you think is the best of them, and why?

All help is greatly appreciated
The DSL will not be heavy enough if you ask me.
Also if you gotta get one find a used DSL401 or a DSL50/100 head + a cheap half nice cab.

The 6262 sounds good but it has lotsa reliability problems, and for that money you could score a used (or new combo) 6505+.

Dunnow about the Laney.

The ironhear will not be heavy enough imo.

The dark terror is small, you might not be able to get it to sound nice at the volumes you like.

Stay away from the blackstar one and the randall one.

I'd get a used mesa rectoverb or tremoverb or a 6505+.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The DSL will not be heavy enough if you ask me.
Also if you gotta get one find a used DSL401 or a DSL50/100 head + a cheap half nice cab.

The 6262 sounds good but it has lotsa reliability problems, and for that money you could score a used (or new combo) 6505+.

Dunnow about the Laney.

The ironhear will not be heavy enough imo.

The dark terror is small, you might not be able to get it to sound nice at the volumes you like.

Stay away from the blackstar one and the randall one.

I'd get a used mesa rectoverb or tremoverb or a 6505+.

Thanks! Mesas are extremely expensive here in Norway, but I might be able to find a used one somewhere. I did thought about getting a 6505+, but its a little expensive as well. The DSL401 is nice, but it's hard to find.
Can you get something like a Marshall TSL? That's what you need.

The DSL might work, but you'll want a boost. And maybe a noise gate. Those new DSLs are not impressive at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 27, 2014,
I've found that I can get a pretty wicked Pantera tone through a Rectifier. It's not exact, but it's within the ballpark. Metallica will sound pretty awesome too, even if the first couple albums where hotrodded 800s basically. Megadeth is definitely more Marshally, but to be honest, Megadeth has some legendary albums, but their tone isn't that great. I think you'll still be happy with the Dual Rec.

I've owned the RG2 75watt 1x12 and gigged with it. It's not horrible, but it doesn't do Pantera without a lot of help. Don't get it.

I wouldn't buy a Bugera 6262. I've seen Bugera's crap out before and they're not worth the hassle that comes with that sort of stuff.
Last edited by evmac at Sep 27, 2014,
Don't Hammerfall use a mix of Engl Invaders and JVM's now?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Offworld92
Can you get something like a Marshall TSL? That's what you need.

The DSL might work, but you'll want a boost. And maybe a noise gate. Those new DSLs are not impressive at all.

I could try to find a Marshall TSL, but they're way too expensive as new. But maybe I can find a used one. Will check it out.
Thanks!
Looking at your list again, The Ironheart is a pretty good option IMO. I would definitely test it out. A TSL won't be any better, especially when you factor in price.
Quote by Soundbear
I could try to find a Marshall TSL, but they're way too expensive as new. But maybe I can find a used one. Will check it out.
Thanks!

General impression I got with the TSL was tons of gain, but sounding really flat and fizzy.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by evmac
I've found that I can get a pretty wicked Pantera tone through a Rectifier. It's not exact, but it's within the ballpark. Metallica will sound pretty awesome too, even if the first couple albums where hotrodded 800s basically. Megadeth is definitely more Marshally, but to be honest, Megadeth has some legendary albums, but their tone isn't that great. I think you'll still be happy with the Dual Rec.

I've owned the RG2 75watt 1x12 and gigged with it. It's not horrible, but it doesn't do Pantera without a lot of help. Don't get it.

I wouldn't buy a Bugera 6262. I've seen Bugera's crap out before and they're not worth the hassle that comes with that sort of stuff.

I see. The Dual Rec sounds good. I've heard many good things about it. Maybe I'll have to expand my budget a bit, cause the mesas are really expensive. Thanks!
Quote by evmac
Looking at your list again, The Ironheart is a pretty good option IMO. I would definitely test it out. A TSL won't be any better, especially when you factor in price.

Yeah, I like the Ironheart as well. Seems good and is not that expensive :P
What about a Peavey XXX or 3120?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Fisheth24
General impression I got with the TSL was tons of gain, but sounding really flat and fizzy.

Hmm, maybe the TSL isn't worth the price? Idk, though. Think I'm going to check out some samples on YouTube.
Quote by Offworld92
What about a Peavey XXX or 3120?

The Peavey XXX looks nice, but are the cleans any good? Could not find very much info about the 3120. Is it any good?
Cleans are very usable on the xxx and the od channels slay.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
XXX is nice, but it's really compressed. I'm prefering my JCA HDM 100 with a boost in front of it to it.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Soundbear
Hi guys!
I'm going to get a new tube amp, but I can't decide which one to choose. I mostly play metal (Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth), and power metal (Dragonforce, Hammerfall etc.). The amp needs to have a good distortion, but the cleans have to be okay as well (not like a fender of course, but at least useable). I've found some amps that I think will fit my playing style and my price range (about 1000 USD). The amps I'm choosing between are:

Marshall DSL40C
Bugera 6262 Infinium
Laney VH100R
IronHeart IRT60H
Orange Dark Terror DA15H
Blackstar Venue HT Club 40
Randall - RG75G2 - 1X12 75W

Which one do you think is the best of them, and why?

All help is greatly appreciated

Too bad you don't live in the states. You can get a Boogie Recto for a grand all over where I live.
The used market is flooded with them.
I like the EVH by Fender. That is a wicked 3 channel amp and will do anything from Fender cleans to crunch to the heaviest gain you can imagine. The combo is 50 watts and is loud! The cool thing about the combo is you can dial it from 1 watt to 50 watts.I heard a guy gigging with one last month and the 50 watt combo kept up with a Recto thru a 2x12 and played over a drum kit in a good sized bar.
They are awesome amps!
Quote by RJH11
Cleans are very usable on the xxx and the od channels slay.

I see. Thanks! I will consider to buy one of this. Just have to check the price first
Quote by Fisheth24
XXX is nice, but it's really compressed. I'm prefering my JCA HDM 100 with a boost in front of it to it.

Nice! Good to hear what different players think about the XXX.
Quote by shooter.556
Too bad you don't live in the states. You can get a Boogie Recto for a grand all over where I live.
The used market is flooded with them.
I like the EVH by Fender. That is a wicked 3 channel amp and will do anything from Fender cleans to crunch to the heaviest gain you can imagine. The combo is 50 watts and is loud! The cool thing about the combo is you can dial it from 1 watt to 50 watts.I heard a guy gigging with one last month and the 50 watt combo kept up with a Recto thru a 2x12 and played over a drum kit in a good sized bar.
They are awesome amps!

Yeah, it sucks. And if I'm going to import one they will still be pretty expensive due to all the extra taxes and fees
I've not listed fender because i thought their distortion was a little too weak for my playing style
But the cleans are the best
The XXX is the same exact amp as the 3120, it just got a facelift. Whichever one you can find/is cheaper is okay. Cleans are usable, sterile, IMO good for those 80s type clean tones.

The Marshall TSL definitely has varied opinions, as you can see. I personally would go for one for what you want to do. IMO it's a really good balance of a British flavor with a ton of gain, that can be dialed in bright and scooped for those kinds of tones you want.

Definitely be scouring demos on Youtube. If you listen to enough different demos, you can start to triangulate what the amp actually sounds like.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Soundbear

I've not listed fender because i thought their distortion was a little too weak for my playing style
But the cleans are the best

Generally yes that would be true about Fender + metal, however EVH 5150 is a different story. EVH 5150 is sonically from the same breed as Peavey's 5150/6505 amps but refined further.

*edit* To clarify, Peavey 5150 (later renamed 6505 after Van Halen left Peavey) was Van Halens signature amp. Now he is with Fender and while the circuit is new he still has a similar idea of what is optimal high gain sound, which is ripping of Soldano SLO100 and hard basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5kf5CuB8FA

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Sep 28, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
The XXX is the same exact amp as the 3120, it just got a facelift. Whichever one you can find/is cheaper is okay. Cleans are usable, sterile, IMO good for those 80s type clean tones.

The Marshall TSL definitely has varied opinions, as you can see. I personally would go for one for what you want to do. IMO it's a really good balance of a British flavor with a ton of gain, that can be dialed in bright and scooped for those kinds of tones you want.

Definitely be scouring demos on Youtube. If you listen to enough different demos, you can start to triangulate what the amp actually sounds like.

Great! The XXX seems easier to find, so if I find one for a reasonable price I might buy one. I think I'm going to see if it's possible to try it out at a local store first.
Quote by MaaZeus
Generally yes that would be true about Fender + metal, however EVH 5150 is a different story. EVH 5150 is sonically from the same breed as Peavey's 5150/6505 amps but refined further.

*edit* To clarify, Peavey 5150 (later renamed 6505 after Van Halen left Peavey) was Van Halens signature amp. Now he is with Fender and while the circuit is new he still has a similar idea of what is optimal high gain sound, which is ripping of Soldano SLO100 and hard basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5kf5CuB8FA

Haha cool! I'll check out the EVH 5150. If it's similar to the Peavey 6505 then it might be what I'm looking for. I really like the Peavey 6505, but it's so expensive :/
I've figured that the amps I have listed are too loud for my use, as I'm going to use it as a practice amp at home. I'm going to have a look at the lower watt amps and find one that sounds good at low volumes. Thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions and recommendations. I'm sure this will come in handy the day I'm going to buy a tube amp for stage use

This thread can now be closed.
Low wattage does not equal good sound in bedroom. High wattage amps have a perfectly functional volume knob and can sound just fine on low volumes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Low wattage does not equal good sound in bedroom. High wattage amps have a perfectly functional volume knob and can sound just fine on low volumes.

That.

TS if you really think you need a low wattage/portable amp look at the Engl Iron Ball or the Orange Jim Root Terror.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by MaaZeus
Now he is with Fender and while the circuit is new he still has a similar idea of what is optimal high gain sound, which is ripping of Soldano SLO100 and hard basically.
The 6505+ pre actually is a pretty good copy of the SLO pre.
The power section though is hella different, so while the sound is still that one, it's more compressed and definitely angry.

Also the cleans suck in comparison to the SLO

The EVH 5150 is a more calm/mature/controlled 6505+ if you will.
The sound is still fairly close, but it's less angry.
And the cleans are better.

Edit: yeah TS, everything sounds better when turned up, to an extent, and a small amp will not sound better than a big amp at low volumes just because it's a smaller amp.

No such thing as "using more of the potential of an amp".

Stuff sounds more dull at low volumes because the speakers are heavy and not really that high quality, so they distort the sound a bit when reproducing stuff at low volumes, and since they don't move much they don't move much air, and if you want a sound with body you want your speakers to move air which they do if you turn up the volume
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Sep 28, 2014,